Thread: Trail Cameras

Default Trail Cameras

I am looking into a trail camera. I have zero history with them. Can anyone give me a few pointers on what to look for or what models are the best bang for the buck. I am looking for a camera to monitor a bait station. Thanks.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

if you ever plan on using them for / or around/ bears... get infrared flash only.. they will eat them every time... i like moultry cams have lost 3 bushnell to bears due to flash... plan on a minimum of 300 bucks.. go cheap and you'll do it several times, might as well buy a good one up front.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    if you ever plan on using them for / or around/ bears... get infrared flash only.. they will eat them every time... i like moultry cams have lost 3 bushnell to bears due to flash... plan on a minimum of 300 bucks.. go cheap and you'll do it several times, might as well buy a good one up front.
    I had no problems with the Prowler by Jim Shockey that was a gift. It has a regular flash and we had no sniffs or anything happen to the camera. Had some big boys hitting and at least two different browns. Even the smaller black bears didn't mess with it. I think though we have well manored bears in my area. They never mess up the barrels or destroy anything else.

I bought my dad a Moultry IR model with viewer built in. Never used this season. Will try it out next year. I bought him a metal tree mount online for it made out of 3/8" plate steel! So bears or people can't steal it. Although like mentioned above, my cam was just straped to the tree with supplied nylon web strap. It was fine all season.

More importantly is to keep scent off the camera. Use gloves before and after checking the bait.

I just bought a 5MP Bushnell and it has the infared LED's for the "flash". The first time I put it out, I got 16 pics of black bears. The camera was about 30 feet from the game trail. Last week I put it right next to the trail and only got one good pic of a blacky walking down the trail. So far I haven't had a problem with them chewing on it.