Thread: 2009 Harvest Reports Now Available!

Thumbs up 2009 Harvest Reports Now Available!

Just an FYI, the 2009 Harvest Reports are now available on the ADF&G website.....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well that wont do us any good... the 09 tags all need to be turned in and replaced with 10/11 tags...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Harvest Reports

Where is it?...I can't get to it...can someone post the link, I did a search on the site and it doesn't even direct me either....

Default link

https://secure.wildlife.alaska.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=harvestreports.main

enjoy!

I find it easier to just go to this page select the animal I wish to look at harvest reports on. Then click on harvest statistics and then select the year and type of hunt (draw, registration, general harvest). Makes it pretty easy IMO.

Thanks Lanche I finally found it....Chuck

what is the purpose/point of being able to see this info?

Matt,

Different people use this info different. Its handy when apply for permits to know the number of people that actually hunted a draw and of those that actually hunted how many were successful. Plus its just kind of fun to peruse and see what different tag success rates are just for the heck of it. For example of the 62 people that actually hunted DG 475 (180 actually drew the permit so only 1/3 roughly of the permitees actually hunted this hunt) only 38 goats were taken or only a 61% hunter success rate, which I thought would be much higher than that.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    what is the purpose/point of being able to see this info?

Some might get mad for me saying this....but, If you know how to read the harvest info. you can use it to your advantage and gather valuable info. on different harvest and draw areas, I'm not gonna go into detail, you have to figure that out for your self, this is how I did it, and got started.

All I can say is....from the info. I have seen for last sheep season, area 14C is not all what its cracked out to be, neither is Tok....but Delta CUA on the otherhand....is really looking good, and as for harvest areas, the Brooks is starting to produce more larger rams....Nice!

And as for the only ram taken under the DS206 tag in the Tanana uplands, does anyone know about that ram? I'd like to see a pic of it (42.75") the only sheep tag I put in for, I may have seen that ram 3 years ago.....dang it!!!!

Kaha, why do you care about a little ol' 42.75 incher??? If you dig into the stats you will see where a 54.74 incher was taken in unit 12 back in 1998....now thats a real bruiser! hahahaha

Yeah I saw that....I did see another that was 60 or so........I think those are errors or typos.

Looks like I was the only tag filler for DB990 last year. Seems like they could issue a few more tags for that hunt. We also got word that Delta Bison was going to be low success, but it looks like there was a fairly decent ~80% success rate for those that hunted.

Always interesting to see the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Matt,

Different people use this info different. Its handy when apply for permits to know the number of people that actually hunted a draw and of those that actually hunted how many were successful. Plus its just kind of fun to peruse and see what different tag success rates are just for the heck of it. For example of the 62 people that actually hunted DG 475 (180 actually drew the permit so only 1/3 roughly of the permitees actually hunted this hunt) only 38 goats were taken or only a 61% hunter success rate, which I thought would be much higher than that.
    Interesting, so our group accounted for 10% of the total harvest for that tag in about 36 hours from first to last goat on the ground!

What I find even more shocking that only 2 of the 15 permitees for the Mills Creek goat permit on the KP got a goat. My pops was one of the two and there were a lots of goats spotted in just a couple hours and a little bit of boot leather. Said 11 people hunted but wonder if they ever got out of the parking lot from Tern Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    What I find even more shocking that only 2 of the 15 permitees for the Mills Creek goat permit on the KP got a goat. My pops was one of the two and there were a lots of goats spotted in just a couple hours and a little bit of boot leather. Said 11 people hunted but wonder if they ever got out of the parking lot from Tern Lake.
    What?!? Of all the hunts on the Peninsula, that has got to be one of the most sure-thing goat hunts out there. There are always a string of goats all along that ridgeline above the road. I could see a few hunters holding out for big billies, but two out of eleven? Wow.

OK, fun to look at the numbers for sure - I looked at Moose - RMA 445 - 189 hunters - 0 moose taken - ???? For you guys in the know whats up with that?
    Perhaps those hunters are VEGITARIANS????
    I wonder how many anti hunters may be buying up permits and NOT hunting?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I dont know about you guys, but I always take the Harvest Report info with a grain of salt. I suspect that there are occassional input errors from the folks that put the numbers into the database, hence typos like the 54.75" ram from 1998. Also, hunters are not always the most honest or precise when reporting their hunts. I would venture to say that some sheep hunters actually "throw off" their scent trail by reporting that they took a sheep in Drainage A when they actually harvested the sheep in Drainage B, so the stats with make the next sheep hunter want to hunt Drainage B. How often does this occur? I have no idea, but if you take into account the "errors" in reporting then you might have a more realistic view of the stats. I'm just saying....

The info is useful, but I don't see for sheep under the general season where it list what was taken is certain drainages. I do see where is shows the drainages that were claimed as having been hunted, but it isn't more specific than that... Pretty general unless I am overlooking something.
    AKShawn