Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do you clean your fish?

Default Where do you clean your fish?

I'm going dipping for the first time on Monday. I made a little bench cleaning station. I don't have any idea where to dump the guts and bones. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I can think of one good spot, not far from your place.....

Welcome home dude.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I thought you were camping tonight
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Negative. Camped last night, home this afternoon....Packing for the next fly-out tonight....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    I'm going dipping for the first time on Monday. I made a little bench cleaning station. I don't have any idea where to dump the guts and bones. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Right on the beach. Below the high tide line.

My three approaches have been:

-Leave it all right there. What doesn't get immediately consumed by seagulls will wash out with the tide. The only problem is that it will also foul up other dippers' nets.

-Pack it upriver a ways and feed the rainbows. My parents have a cabin up near Skilak, and one year we cleaned our fish there and put 'em back into the river.

-Take it all home and freeze it for shrimp bait.

One of my pet peeves is people who clean their fish right on the beach within the dipping zone and just dump the carcasses right on the beach (frequently above the high water mark). The seagulls don't do a very thorough or fast job of "cleaning" so it creates quite a mess for others. I suggest cleaning away from the fishing area and dump them back in the ocean outside the marker. Of course Brian's suggestion to take them upstream is a good one also. The dead salmon upstream is a key ingredient to the health of their young 'uns as they provide fertilizer that perpetuates the spawning grounds.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Where I go (N side of Kasilof, S side of Kenai) this isn't really possible. My fish are in the front cooler mounted on my ATV, and the only places it can reach the water is where people dip. Sorry.

On the bright side, I don't leave any carcasses or heads behind, just guts. Best if you slide them into the water right next to you where they're scared to land, then poof they're gone.

This past week I succeeded in processing many salmon like this without any flock of seagulls coming in.

We collect the guts in a bucket, save the roe to smoke and make a really wicked gravy, and to make eggs for next year's kings, and give the milt to the gulls or take it all home for the compost. We filet at home and put all heads and bones in the compost to heat it up very nicely. That's our "miracle grow".

Smoked roe gravy!? Blllaaaaahhhhtttttt, bbbaaarrrrfffffff, hick-up, bllaaaaahhhhhhtttttt...lol
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Default trash day soon?

Hope that trash day is within a day or two, because otherwise you'll just be baiting the bears into eating your neighborhood children. If trash day is too far away then you can take them 2 miles to the dump, or freeze the carcasses until trash day.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanly View Post
    Smoked roe gravy!? Blllaaaaahhhhtttttt, bbbaaarrrrfffffff, hick-up, bllaaaaahhhhhhtttttt...lol

I just cut the heads off and gut the fish, everything else is done back home in the garage where I don't get sand all over everything. At the Kasilof (south side) my buddy and I will carry our cooler 50 - 75 yards down the beach away from most dippers, put the heads and guts into a 5 gallon bucket, and toss the contents out into the water when we're all done. The gulls will still flock around you but not nearly as bad as when you're tossing the contents of each individual fish into the water one at a time. When they see they're not getting a free meal everytime you open the cooler they tend to stop flying overhead and just wait on the ground. Plus with the bucket, I can wade out into the water a ways and dump the guts where the tide carries everything out.

OMG
    I read this thread again, ummmmmm, Blllaaaaahhhhtttttt, bbbaaarrrrfffffff, hick-up, bllaaaaahhhhhhtttttt. I CAN NOT even begin to imagine what that would smell like. Maybe the women's prison volleyball, track, softball, basketball teams in Arizona after a July practice?! Of course, no offense to any ex-con forum members...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Might be best not to clean your fish at the beach:

http://www.adn.com/2010/07/16/136993...nai-river.html

I have been dip netting the kenai for about 8 years now. We primarily fish the soldotna side. We have gotten pretty good at making it as easy as possible. We haul the wheelers down there and fellet on the fron rack and store fish on the rear rack. We usually have one person in camp who's jub is to jusp pick up the fish as we drag them in.
    I am very sad to see the city trying to rip off all of the dip netters by charging them $60 a day to camp on there beach. I could understand this charge if they supplied something to everyone other than an outhouse. I am so aginst this ridicolous charge it makes me sick!
    Here is the wheeler we use.

Then here the picture of the lady after haveing her fellet one cooler of fish! She really enjoyed it for the first half an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by powderhound View Post
    I am very sad to see the city trying to rip off all of the dip netters by charging them $60 a day to camp on there beach. I could understand this charge if they supplied something to everyone other than an outhouse. I am so aginst this ridicolous charge it makes me sick!
    Kenai isn't trying to rip anybody off, they're just tired of mass human sewage and disregard for the ecosystem. It cost them a fortune to get the beach cleaned after a weekend of carnage. They literally have to bulldoze the carcass below the tide line so the current will wash it out. You say you are very sad that Kenai needs to pay employees. Its annoying people think this fishery is an entitlement to bring in all your anchorage groceries and leave the trash. Walk a mile in the resident of the areas shoes before you get to sad about paying 60 bucks to go get more fish than most people can ever use in a winter.

Talking

Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

You really believe that each tent pitched on the Kenai river should have to pay $60 a day. Do the math on that, there is no way it cost the city that much to dispose of the waste, outhouses, and general clean up. Yes most people who use the area do not leave the area as clean as it was prior to the opener. Lets get realistic here, they are not just paying the employees with that money. The city is making money hand over fist @ $60 a day per tent!
    Get Real!

Ohh yah, thanks to the fine city of Kenai for allowing us AK residents to harvest salmon on there property! Maybe the city should donate a portion of the profits to the state DNR.

Default hmmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Kenai isn't trying to rip anybody off, they're just tired of mass human sewage and disregard for the ecosystem. It cost them a fortune to get the beach cleaned after a weekend of carnage. They literally have to bulldoze the carcass below the tide line so the current will wash it out. You say you are very sad that Kenai needs to pay employees. Its annoying people think this fishery is an entitlement to bring in all your anchorage groceries and leave the trash. Walk a mile in the resident of the areas shoes before you get to sad about paying 60 bucks to go get more fish than most people can ever use in a winter.
    I agree with you in principal, but 60 bucks seems a high amount to me as well. Just my opinion.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast