Thread: Personal Dungeness Crab

Default Personal Dungeness Crab

Just wondering if anyone has ever done the personal use dungeness crab fishing. Do they live in Prince William Sound or Cook Inlet? If you've had experience with them in the southcentral area, I'd love to know.

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has ever done the personal use dungeness crab fishing. Do they live in Prince William Sound or Cook Inlet? If you've had experience with them in the southcentral area, I'd love to know.

There has not been an open season for dungies in south central for years. They do live in CI as well as PWS and I suspect they still taste as sweet as ever.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default ...

Lame, but thanks I guess. That clears things up.

highestview, were you aware that there is a fishery for tanner crabs in Kachemak Bay? Every bit as tasty as dungies, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    highestview, were you aware that there is a fishery for tanner crabs in Kachemak Bay? Every bit as tasty as dungies, in my opinion.
    Brian, does that open soon? (I'm too lazy to look it up). Does that fishery get better towards the fall?
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    Brian, does that open soon? (I'm too lazy to look it up). Does that fishery get better towards the fall?
    I'm no expert on the fishery. I think that it opens on July 15th, and I think that the fishing is fine in July, but that the crabs are more "full" (have more meat) towards winter. There are some past threads about it if you search.