Thread: Springfield XD pistols

Default Springfield XD pistols

I'm going to get one next week. I want the subcompact chambered for the 40 S&W cartridge. I handled this pistol as well as the Glock and the S&W M&P series. For a small pistol this one fits my hand the best. And I prefer the extra thump of the .40 compared to say, the 9mm in the same pistol.

Anyone have a subcompact, especially in .40, or any XD pistol for that matter? I know each pistol is different, but what ammo does your like?

I have an XD40 in the 4". Nice gun, shoots well, and is comfortable in the hand.

I love my Springfield Armory XD40 and XD40 Tactical as well or better than any other full-size .40 S&W pistols I have, including my H&K USP & USP Expert, and my Glock G20 (except for the caliber difference as to the latter). I can shoot the XD40 well somewhat intuitively.

And I assume the compact versions are excellent.

But there is one thing I like a lot more about the Glock G27 than the XD40 Compact--size efficiency:

Gun: G27 / XD40 Subcompact

Length: 6.29” / 6.25”

Weight: 19.75 ozs / 27 ozs

Height: 4.17” / 4.75”

Barrel Length: 3.5” / 3.0”

The G27 is more efficient IMO because the XD40 SC is 3.25” longer overall than its barrel. The whole G27 is only 2.8” longer than its barrel.

Both guns hold 9+1 without extended magazines and they are essentially the same length, but the G27 is about 7 ounces lighter, more than a half inch shorter, and has a half-inch-longer barrel. I really like the 3.5” barrel in such a small pistol, and the G27, for some reason, recoils as-little or even less-than many heavier .40 S&W guns in a more-concealable package.

I really, really like my full-size XD and my XD Tactical, but the G27 is, by far, my favorite compact service-caliber weapon.

I am only saying this in case you haven’t finalized your choice yet and you want to consider other options. If you have finalized, I think the world of the XD40 guns and imagine that you will love it.

Neither of my XD40s has ever failed to fire, with any ammo. I generally do not fire junk through them, but sometimes fire discounted bulk ammo. Never a failure. That's why, untill I got my 10mm, I used to carry my XD40 in the backwoods, when the most likely threat was from people, and the worst possible one was a Colorado-sized black bear.

I have the XD 40S&W compact and I love it! It has shot all rounds through without any hiccups. I have thrown Federal rounds and the cheap bulk rounds through, and it doesn't care which one you use.

I did change the sights, I added the Advantage Tactical sights to mine and it even shoots better. The advantage sights use the triangle approach like Styer does on there pistols.

Default XD40 Subcompact

I have one of the subs, and yes, it is heavier, but not enough to bother me using a decent belt and holster. The extra weight helps controllability and it feels good in my hand. It came with a standard 9 round magazine and an extended mag which I use at the range or when at home. it is an utterly reliable gun and eats anything. It sure fits my hand better than a Glock, even with the shorter mag. I have nothing against Glocks, but never liked the way they feel to my hand.

I have a XDm 9 and I can shoot it better than any pistol I've owned. At 25 yards I can hit a 6" plate almost every shot. I feel very comfident with how it shoots
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

I checked out the Glock 27 as well the other day. A very nice pistol. The only reason why I'm not getting that one is because it doesn't feel near as good in my hand as the XD subcompact model does.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I checked out the Glock 27 as well the other day. A very nice pistol. The only reason why I'm not getting that one is because it doesn't feel near as good in my hand as the XD subcompact model does.
    That's a good reason to go with the XD. I haven't used the smaller ones, but the full-sized ones, to me, are extremely reliable and easy to shoot well. I shoot my two better than a lot of more-expensive guns.

Both the Glock and XD are quality firearms. Either one should suit you well. If the XD feels better in your hand, it is the better firearm for you.

I have several Glocks and no XD's. I have handled and fired the XD. If I was buying now instead of when I got most of my Glocks, I probably would go with the XD also.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Matt- I have an XD-M full sized .40 and it will feed anything I have tried. Rest assured that the compact should as well.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

XD .45 4" Barrel. feeds anything from ball to XTP hollow points reliably. I chose it over the Glock for the same reasons you stated and have been very satisfied.