Thread: Homer Flying

Default Homer Flying

I will be in Homer the end of the month with some family from out of state. I will have my maule on wheels with me and would like to take some of the family out on an overnight trip. Any suggestions? The plane is on 8.50 x 6 tires and I am competent with it off airport. Ideally the place wouldn't be too commercial although that might not be so bad either. Just looking for a fun getaway while down there. Are there any rec cabins around? If it won't work out in the plane does anyone rent a boat out down there?

Hmmm, since you are tires,, Too Bad you are not on floats...

You could zip over across the bay to Seldovia. It is a neat little town and everything is within walking distance of the runway.

For a camp out... Maybe the old saw-mill beach runway at Jackaloff Bay. It is about 800 feet long.

There are also a few good beach landing spots on the opposite side (south) of Kachemak Bay from Homer.

Port Graham and Nanwalek (formerly English Bay) have good runways... But there is nothing to do there, unless you are from there....

There is some good beach down by the old Chrome townsite as well. Just make sure you get up above high tide line so you do not end up like the guy who's Maule would not start a few years back. The waves got him and ate his plane.

Make sure you tell somebody which beach or strip you are heading off-to...

Give me a call when you get into the area...907-226-2899 (can buzz) I think my guest pilot cabin is booked for the last full week of July, but I should be able to point you towards some good landing spots, plus at least one local person will know where you are,,,, just in case.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default seldovia

Seldovia is a good little place to get away and there are places to stay and thing to do.
    Float Pilot, if you are ref. to the guy in Dog Fish bay, that was his second A/C he lost to envroment issuies. Some people have no luck at all.

I went looking for him twice. Once when he landed the Maule, with a known starter problem, below high tide line on the beach, past his declared destination, and nobody knew where he had gone...
    Then later again when he took a second Maule to the south side of the Peninsula and did not call his wife on the SAT PHONE she made him take along. After we flew down thru a hard overcast over the ocean we saw his plane safe and sound on the beach.
    I did read that he had another Maule boo-boo up by Wasilla not to long ago..
    And of course there was the old boo-boo in the C-180...
    He does seem to be cursed...or something.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Thanks for the help float pilot. Just bought some floats but they need a little work before they can go on. Maybe by next year. On the spots sounds, like fun and I will check them out when we get down there. I was also thinking about heading over to Iliamna and fishing and camping off the end of the runway. I haven't done it before but used to live there and always wanted to.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.