Thread: Stuart Creek North of Valdez

Smile Stuart Creek North of Valdez

North of Valdez and Thompson Pass and just South of Teikel on the Richardson Hwy is Stuart Creek. I was told there was a trail up Stuart Creek that eventually intersects with the Tonsina River and on to the Klutina valley.

I cannot find a good map of this trail. It doesn't show on any topo map that I have and a BLM website has it penciled in on a topo map that is almost completely unreadable when printed.

Does anyone have any information on this trail? Topo or description of it as far as the Tonsina? I hope to hike this in about a month, but want to be sure the trail is actually there. I'm coming from Sterling, so it's a long drive to get to the creek.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Mike

Are you packrafting? I'm not aware of a trail up stuart creek itself. There is a trail up squaw that can be used to gain access to stuart. I've traveled this area a lot in the winter and can help if I knew your possible route. Where is the BLM map you found with a trail marked on it?

I'm scouting the area for Goat Hunting that starts in August. One of the other people on the forum suggested the area but he came in from Tonsina lake via aircraft. My mistake, it isn't a BLM map, but an AK DNR map at
    http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/planning/a...pdf/ch3_11.pdf

It's the only thing I could find to guide me up that valley. If there isn't a trail there, I'm out of luck. I'll have to scout some other area. Thanks for your help. You may save me a lot of time searching around for it. If it is even there................

M

Mike, I sent you a PM.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Holy smokes! It's safe to say that 90 percent of what they show as trails on that map are absolutely NOT trails! Most of it is ancient routes taken by the miners over a hundred years ago. Plus they mostly traveled when there was snow on the ground. The only summer travel was floating the lakes and the rivers that flow out of them.
    I'm guessing you're on a limited budget or you would be flying into one of the lakes in the area. Are you solo or do you have help? I have a better suggestion if you have help and a week or more to do it.

Alasken, thanks. I sent you a PM. You had responded to a previous question. I still have your phone number. Ok to call?

M

mod elan, I'm not planning on flying in unless I have to. Would rather hike in a few miles and back out later. I normally hunt alone and a week or so with only myself is too much for me to take. I run out of conversation after a couple of days..................

M

Yeah Mike, I got your PM. Thanks for reminding we have messaged before. Crap, getting old is a ....well, you know.
    Call me any time man. At least let me know when you want to head out that way prior to your hunt. If the timing is right, I'll probably join you.
    K
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Sterlingmike View Post
    mod elan, I'm not planning on flying in unless I have to. Would rather hike in a few miles and back out later. I normally hunt alone and a week or so with only myself is too much for me to take. I run out of conversation after a couple of days..................

M
    Wierd. For me the conversation gets more interesting the longer I'm out!! I'll pm you also.