Thread: nenana from Denali Highway to George Parks Highway

Default nenana from Denali Highway to George Parks Highway

Hi!
    Is it worth going down this part of the Nenana for a day trip? (We will have done the Chulitna from East Fork to Talkeetna a few days before)
    How many hours to reach the take out at Windy Station from the put in at mile 17 from Cantwell?
    Thanks for help!
    Marie

Was jetting up the river yesterday from Parks hwy-Nenana river 'intersection, close for me as I live off the Denali hwy.
    You can float it 6-8 hrs easy, water is up enough so no problem floating. Only fishing (grayling) is at the mouth of a couple fresh water streams. Scenery is fine, good possibility of seeing a bear or moose. We saw 2 moose yesterday.
    And since the commercial tourist jet boat has reduced his runs, its likely you won't see anyone if your floating on the week days.
    Nothing like the East fork float, and the water is not clear, murky glacier fed mostly.
    Have a good one.........

Just did this float but started up at the mouth of Brushkana and floated down. After Brushkana the Nenana is pretty much VERY slow and a stiff upwind breeze required constant paddling in order to get down stream. It picks up a little by the put in you are talking about, but IMO it won't be nearly as exciting boating or fishing wise as the East Fork Chulitna though. But what it lacks in fishing and excitement it makes up for in scenary over the East Fork. Great country to float through. Have had caribou swim the river 50 yards in front of me before on that section of river.

I did this several times backin the 80's great times! I have heard it isn't the same with the jet boat traffic. I should do it again!
    Tim

Thanks a lot everybody.
    I think we may float it if we don't have frontwind.
    We are a family of 5 with only one inflatable Grabner outside (for 3) so 2 of us will drive our rental motorhome while the 3 lucky will float.
    Any good day hike in the neighbourhood?
    Marie