Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: electric fence

Default electric fence

Anybody used an electric fence and had it work on bears? I'm wondering how powerful a unit you need and DC bat is much cheeper than solar/ battery. Would the straight DC work for a week-10days? I've been looking at the web site for tractor supply company and they have all kinds. Thanks in advance, Tom

Default Archives

Check the archives - this has been discussed lots.

It weems to me that most Alaska hunters either think bear fences are a waste of time of the best thing since sliced bread.

We own one that is powered by 4 - D size batteries. It seems to work just fine and gives us peace of mind when sleeping.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Check the archives - this has been discussed lots.

It weems to me that most Alaska hunters either think bear fences are a waste of time of the best thing since sliced bread.

We own one that is powered by 4 - D size batteries. It seems to work just fine and gives us peace of mind when sleeping.
    I have a zebera the yellow one that thaks D batteries a 6 volt or 12 volt battery. I haven't used it in the woods yet but it sure contains my horses nice and boy it sure puts a wak to our dogs when they touch it. I use 4' of 3/8 rod into the ground then a pvc over it with my fence connectors attached to the pvc
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

We have a portable horse fence with 2 d batteries. Will last at least 10 days on new batterys. Lasts several weeks in fact. The if you get the kit it comes with small light posts and a small ground rod. If you just buy the power unit you can piece the other parts together.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Default Peace of Mind...

Bought mine from Cabelas - 4 D-Cell batteries. Took it last year on a 5 week float hunt. Didn't use it the first 8 days, but then encountered a very unhappy bear. Put the fence around the tent and raft the rest of the trip. Slept a lot better. It wasn't until about a week later that we discovered we had the batteries installed incorrectly and it wasn't working. My point is that you shouldn't let the fence take the place of common sense went you are living in bear country. After we put the batteries in correctly - the thing worked great. 4 batteries lasted about 10 days. Solar charger not worth the price or hassel unless its a perminent install.

Mine also runs on the d cells or 6 or 12 volt. When I tested it the spark is much greater when I hooked it to a 12 volt lawn tractor battery. Lasts for weeks also. Gives me piece of mine when I hunt Kodiak. I've never had a bear test it though.

Don't know if the fence works but I can tell you that we use it close to base camp to keep or meat and food safe. Never lost any .

This is the model we are using.
    http://www.udap.com/bearshock.htm
    The bear fence comes in a small package but packs a big wallop. Setup is quick & easy - takes a couple of D-cell batteries and two people can set it up in less than 20 minutes. 2 batteries lasted us 8 days and the batteries were still good - run time on the batteries was in the neighborhood of 18/20 hours a day. Initial cost is around $400.00 for everything, as we purchased the electric fence tester, extra aluminum poles and lots of extra insulators and wire because we surround our tent & tarped A-frame used for cooking/eating. It will cost less if you stay with their basic package. If you’re on a poor surface for conductivity, such as rock or sand, all you need do is run a second wire, as a ground wire, pound in a ground stake and run a jumper from it to your ground wire which means the creature has to come into contact with both wires at the same time to receive the maximum shock. You can run as many wires in this fashion as you see fit. There are plenty of blackies in our area but we have never had a problem - every other camp within 15 miles of us have had destructive visits but none of them had a bear fence.

thank guys, I'll pick up one, just makes life easier not to worry about the plane and gear when your out of camp all day. I'll stay with the battery one also. Tom

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by RSC Hunter View Post
    Bought mine from Cabelas - 4 D-Cell batteries. Took it last year on a 5 week float hunt. Didn't use it the first 8 days, but then encountered a very unhappy bear. Put the fence around the tent and raft the rest of the trip. Slept a lot better. It wasn't until about a week later that we discovered we had the batteries installed incorrectly and it wasn't working. My point is that you shouldn't let the fence take the place of common sense went you are living in bear country. After we put the batteries in correctly - the thing worked great. 4 batteries lasted about 10 days. Solar charger not worth the price or hassel unless its a perminent install.

Good one!!

They don't seem too useful on a float hunt, a lot of set-up and take down.

Tim

How long are the posts in UDAP kit? I've decided to build my own kit and am not quite sure how long to cut my posts.

I have one, taken it but have yet to set it up. Maybe this year. A friend borrowed it and had no problems at his camp but I don't kow how many bears wee in the area or if he was even bothered. Anyway I have the batttery powered one I bought from Marc over at Wiggy's Alaska on Old Seward.

The UDAP kit works fine, but the charger makes so much noise it drives me crazy. We finally made up our own. We use a Yellow Jacket charger, a roll of wire from Alaska Mill and Feed, and retired carbon arrows for stakes. Each stake is two carbon arrows screwed together with all-thread through the inserts. We add a glue-in target point to the other end to put in the ground. I just use survey ribbon to tie the fence wire to the posts. This is not a light weight packable setup, but it's good for airplane, ATV or boat use.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

here's how I set up my posts, they work well for my horses out grazing. Now a question for guys in bear country I heard to set up a low wire to keep wondering cubs out and another to keep full sized bears out I set one up at about 8" from the bottom for the little guys what do you think?
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Looks good. You definately don't want a cub inside the wire and mama outside.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Perfect for Katmai

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Good one!!

They don't seem too useful on a float hunt, a lot of set-up and take down.

Tim
    They work perfect for floats in Katmi we saw over 100 Bears and had not had any problems at night!

The aluminum poles in the UDAP kit are 4 foot. Our charger was completely silent – never made any type of noise. AKDoug may have got a defective unit? We were & are very satisfied with the UDAP product. You can get an idea here - that's our entryway & charger.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JoeJ; 07-25-2010 at 08:02. Reason: added another picture

The UDAP charger does make a buzzing noise to let you know it's working. However, you can call UDAP and they will talk you through removing the speaker. The noise doesn't bother me, but silencing it sounds fairly easy from what I remember from talking with them.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    The aluminum poles in the UDAP kit are 4 foot. Our charger was completely silent – never made any type of noise. AKDoug may have got a defective unit? We were & are very satisfied with the UDAP product. You can get an idea here - that's our entryway & charger.
    You might want to check yours with a tester. I have a UDAP as well and have seen a few others in use, they all made a pulsating buzzing sound. I purchsed a lightweight cheap teater at the feed store to make sure it works, only had to try it once by hand to realize that it does indeed work.

Steve

Default bear fence

Here is a pic of one of my spring camps. I use 3 wires around the camp with a blinking red light current indicator. This one stopped a Bear from coming in one very stormy night. I was in the tent on the back right and woke up to a very loud grunt next to my tent. It never came back. We had the camp up several weeks and some of the time it was unoccupied.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast