Thread: Info for 2011 Moose Hunt

Default Info for 2011 Moose Hunt

I am looking for info/advice for a fly-in float or drop in moose hunt for 2011.

I have spoken with Steve Powers at Papa Bear Adventures in Bethel. He has several different types of hunts and hunts the tributaries of the Yukon River north of Bethel. Has anyone hunted with him? Does anyone know anything about his air taxi service or his hunts?

I have hunted brown bear with Butch King and have been caribou hunting many times in Canada. My buddy and I have never been on a float hunt but we have a lot of camping and hunting experience.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Larry Reeves

Hi Larry:

I am happy to share any information I have. I have not used this outfitter. If you plan to use an outfitter - there are a lot of reputable ones with info on this site. If you are a do-it-yourselfer, then I probably can give you some help. You can PM me on this site and we can email or talk. I'm not an old slt at this but I have quietly and successfully had six very fun, rewarding and adventurious do it yourself hunts in AK.

Best of luck!

Default Papa Bear

I have hunted several times with Papa Bear and they always do a good job. I have taken moose, caribou, bears, and a bonus wolverine on three different trips. On one trip the satellite phone we ordered didn't arrive on time so we left without it. When it arrived two days late, Steve Powers had his pilot deliver it free of charge. You can't beat that kind of service. I would be happy to discuss any of my trips with you. If you check the archives on this site you will find Papa Bear has a first class reputation with forum members.

That part of Alaska, unit 18 Yukon R. delta, currently has an excellent Moose population.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Thanks to all of your posts. I'll be in touch with you with more questions.

Thanks Again,

Larry