Thread: Can I Change the caliber with a new barrel

Default Can I Change the caliber with a new barrel

I have a ruger m77 tang safety. The barrel Is bent it is chambered in 300 win now I found a 30-06 barrel for 50$. Can I buy that and have it installed without changing any thing else on the gun? Will the bolt and every thing be fine? Please advice. Thanks

You can change barrels pretty easily at any gunsmith. To make the conversion you mention (300WM to 30-06) you'll also need to change out the bolt/ bolt face.

You can change cartridges without changing the boltface as long as you stay within the same case head dimensions. Your .300WM could easily become a .338, another .300WM, a 7mm RM or any other cartridge based on the magnum bolt face. You may have to change/alter the magazine box to feed the new cartridge too.

The simplest thing would be to rebarrel your damaged 300 with any number of aftermarket barrels at your local gunsmith. Don't know what it would cost but it shouldn't be overly expensive. Swapping bolts, mag boxes, bolts and so forth isn't hard but it can be tricky to get everything right and can cost about what a decent used rifle would run in the end.

Thanks! What about 300 rum?

Quote Originally Posted by krgentrup View Post
    Thanks! What about 300 rum?
    If money is a concern (and when isn't it?) you will need to select a magnum rim diameter cartridge (.532) that has an overall length of less than 3.35 inches. The RUM is 3.600 long so it will not fit in your Ruger M77 action. You could choose the 300 Dakota, which will increase your external ballistics in your action length, but unless you handload Dakota is probably not a cost effective solution. If you want to keep it in .30 caliber probably the best option is to rebarrel in 300 WM and call it good.

Ruger would rebarrel to the same caliber reasonably...

Quote Originally Posted by allen-ak View Post
    Ruger would rebarrel to the same caliber reasonably...
    That didn't occur to me at the time but you're likely right. They would rebarrel a damaged rifle probably cheaper than anyone else. I also bet they have a stash of the original barrels to sell as replacements to.

My one experience with Ruger customer service was very good. Fast and free.

hap

A friend and poster here had a bent barrel and Ruger replaced it for free... It did not show any damage and they accepted the fact it might have left the factory that way. The gun was long out of any implied or legal warranty period...

The 30-06 barrel could easily be rechamberd to 300WM ... I think I remember Ruger twisting both the 300WM and 30-06 at 1-10.
    art