Thread: Mustang Jackets

Default Mustang Jackets

Anyone use Mustang Jackets. Saw a video clip in the snow machine thread, 2 Guys ran thier snow machines into open water. One with a Mustang style Jacket and one without. The one without would not have made it. It was an eye opener to say the least. Was thinking of getting one for My jetboat and raft as well as the snow machine. Thoughts, moblitiy?????

Thanks Steve

I have one (Stears float coat, actually) and mobility is fine.

Personally I think float coats are the only way to go in AK, or water is so cold that most often lifejackets are only good to help find a body.

Default dry suit, or just jacket?

What kind of Mustang jacket did he have on? Several guys on rib.net like the Mustang gear. Try searching over there for info, if interested. I am seriously looking at going the distance and getting a breathable dry suit. The ribbers across the Atlantic are big on them.

Default Jacket style float coat

I thought of the dry suit as well. They guy in the video was wearing a float coat style. As always with Alaska it is hard to find something to use in different ways. The dry suit would be great while on the water, might be a lttle hard changing in and out of. The Mustang Jackets acts as a coat as well and is easy to remove. Was wondering about the freedom of motion. You know dragging a raft, paddling and all the jaz. Got drug into water over my head this moose season trying to stop the raft from running into a sweeper in a sharp bend. Chest waders filled with 30 something water and my buddy said mu eyes were as big as dinner plates. I like to learn from these NEAR DEATH Experiences.

Thanks Steve

Default Mustang suit

In SE a lot of people get the full suit instead of just the jacket. That's what I would recommend. They're more difficult to put on and take off, but in a survival situation, they'd be much better than just a jacket.

Default Mustang jackets

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Personally I think float coats are the only way to go in AK, or water is so cold that most often lifejackets are only good to help find a body.
    Float coats are very popular in Alaska and aside from being more comfortable to wear than the average conventional life jacket, they do indeed provide a margin of hypothermia protection and may also partially mitigate the effects of cold water immersion. I've had the opportunity to get in the water with many types of floatation devices including float coats, about every type of life jacket, immersion suits, survival suits and dry suits. One of the characteristics of float coats is that they will have a tendency to turn you face down; a Type I will turn you face up and a Type II will turn most people face up....try it; if you don't actively move to stay face up and just stay "limp" in the water, the float coat will most likely turn you face down in the water. Depending on your situation, that might not be a good thing! All that being said, any life jacket is better than not having one at all. A PFD will buy you time; time to get rescued or self-rescue and time is what you need when minutes count. A very small percentage of the recreational boating fatalities in Alaska were wearing life jackets....and those were in situations where life jackets could not have saved them, such as massive trauma from propeller strikes and collisions or trapped underwater. Very much like a buckling the seatbelt in a car, wearing a life jacket is one of those things you hope you'll never need....and like a seatbelt, you usually don't have time to put one on when something happens. Increase your odds of survival; wear a PFD.

Thumbs up Saved my life

I was taking friends fishing and the starter went out on my river boat. I borrowed a friends since we had already invested in the flight to get there. On the return trip my hat blew off. I circled around and as I leaned over to get it the bolts that held the seat ripped out of his rotten floor boards. Next thing I knew I was dragging along the gravel 12' under cold water. Of course my hip boots had filled up and the current prevented me from getting my feet under me.
    When I ripped the pocket off to inflate the coat I had visions of the Michelin man rocketing to the surface. It was more like a slow hiss that slowly raised me to the surface. But it did get me to the top and I swam to the next island. For an event that took all of 3 minutes, I could barely drag my dead ass out of the water. Without the coat I wouldn't be writing this. Wanting a faster response I now have a coat with a bigger CO2 cartridge. (The 2 women left in the boat alone is a story in itself!)
    For running off shore in the skiff I wear a full Mustang exposure suit. I always have the Mustang in the Sea Sport in case of emergencies. If it is cold fishing I throw it on for the warmth. No problems getting in or out of it.
    Also, it is now SOP to have a full run thru on operating the boat "in case" I fall over board.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default good info

Hell of a tale! Glad you made it out and shared your story. I swam w/ a canoe for several minutes in the Gulkana (we got swamped by big waves), wearing a wet suit and life jacket. In those several minutes my feet were so numb I could not tell I was hitting bottom when I reached shore. No wet suit and no life jacket, and I don't think I could have lasted two minutes.

Default Survival suit in kids' size

Good morning to you all.

I am looking into purchasing survival suits for my family and me. I have been looking into Mustang & Stearns survival suits but they seem to be all geared toward adults size and none for children. Do you know of any alternative for kids' survival suits? Obviously PFD will be mandatory but would like to have the suits aboard for "just in case".

Regards,

yhc

Stearns does make a child size cold water immersion suit, this is the "gumby" type neoprene suit, not something to be worn on deck.

A friend gave me a child's size float coat that his son grew out of, but I don't recall the brand and haven't been able to find someone that sells them. He forgot where he got it from. I'll let you know if I find one. The Gear Shed in Homer would be a good place to call.

Default Thank you

Thanks Paul for the info.

Regards,

yhc

Had to do alot of surfing the net to find it, but here it is:

http://www.landfallnavigation.com/kidsinflatable.html

Default Stormy seas vests

Nice piece to wear any time you go on the water. You can manualy blow air in for a partial inflation that also gives one insulation to boot. Try jumping in with your boots and raingear on and seeing if you can swim 10' feet with out any flotation.

I read further down and it says the item is discontinued. I don't know of anyone else that makes a kid sized float coat. Also the SS kids coat isn't USCG approved.

It's a pity there doesn't seem to be anything else out there. Since childrens body cores are so much smaller than adults, they chill very quickly, and really need a float coat for even a short immersion.

Hopefully I can find another one, my daughter is large enough for a small or xs adult float coat, but the boys need a child size unit.