Thread: kASILOF PROTECTION/ A MUST READ

Default kASILOF PROTECTION/ A MUST READ

Please bear with me as I am about at the end of my rope. Looks like the temporary fencing will not be approved for this year and next year, there is no protection involved for the North side of the Kasilof.
    Having been down there shows me that there is a lot of work to do to educate the public on habitat protection. People driving all over the dunes with 45 foot homemade campers, made from drilling rig houses to 4 wheelers doing wheelies, to cab overs planted like they are there for the duration.
    People overflowing Garbage dumpsters with room to spare in their pick-ups, and just no thought for their surroundings.
    That said, I am asking everyone that knows people that dip that river or dip it themselves, to pass on the idea to respect the habitat.
    Education is the key and I have the Kenai watershed forum working up a Public Service Announcement, to be played on Soldotna/Kenai/anchorage radio stations, and, the director of sportsfish has agreed to put out a press release asking people to respect the dunes. Hopefully this will help but what it comes down to is personal responsibility.
    All I can say is people... act like you really do respect the great outdoors.
    I'm pulling my hair out by government regulation, outdoor slobs and people that are such greedy souls, they really don't care who or what they hurt for thier own benefit.
    OK, I'm off of my soapbox but come on people, get a clue and pass it on.
    Enough rant. Carry on and a big thank you for those that do. Ken F.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

This is exactly what I've been complaining about for the last few years. They don't have a clue and they don't have an ounce of respect for the environment or the resource. I'm afraid that radio PSA's aren't going to touch this one without a fence. The "problem" is "visiting" from outside the area to get their "fair share" and don't give a rat's behind about what they trample to get it.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default looks like more work this winter

Trying to get funding for the North side fencing. It is a long road to hoe but I guess, in the end, it will be worth it.
    As an afterthought, those of you that are going or at the Kasilof right now can say a big thanks to Nerka and yea, I hate to say it, me too, for getting those port-a-potties there this year. If it was not for this forum, and the thoughts it produced, those things would not have been funded this year. I for one used one and I could only pat myself on the back for helping getting it there.
    I was happy it was there too!! Let me tell you.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Update on the Kasilof fencing. Brent Johnson with the Kasilof historical society has picked up the fencing material and he plans on starting to install it on the south side of the Kasilof on Wednesday, May 25th. Looking for volunteers that would like to help out and lend us a hand. He will be renting a post hole digger so anyone that wants to help, PM me for more details. Thanks in advance

BTT..............