Thread: Who wouldI talk to about how far certain things need to be from property lines?

Default Who wouldI talk to about how far certain things need to be from property lines?

I am wondering who I would talk to or where I would go to talk to someone about a few things in the town of Sterling as far as setbacks go??
    Here are my questions, maybe someone here knows the awnsers..
    1.) How far does the driveway need to be from the "side" property lines?
    2.) how far does the house need to be from the property line(back and sides, not front.)
    3.) how far does the septic, leech field and well need to be from property lines.

The property is .26 acres, perfect rectangle, so about 150x75 so you can see why I am wondering!! I want a half oval driveway, so two entrances.

(property has short side against road.)

KPB and DOT and also check the plat for any plat restriction, there could be deed restrictions also, but not likely.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

if you can see you neighbor and they can see you... someone needs to move
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

DEC for septic
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    DEC for septic

If it is a 1/4 acre it came with public water and public sewer.

I guess you haven't seen every parcel in Alaska.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    if you can see you neighbor and they can see you... someone needs to move
    Yup, heard that I did! I'm amazed how many people move to the biggest state and live in a condo or duplex.

You must have 100’ between a wells and septic systems (including those not on your lot) but I don’t think there is a setback off the lot lines. You would be hard presses to fit a well and leach field on that with the 100’ between them even if the neighbor doesn’t have them in place yet. Contact Alaska DEC as mit said for septic info. Driveways and fences shouldn’t have setbacks unless they are in the covenants, you will need a driveway permit form State/town/Borough (whoever owns the road) and they can give you the rules. House and outbuilding setbacks will be town or borough code so contact them.

Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Okay, so I was also thinking about how I would place 100 feet between a septic tank and a well, so I came to the conclusion. Would I be able to place the well in the front of my lot and the septic in the back of the lot. THEN have the leech field take a right turn? as in a "L" shape? with the leech field running the other direction? my question isnt IS IT LEGAL, it is CAN IT RELIABLY BE DONE?? i am hard pressed finding a lot in sterling for under 10 grand that is over a quarter acre.

Default Setbacks

1. Driveway can be right at the edge of your side property lines.

2. The house can be right at the edge of your lot lines but make sure the roof line doe not go over the line. There is usually a 20 ft. building setback from the Right of way.

3. There is no set back for your septic or leach field but keep it out of the 20 ft. building setback too.

4. Most important item. Have your lot surveyed by a professional land surveyor with the lines marked.

5. Like others have said, just make sure your well is 100 feet from your septic and any neighbors septic.

Default Set backs

The Kenai Peninsula Borough planning dept. can answer all your questions.
    Ask for the planning director

Do you know where that building is? i tried driving around and couldnt find anything..

Quote Originally Posted by Soxin2008 View Post
    Okay, so I was also thinking about how I would place 100 feet between a septic tank and a well, so I came to the conclusion. Would I be able to place the well in the front of my lot and the septic in the back of the lot. THEN have the leech field take a right turn? as in a "L" shape? with the leech field running the other direction? my question isnt IS IT LEGAL, it is CAN IT RELIABLY BE DONE?? i am hard pressed finding a lot in sterling for under 10 grand that is over a quarter acre.

It's all about sight conditions; pitch of lot, soil type, other wells close to the back of the lot, other septic close to the front . . . no one here can give you an answer for such a small tight lot size as it is a case by case basis. There are a lot of things to mess it up on a small lot like that so you can’t just guess at it. Can a system be made to work? Yes, but what kind of system and at what price is the sticky point. Here is the place to start finding out what it will take. http://www.dec.state.ak.us/water/wwdp/onsite/

If it were me before I bought a lot like that I would get bids for all the stuff you want and see what it will take to do it. The local contractors will educate you as to what goes into it when they bid the jobs and most will bid jobs for free trying to get the work. Then you will kind of know what you are looking at and if they came in high you have a bargaining chip when you offer on the lot assuming you still want it. It’s all leg work you are going to need to do at some point anyway and it’s better to find as many of the problems with the lot as you can before you own it.

After all the stuff I have blindly jumped into over the years I came up with my own saying I recite before I buy anything . . . measure thrice to pay once! Best of luck to you on it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

so basically everything would be alot friggin easier if i bought a .5+ acre lot instead of a .26 one??? seems like that is the general thought hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Soxin2008 View Post

Note: YOUR "SEPTIC" needs to be 100' from any existing "WELL", and YOUR Well needs to be 100' from any Existing "Septic". I hope there are NO improvements on adjacent lots. (ALL Wells and SEPTICS yours and neighbors must be EACH 100' apart) However your septic can be next to there septic & and your well can be next to their well.

Default Borough Bldg

Its on Binkley St. about 1 block south of the post office.

Most of those lots in Sterling/Naptown were split up and sold off as Recreational Lots. Never intended to be built on. Most of the back roads are not up to Borough Specs and you will mire up and sink to the frame in spring if you try driving in to a lot of them. I have looked at several of them and family/friends that own them, bought Two adjacent lots, so they could build summer cabins. I could never figure a good way to fit a house, driveway, well and septic on a single one of them. About the only thing they have going for them, is the easy access to the Public Fishing Holes at the end of each ingoing road. Not too many people know about them, but they are only Red Fishing Holes, so most go to Bings or Kenai Keys.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~