Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose calls

Default Moose calls

What source/brand of moose calls have given you the best results? Both bull and cow calls. Techniques? Id like to give it a try this year.

I've called in several bulls simply with my hands and a scapula to scrape with. I've also had luck with the "bull magnet" fiberglass moose call. I grunt with my voice and with the bull magnet and both work.

I once called a cow moose in December accidently with a dieing rabbit predator call. She snuck up behind me and was within 10 yards when I sensed her.

Moose are weird unpredictable creatures and I find that bulls in pre-rut respond to scraping better than cow calls.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Scraping

Okay. Like scraping with branches, paddles, ect.? And calling, or not necessary? Maybe try different techniques and combinations? Should I expect to hear a bull respond by calling back and grunting or would he just show up?

I've probably called in a dozen moose within bow range. Unfortunately, only one of them was a legal bull. On that legal bull I initially started with a long series of cow calls. I set down my call and was just getting ready to sit down when I heard a grunt. One short scrape on a dead spruce next to me with my fiberglass call completely exploded him. He came jogging in.. grunting and thrashing the whole way. He was a good 64" bull.

All the other moose pretty much just appeared without much fanfare. Since they were smaller moose I think they were being cautious and not very defensive of their territory. A series of cow calls, spaced about 30 minutes apart with some scraping tossed in brought them in.

The only video I have watched is Love, Thunder and Bulls and their techniques seem to work.

I have scraped with a canoe paddle, a scapula, and the fiberglass call. All seem to get a good reaction.

I will say this, if you don't hit them at the right time all the calling in the world won't make anything happen. I watched a 40" bull at a mile away on a dead calm day not even look my direction for hours while I cow called. I didn't go after him because he was too small, but in this case Sept 1st was way to early to get him interested. I've had my best luck Sept 14th until the end of Sept. I'd love to hunt them in full rut in October because I'm sure the action would even be hotter.

Default scraping has worked for me

It is fairly easy to imitate a bull or a cow call with just your mouth. The Bull Magnet is a great tool to "amplify" to mouth sounds just like a megaphone would. Also, the BM makes a great "raking" tool, sounds hollow just like a moose antler does when raking a tree. Sometimes I just scrape trees without calling, sometimes a do Bull grunts and rake, sometimes I just make Bull grunts....it kind of depends on the timing of the rut. The long cow calls have worked for me in the past, but in my experiences the Bull grunt has been more productive. I did have one Bull grunt for a whole mile as he walked towards me. He was very HOT and all I did was make a couple of Bull grunts and took a dead limb and rake it against a tree. The Bull came out "displaying" his antlers in a very intimidating manner. If you are still a little unsure of calling techniques, watch Wayne Kubat's "Love, Thunder, and Bull", I think you can even buy a copy on the homepage of this site.

Wink If ya call a moose...

besure to use yer anytime minutes on the cell, & the area code for Alaska moose is 907...if yer on the Candian boarder, international rates will apply...

Default moose

I have called moose from Sept 11 until Oct 31. I use only my hands for amplification. The type of call you use and when you use it is very important. Most years I will call in 5 or 6 bulls on each hunt before we find the one we want. I will do 4 hunts a year. The vast majority of the time I am cow calling. The thing to remember (and something most guys miss) is that if a bull has cows already he probably wont answer, and you will never know hes there. If Im in an area I think has a bull I will stay quiet until I find sign, then figure out where he could be, get the wind right then move in bull calling and breaking sticks as I go. If hes there he will answer (but it might take awhile) he will think your a bull and come to fight most times. If you just stand on the riverbank and bull call hoping to find one you probably wont you have to pressure him a little. If you are cow calling and a lone bull hears you he will come, beware tho he will probably try to get downwind of you. Hope this helps, calling moose is a lot of fun. Our season runs Aug.1 to Oct 31 so we get to hunt the complete rut. First week of Oct. is when the vast majority of big bulls are killed as they are on the hunt for cows. Calling bulls to under 10 yards is very common where I hunt.

I also just use hand and mouth to call and a scapula to rake with. What I do throw into the mix that has really worked well is a cow moose Montana decoy, it gives them something to see and to also take their attention off of you. I never really thought about it before but last season while I was calling for moose Mr. Grizwald showed up looking for a free meal, so watch your back while you're calling. Yes, he now stares at us from a wall in our den....

Yep, and wolves too. I know of at least one guy that had a wolf come in looking after a series of cow calls.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default Scrape early on...

Yea to what AKdoug says- scraping alone works better early season imo, then kick it up with more cow calls/grunting as you get deeper into september. I've used everything as a scraper- from a cut-out 1.75 plastic whiskey bottle (don't know what happened to all that whiskey) to a cut-out quart of oil on a stick- bull magnet works great too. I once brought a forked horn in on the 22nd of August simply by lightly scraping some spruce- it was a hot afternoon and I was just getting ready to hit the woods- scraped a small spruce and bam- there he was, he must've been chillin nearby (he later chilled in my freezer). Anyway, watch videos and all that stuff- or go out when they are crazy in the rut (post-season) and just watch and listen. Not as cool as an elk bugle, but a cow moose in estress-sp? makes a serious racket until a fella comes over to help her out...

Default Good stuff

Thanks for all the input. I too have called in unexpected visitors while trying to call in game. Makes me nervous to see what will show up. If Im not seeing anything after glassing around and nothing bites on the scraping and calling, how soon should I move and how far?

Default Check out this old thread

Quote Originally Posted by fishnhunt View Post
    What source/brand of moose calls have given you the best results? Both bull and cow calls. Techniques? Id like to give it a try this year.
    I use the Bull Magnet if I'm really trying to reach out a long way. Mostly I just use my hands for amplification. For scraping I use an old shed antler or a scapula. IMO the BM does not sound natural for scraping.

I average 6-10 bulls called in a season. The earliest I have called in and shot a bull was on the 6th of Sept. Agree with the above posters that after the 12th it gets better. I usually play with any store bought call that I see come out...I have been in a lot of moose talking sessions and IMO none of these store bought calls sound even close to anything I've ever heard in the woods. Your voice calls after much practice will be the most realistic.

I dug up an old thread that I posted in about calling moose. Take a look at it and it may answer more of your questions.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ead.php?t=3032

I am a hand and mouth guy when I do call. If I decide to set up I may cut a birch bark cone to use for some added amplification. I enjoy "playing moose" in my area, just working my way along using low bull grunts. I came face to face at 10' w/ a small spiker doing that in thick alders we were both caught off guard and all he needed was one glance at my ugly face to make tracks for some distant mountain range never to be seen again.

Default If you're new to calling...

...would highly recommend you purchase Love, Thunder and Bull from the AOD store.

Thumbs down

When I was looking over old forums for info on moose calling I came across a few posts recommending "Love, Thunder & Bull". I spent the $26 on it from the AOD store and was extremely disappointed. Maybe the second one is better but IMO the first one was a waste of money. Besides the fact it was a WHOPPING 28 minutes long, it was videotaped with technology from 1982 and the only instruction on moose calling was the 2 minutes he demonstrated at the end. I came across a article written by Wayne later on and got much more out of that than the video.

Several years back a copy of the moose calling contest at an Alaska Moose Federation banquet was available. It had the results of the calling contest that demonstrated several different calls and also a presentation given by a Canadian wildlife biologist detailing the habits of moose in general and how/why/when to call. I've seemed to have lost mine at this point but someone may have a copy that they'd be willing to reproduce. I purchased "Love, Thunder & Bull II" and found it to have some good information. I'm pretty much a hands caller with good success over the years. I also agree that second half of September is when calling is really effective and combining calling with scrapping with an old scapula is helpful.

Have used bull magnet to rake brush and small trees and soft bull grunts with good results. 58" 55" 52' 56-1/2", 47-5/8" and one over 60" all within 40 yards had two within 10 feet. Call is most effective after 10th of September. the 13th has been my lucky day.

pretty much a repeat of what everyone else is saying;

i almost always start off raking (got a 54" bull last year with a plastic boat paddle; he came in on two different days, but much closer the second time). if i get results then i just do whatever the bull is doing, if he grunts i grunt, if he sticks to raking i rake, if he moves off then i'll crowd him a little to get him riled up (although that got me charged by a 52" bull one year). pretty much the only time i cow call is to stop a bull within eyesight (but thats probably because i can't cow call very well). lost two bull magnets (loved them) so i don't bother using them anymore... just use the free hands i've been outfitted with.
    b
    and all but one of our bulls, the smallest bull from last year, has been due to one of the above calling techniques (7 in 5yrs).

Good point to watch behind you, there was a Biologist killed here by a grizzly a few years ago. It looked like he had been calling in the willows and bear got him from behind.
    stay in one spot as long as you can, many times I have killed a moose where I had been calling the night before. The smaller ones will sometimes come in quiet too, so keep an eye out.
    There is a young outfitter from BC named Dan Brooks, he gives moose calling seminars if you get a chance to go to one do it, he is as good as anyone. Only thing I disagreed with him on was calling the real big bulls away from cows... he dont think you can do it and I do every year. Have fun

FWIW--I agree with the gist of this thread. Grunts and cow calling work best later in the season. Scraping (I have a scapula, but I have used an oar with very good effect) may excite a bull as soon as the velvet starts coming off. There are several instructional videos that are worth your time with http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...products_id=31 being among the best IMO. Learn their method and stick with it. Sometimes the bulls come running, sometimes it will take a long time for a response. Calling demands patience IME. Sit tight and let the calling do the work for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast