Thread: Fishing instead of dipnetting at Kenai

Default Fishing instead of dipnetting at Kenai

This might sound like a stupid question, but I'll risk it anyway:

Besides dipnetting, I plan to fish the beach on the south side of the Kenai, away from the dipnet area, closer to the access point where you pay your fees. I plan to try fishing with bait, probably when the tide is high. Does this sound reasonable?

My thought is that many of the fish are moving along the beach on their way to the river, and since they're still in salt water they might hit a herring or roe sack. So, besides whatever I get dipnetting I might be able to catch some reds on a rod.

Has anyone tried this? Is it a waste of time and effort? (I suppose I should ask if it's legal, also, because I can't find anything in the regs that would forbid it.)

Thanks for any opinions or guidance.

The Valley

I don't know about the legality of it, I would assume it's perfectly legal, I will share my 2 cents on what I saw at the kasilof 3 weeks ago. I was down there dipping and 3 guys in their mid 20's or so started casting spinners right between us dipnetters. They fished for 30 min without catching anything and then all of a sudden one of the guys gets one...but it wasn't a fish, he had hooked a seagull midair and the bird flopped down to the water.

The bird was hooked with what looked like a size 6 pixie and instead of trying to get the bird to shore and unhook it (I dunno if that would have worked either, plus the harm that could have come to the guy from trying to hold the bird still) the guy cut the line and the bird flailed around in the water for a couple minutes desperately trying to take off, but with it's balance affected so much it couldn't fly. It would jump off the water, and flounder around in the air and splash down 20 feet further out to sea. I'm sure the 50 feet of #20 lest line and an ounce of metal on one wing didn't help the bird's aerodynamics. I finally lost sight of the bird about 500 yards off shore so I dunno what happened, but just be careful is all I would say.

Dipnetting attracts hundreds of seagulls all across the area and they become a nuisance when it comes time to clean your fish. They are a nuisance but they are still a federally protected bird, who knows what would have happened if a brown shirt had seen the gull get inadvertently wounded. I'm not one to say, but common sense should have told these three guys that chucking 7/8 oz. spinners into a flock of 300 birds while standing between dipnetters probably wasn't a wise decision. If you are clear of the dipnetters and seagulls I would assume there isn't going to be any issue at all. Good luck

Skwentna, AK

Reds rarely hit anything as they are flossed. If you are dipnetting its for meat and fishings for some meat but for fun might catch a king or maybe a silver. I dont know about if its legal or not but hey. Have fun haha
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union

Central Kenai Peninsula

reds don't eat eggs or herring at anytime. My understanding is they eat plankton and similiar stuff while out at sea. Not sure how to put plankton on a hook?Plankton fly? Might catch a king or a silver or pink though.
    You might also try going upriver to another area and floss them as everyone else is doing.
    BTW you are allowed a sportfish daily limit in addition to your dipnet limit.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"