Thread: Betles Air

Default Betles Air

Anyone have any experience with Bettles Air for a hunting trip?
    Bruce

Good outfit ,I've used them for years..

I have seen other positive reports on them on this site also. I would recommend doing your bou hunt out of Bettles. The community is more hunter friendly than Kotz, and there are not as many folks using that hub.
    The Kobuk and Noatak are going to get alot of biz this year, and possibly even more next year. I'd see if you can get into GMU 26 on the North slope, from Bettles, and hunt early sept. or even late aug. Might keep you away from some of the crowds.

Default Kobuk and Noatak

What makes you think the Kobuk and Noatak are going to busy the next few years? Have the regs changed or more outfitter traffic? Just curious for future reference.

More bou hunters are going to unit 23 every year, since Mulchatna herd has been decreasing.
    The Western arctic herd has been migrating later, which puts the best hunting during sept on the Noatak and Kobuk. Might be decent hunting NW of kotz also

Default How to get there

Well, if I decide to go to Bettles, how do I get there from Milwaukee?
    Thanks
    Bruce

Default bettles

hello, you can fly to fairbanks and hop on one of the airlines here, warbelows air ventures, www.warbelows.com or i think wrights aviation, Not sure what you can get in bettles but that would be one way to get there.

still think kotz is a great place to go, sorry you got run down with bad info. the area around kotzebue is amazing. not sure about bettles tho.

I believe Northwest is running a flight direct Minneapolis-Fairbanks. From Fairbanks to Bettles I highly recommend Wrights: http://www.wrightair.net/

Another great outfit flying out of Bettles is Brooks Range Aviation:
    http://www.brooksrange.com/ If you have a lot of gear, their 1000hp Otter is the way to go!.....Louis

Question Hunting from Kotz

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper
    The community is more hunter friendly than Kotz, and there are not as many folks using that hub.
    Any particular reason for this statement? Have you had a bad experience travelling through Kotz? I have talked to several hunters that had great trips going that route and was considering one for me and my wife. Is there any specific reason that would be a bad idea?

Thanks
    Conley

Oh oh...........hope I didn't start something. Kotz is fine, just suffering from overexposure to hunters maybe. Plenty of opportunity to have a good trip out of kotz. Less people access GMU 23 thru Bettles and the people in Bettles are more tourist/hunter oriented.
    There's no specific reason hunting out of Kotz would be a bad idea. But there are opportunities for hunting unit 23 out of Bettles, maybe even unit 26. I just recommend looking at those oportunities along with what you can do from Kotz.