Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want a boat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default I want a boat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just venting.

I grew up with boats, always had access to or use of one. Then my dad retired to WA and took the boat with him.

I just looked at the weather cam in Whittier and it's clear and Passage Canal is glass, and I have the day and weekend off.

SIGH

Go to your friendly neighbourhood lending facility and borrow some money and buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Go to your friendly neighbourhood lending facility and borrow some money and buy one.
    I'm too picky and poor to afford what I want and wouldn't be satisfied otherwise, so there's no point yet...I'd just want a different boat....lol.

Coho Slayer,
    Concerning your comments "...wouldn't be satisfied otherwise, so there's no point yet...I'd just want a different boat....lol."
    Hey man, i agree that you just need to get a suitable substitute boat. And then remember the old Steven Stills song from 1973(??)...Love The One Your With.

a beater boat is better than no boat... Save up for what you want while fishing what ya got

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    a beater boat is better than no boat... Save up for what you want while fishing what ya got
    You are on these boards too? Wow!

It's Ged.

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Default Been there...heck still there.

Started out with a 12ft jon boat with 6hp motor many years ago, saved a little more, got a bigger boat...saved a little more got an even bigger boat...etc. My current boat is a Trophy 2359, which I really like, but that's not to say I wouldn't like a bigger one.

My point is, you don't have to look too hard to find something you can afford, and have fun with, and just because you have a boat, doesn't mean you stop looking for your next one.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    My point is, you don't have to look too hard to find something you can afford, and have fun with, and just because you have a boat, doesn't mean you stop looking for your next one.
    Hmmm, so boats are like wives then?

I spent 4 years in FL pointing and laughing at the ratty boats I saw out in the bay fishing every day around tampa. At the end of 4 years I left and barely ever fished since I didn't have a boat. As I drove along the bay on my way out of town leaving Tampa for the final time I looked at those guys fishing and realized they had it figured out and I was the fool. I still wish I had bought something cheap and fished my butt off while I had the chance.

I didn't make that mistake again when I got back to AK, sure I still want a new Alaska XL like tjm just had built, but until that day comes my '93 17.5' wooldridge AK with the '01 90hp merc hanging off the back will get me out on the river just fine!

I agree with what has been posted. Heck, a 15 foot inflatable can get you to the fishing grounds safely as well as efficiently. No matter what you get, you will always want something different, bigger, faster...I know I do. Just think of all the money you are saving by not having a boat, though. That being said: "What the heck am I doing in town!?"
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I'd be ashamed to get on a web site as widely read as this one and admit to a bunch of senseless whining

Let's see, dad left AND TOOK THE BOAT WITH HIM. He probably worked hard for HIS boat. Duh, did you expect him to retire and GIVE YOU THE BOAT?
    I want a $284,000.00 shotgun I saw in a recent magazine too but the old addage, "wish in one hand, sh*t in the other and see which one gets full first" applies!-----Unless I apply muself by working extra weeks or possibly get an other job. Then, in time anything is possible.

The middle of the summer fishng season is a great time to do something about your plight and if you busy your self in a constructive way, your turn will come.

This is Alaska dude, you've got more opportunity here than in any 10 lower 48 states combined. Get to work.

Mike, retireing my self pretty soon!

Wow. Got your panties in a wad, huh?

First of all, I wasn't whining that my dad took the boat. I can see it might come across like that, but I was mostly just missing being able to be on the water. I have never expected my dad to do anything for me, least of all leave me his 32 foot dream-boat.

I miss boats, boating, the ocean, the air, the scenery, the wildlife, the fun, the freedom.

Sorry that ruffled your feathers.

For what it's worth, I'm not some spoiled kid. I'm a 40-year old family man who works fairly hard for what I've got, so back off with the "get to work" crap. I "busy myself in a constructive way" daily, sometimes 7-days a week, so I can take a couple days off here and there for fun. Yes, it'd be nice to have a boat, and yes I could get a used or cheaper one. There is a lot of truth to what someone else said, though. Boats are expensive; not just to buy, but to own and upkeep, so I'm saving money.

There are still times I really WANT a boat, though, and I'm not going to apologize for that. Someday, hopefully soon, I'll get myself a boat to take the family out in. Most of these guys took it with good humor. I recommend you do the same and not pre-judge based on one post.

Get your Capt. License and then you can run all kinds of different boats
    and get paid

Default Started out paying big money for an Orvis 7 wt fly rod

Dude ... keep the dream but

Some great stream fishing up here, to include 50 lb kings in the Gulkana right about now .... and the Ninilichk can deliver some nice fish also, dont forget the run of dolly varden into the Anchor river in mid July. Take care of the family work hard, be honest and you will get your shot ... now running a 26 Osprey long cabin that can fish anywhere in the salt.

Remember ... no more than 10% net worth on toys, take the kid to baseball practice, soccer hockey or football, those were good times as well.

Vietnam vet ... still kinda young though

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Wow. Got your panties in a wad, huh?

First of all, I wasn't whining that my dad took the boat. I can see it might come across like that, but I was mostly just missing being able to be on the water. I have never expected my dad to do anything for me, least of all leave me his 32 foot dream-boat.

I miss boats, boating, the ocean, the air, the scenery, the wildlife, the fun, the freedom.

Sorry that ruffled your feathers.

For what it's worth, I'm not some spoiled kid. I'm a 40-year old family man who works fairly hard for what I've got, so back off with the "get to work" crap. I "busy myself in a constructive way" daily, sometimes 7-days a week, so I can take a couple days off here and there for fun. Yes, it'd be nice to have a boat, and yes I could get a used or cheaper one. There is a lot of truth to what someone else said, though. Boats are expensive; not just to buy, but to own and upkeep, so I'm saving money.

There are still times I really WANT a boat, though, and I'm not going to apologize for that. Someday, hopefully soon, I'll get myself a boat to take the family out in. Most of these guys took it with good humor. I recommend you do the same and not pre-judge based on one post.
    i am in the same.... ah.... BOAT.

have owned and sold three now, grew up on dads, commercial fished salmon and halibut, been in the navy ... and was done with boats

until last may

DANIEL IN AK..... (its his fault) took me on his boat down the Yukon river... SBIIC loaned me a zodiac with a motor and then took us to valdez... ( well i took them as i drove but towed his boat)

so i have decided to start looking again.. it is hard not running out and buying some lil boat to get me by as one will make ME JUST HUNKY DORRY HAPPY... however the family would be less so... needs a cover, high gunnel's, bow ports to take a wave, out board not inboard..( unless i pick up an old but good bow picker off a commercial guy....) my ideal boat to own again for salt is a 42 foot seiner... converted to family fisher cruiser dinner boat...

but.... i am back to wanting a boat.... but this winter will bring better deals then this summer
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    i am in the same.... ah.... BOAT.

have owned and sold three now, grew up on dads, commercial fished salmon and halibut, been in the navy ... and was done with boats

until last may

DANIEL IN AK..... (its his fault) took me on his boat down the Yukon river... SBIIC loaned me a zodiac with a motor and then took us to valdez... ( well i took them as i drove but towed his boat)

so i have decided to start looking again.. it is hard not running out and buying some lil boat to get me by as one will make ME JUST HUNKY DORRY HAPPY... however the family would be less so... needs a cover, high gunnel's, bow ports to take a wave, out board not inboard..( unless i pick up an old but good bow picker off a commercial guy....) my ideal boat to own again for salt is a 42 foot seiner... converted to family fisher cruiser dinner boat...

but.... i am back to wanting a boat.... but this winter will bring better deals then this summer
    Yes...exactly. Thank you for understanding...lol.

It's not a what will get me by, like you said, it wouldn't take much to get me to the fish. But add the wife and kids, must-have head, etc. and it turns into a lot more boat. If I'm going to go that big then I'm going to start getting a little picky about it.

I spend most of my fishing time on the rivers or salt from shore, and do pretty well, have lots of fun, and safely get the family out there doing something.

That does not change the fact that I occasionally really, really miss having a boat.

Speaking of shorts in a wad, back up and read your last post!

I stand firm in my opinion. Alaska IS the land of opportunity, if you truly are "picky" you can find something here to fix the "poor" part. Better jobs ARE out there for someone truly looking. The goal should always be to "do less work for more money, not the reverese!"

Ocnfish, tell me about the Viet Nam part? I spent a year at DiAn and Phu Loi in Assult Heli companies in 1970.

Mike

I'd not want to grow and regret living in Alaska and not having a boat.

Score yourself a 16' Lund with a 25hp 4 stroke. In my area, the guys who have boats that size catch just as many fish and kill just as many deer as the guys with the big boats with heaters and toilets. You just need to be a little smarter on what days you leave the dock and learn the areas close to town that have fish.

About a month ago I was out in my 19' skiff fishing a hot bite. The rest of the boats were 24'-30' charter boats. Some guys pull up in a 14' skiff with an old 25hp motor. Him and his buddy worked just as many kings as the rest of us. And to be honest with you, it looked like they were having way more fun. I bet they had less money into that skiff than the clients had paid to charter one of those charter boats for the day!

Quote Originally Posted by Alasgun View Post
    Speaking of shorts in a wad, back up and read your last post!

I stand firm in my opinion. Alaska IS the land of opportunity, if you truly are "picky" you can find something here to fix the "poor" part. Better jobs ARE out there for someone truly looking. The goal should always be to "do less work for more money, not the reverese!"

Ocnfish, tell me about the Viet Nam part? I spent a year at DiAn and Phu Loi in Assult Heli companies in 1970.

Mike
    I was annoyed, because you assumed a lot of things about me that weren't true. And you still are. There are "better" jobs, if the only qualification for better is higher paying. I work plenty, and plenty hard, and don't make near enough to afford the dream boat. I'd like to hear how you suggest anyone can make enough to get a $100k+ boat while also supporting a family without a super specialized degree or skill. Construction pays well, but not that much. BTW, when I say "afford" I mean buy out-right, not finance, which I won't do. That's why I said I'm saving in a previous post. It'll take a while, but once I do buy, it's mine-all-mine. I will most likely pick up a used 20'-ish boat within the next year or two that will get the job done. Boating is an addiction, though, and I'll always want bigger, better, faster, more modern, etc.

I'll agree to disagree with you on this, because I'm not going to go into all of my personal details and finances with you, but suffice it to say I have a Bachelor's Degree and than some in schooling, a decent job for now, and even more training coming in August so I can make more money and get a "better" job.

None of that is just so I can get a boat, either. It's to simply better my family's quality of life and open more opportunities all-around for my kids.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post

Score yourself a 16' Lund with a 25hp 4 stroke. In my area, the guys who have boats that size catch just as many fish and kill just as many deer as the guys with the big boats with heaters and toilets. You just need to be a little smarter on what days you leave the dock and learn the areas close to town that have fish.

About a month ago I was out in my 19' skiff fishing a hot bite. The rest of the boats were 24'-30' charter boats. Some guys pull up in a 14' skiff with an old 25hp motor. Him and his buddy worked just as many kings as the rest of us. And to be honest with you, it looked like they were having way more fun. I bet they had less money into that skiff than the clients had paid to charter one of those charter boats for the day!
    That is most likely close to what I'm going to do for now to at least get out on the water!

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post

... how 'bout for Valdez, Seward, or Homer? Thinking about buying my first boat myself. Just starting to look around and do some research. Thanks

Myself and a couple buddies are saving up to buy a cheap boat next spring. If we go in it together and split the cost of upkeep and fuel it will help keep the costs down. If one guy decides to get out of the deal, he can sell his interest in the boat to the rest of us or to another party if the rest of the group agree.

Does not take much of a boat to get you into the halibut. Bigger ones get you farther out, but a small craft close to shore will put you on plenty of fish.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast