Thread: Nush shut down.....

Default Nush shut down.....

http://www.adn.com/2010/07/08/135968...agak-king.html

It must be the pike and the beaver.........there is no way any commerical fleet has any affect on this run. Or maybe the river is over run with guide operations and development along the river is ruining the spawning habitat. I say do as they are doing, let the commercial fleet catch 30,000 fish and shut the sportfishery down.

Default Just got back

From the Nush over 4th of July weekend. It was catch and release for kings, but I went anyway. River was a ghost town from what I have seen there in past good returns. I rented a boat at Portage Creek and was the only customer there using a boat and camping at the Portage creek General Store and lodge campground....alone.

Alot of folks in Dillingham are throwing there hands up in the air over how this fishery has been managed this season. Rumor is that it is quite possible that the Nushagak - Mulchatna drainage isn't going to make escapement for either kings or sockeye. Also, alot of folks wondering why they didn't open the Wood River area sooner to allow less pressure on the Nush district. Looks like the Wood river drainage is going to overescape.

The part that makes me wonder is how the sockeye fishery still continues full swing even with the king run in dire straights? The Nush kings are not huge, and many are between 10 and 15 pounds....quite possible to catch them in the smaller mesh size used for reds I would think. Correct me if I am wrong though...

Lastly, the wife and I caught 22 kings for three days of fishing. Like I said the river was a ghost town and we had undisturbed fish in every hole. Although in the past I have caught 22 in one day. Every fish we caught was marked up heavy with net marks, and they were all in the mid to upper 20 pound range which kind of supports my theory that the smaller to medium sized kings are being caught in the sockeye fishery that was in full swing the entire time and still is....

Something like 4.5 million sockeye harvested from the Nushagak district so far?

Default wrong with this picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Charlie View Post
    From the Nush over 4th of July weekend. It was catch and release for kings, but I went anyway. River was a ghost town from what I have seen there in past good returns. I rented a boat at Portage Creek and was the only customer there using a boat and camping at the Portage creek General Store and lodge campground....alone.

Alot of folks in Dillingham are throwing there hands up in the air over how this fishery has been managed this season. Rumor is that it is quite possible that the Nushagak - Mulchatna drainage isn't going to make escapement for either kings or sockeye. Also, alot of folks wondering why they didn't open the Wood River area sooner to allow less pressure on the Nush district. Looks like the Wood river drainage is going to overescape.

The part that makes me wonder is how the sockeye fishery still continues full swing even with the king run in dire straights? The Nush kings are not huge, and many are between 10 and 15 pounds....quite possible to catch them in the smaller mesh size used for reds I would think. Correct me if I am wrong though...

Lastly, the wife and I caught 22 kings for three days of fishing. Like I said the river was a ghost town and we had undisturbed fish in every hole. Although in the past I have caught 22 in one day. Every fish we caught was marked up heavy with net marks, and they were all in the mid to upper 20 pound range which kind of supports my theory that the smaller to medium sized kings are being caught in the sockeye fishery that was in full swing the entire time and still is....

Something like 4.5 million sockeye harvested from the Nushagak district so far?
    So 22 fish catch and release - probably killed two in that process and you are thowing stones at other users. What is wrong with this picture?

Also, catching 22 kings in three days is great fishing. How can you complain about that?

I guess I am shocked when people post great fishing like what you had and then take shots at ADF&G for management of a complex mixed stock fishery. Maybe we need more data on historical harvest data, how the runs are coming in, what the trade offs were, and what the management plans state before calling names. Just a suggestion.

Default Not complaining

I really wasn't trying to complain. Your right, 22 in three days is great fishing and we had a great trip. It was a restricted fishery, and was then shut down on our last day.

After talking with alot of folks in Dillingham, and a few guides/owners in river, it was apparent that many were unhappy. The questions I posed in my previous post were the questions I was hearing from others. I suppose it sounded as if I was taking shots at ADF&G, however that was not my intent.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    So 22 fish catch and release - probably killed two in that process and you are thowing stones at other users. What is wrong with this picture?

Also, catching 22 kings in three days is great fishing. How can you complain about that?

I guess I am shocked when people post great fishing like what you had and then take shots at ADF&G for management of a complex mixed stock fishery. Maybe we need more data on historical harvest data, how the runs are coming in, what the trade offs were, and what the management plans state before calling names. Just a suggestion.
    Lighten up Nerka, Sockeye Charlie had a direct experience in the fishery and talked to locals that had fished that river a lot, pretty good information if you ask me along with relevant questions. The fact remains, the Nush is shut down, commercial fishermen are expected to harvest 30,000 kings. If Charlie was seeing net marked kings that tells me some are getting by but others are getting caught, pretty important information for a fishery that is now shut down. 22 kings in 3 days for 2 people is darn good king fishing on most rivers, not stellar fishing for the Nush, especially when they had every spot to themselves.

Nerka's right. No one should even mention that he fished a river with an escapement goal in the 70 thousands that has a current escapement of 31,000, and as a result is now completely closed to sport fishing of kings. It was totally out of line to mention the thought that the management of the commercial fishery seems blind to the problem, blithely catching 30,000 fish. Even to mention the fact that he abided by the Fish and Game's restriction to hook and release fishing, much less the fact he caught and released fish while following the F&G plan, was totally bad taste. Sheeshh, the class of some people! Right on, Nerka!

Moving along...

Default more of the same willphish4food.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Nerka's right. No one should even mention that he fished a river with an escapement goal in the 70 thousands that has a current escapement of 31,000, and as a result is now completely closed to sport fishing of kings. It was totally out of line to mention the thought that the management of the commercial fishery seems blind to the problem, blithely catching 30,000 fish. Even to mention the fact that he abided by the Fish and Game's restriction to hook and release fishing, much less the fact he caught and released fish while following the F&G plan, was totally bad taste. Sheeshh, the class of some people! Right on, Nerka!

Moving along...
    First, going to catch and release means that ADF&G felt they would make the goal. Otherwise they close the fishery. I guess they have done that now.

Second, you fail to mention the catch distribution of those chinooks - where are they going and what percentage is of the stock of concern?

Third, what management plans govern the actions of ADF&G in this case?

Four - what tradeoffs are being made - missing a goal by a little vs. going over other goals by a lot - not sure this applies but we should know.

Willphish4food - when you do your homework and answer these questions then we can have a discussion. Otherwise is it more silly emotion on your part and not very productive.

Default Just more troublemaking...

yukon, what nerve were you trying to strike by starting this contentious thread? Given your sarcasm, it looks like something other than informational, helpful, or solution-orientend. It looks more like a commercial sportfishermen lighting a match against the commercial fishery in hopes of erupting emotional, contentious fires. And now here we are again in damage control...a wonderful thing for our fisheries.

So why don't you just post the fishery laws, statutes, management plans, etc. that you think have been broken? Why don't you just post your evidence that the commercial fishery is responsible for the closure?

Maybe then we can have a civil discussion on the merits. Not another discussion stirring up emotional conjecture.