Thread: Eyepiece for Pentax PF-65ED II

Default Eyepiece for Pentax PF-65ED II

It looks like I'll be purchasing a new spotter from Doug at CameraLand. I've read a ton of threads on here about the Pentax PF-65ED II but most of them are at least two years old.

I'll be using it for a sheep hunt and was wondering if anyone has any input on a good eyepiece. The recommended Williams Optics one from the other threads is no longer sold. The XW-14 is getting a little high in price for me since I am on a budget of about a $1,000 and need binos too.

Thanks in advance!

I would love to try the WO eye piece but I am pretty happy with the pentax variable. I would just get it in your shoes (you can always upgrade later if needed). You should be able to match the PF65EDII up with a nice set of Minox HG's that Doug has on sale right now. I bet if you told him your budget that he would get you all set up for right at your dollar figure or very close.

Ya, try it with the Pentax eyepiece and see what you think. Lots of guys around here use it no prob. For me, with my overhanging brow and high cheek bone there is not enoght eye relief. But, that's just me. You can talk to guys in the Pentax spotting scope forum over at birdforum.net. Lots of good info there.

Thanks for the replies guys. Snyd I knew you were pretty much the subject matter expert on this so thanks for the link. There's a whole bunch of info on that site. I'm going to the give the zoom a shot and see if I like it. If I don't like it however, I might just go ahead and order the XW14 at a later date.

That XW14 is really sweet. HUGE field of view, bright, crisp, etc. It is heavy though. The XF fixed eyepieces are really nice as well. I had the 8mm ( I think it was) gives 45x, Along with the XW14. Nice combo, but 2 eyepieces and the extra weight made it a little impractical for a sheep hunt. But, the XF12 and XF8 combo is light and would give a guy 30 and 45x. The convenience of a zoom for hunting though is tough to beat.

Well, I went ahead and got the Pentax with the zoom. I also took your advice LuJon and got the Minox HG's...threw in a Zeiss riflescope for good measure. Can't wait to play with them when I get home! Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_hunter7616 View Post
    Well, I went ahead and got the Pentax with the zoom. I also took your advice LuJon and got the Minox HG's...threw in a Zeiss riflescope for good measure. Can't wait to play with them when I get home! Thanks guys.
    Well you officially have the same setup as me then. I am very happy with mine and don't think there is any way to do better without spending a great deal more money.