Thread: Sinnot Retires

Default Sinnot Retires

Both the Anchorage Press and the Alaska Dispatch are reporting that Rick Sinnott retired as of June 30th. While I didn't always agree with the man, my hat is off to him for his decades of service in one of the hardest ADF&G biologist jobs in the state.

Dispatch article on Sinnott's retirement

Press article on Sinnott's retirement

Thumbs up Fine Man, only a few fractures

Regardless of a few policy fractures involving public statements, I liked him very much. I especially respected his "straight shooter policy comments". And he always took time out of his schedule to discuss Chugach Dall Sheep concerns with me whenever I felt I needed enlightment. Always a bit saddened to see the good ones go.

Any word on who will now get that rather choice biologist position??

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post

Any word on who will now get that rather choice biologist position??
    I would think that Jessie Coltrane would have the inside track, but that's just a guess.

Thanks for the links, Brian. I wish Rick all the best, can't blame him for packing it in now. Big loss imo for Anchorage. Jesse is gonna have a rough go of it without Rick there.

I fear this is just the beginning of retirement and exodus of good ADFG staff.

Bushrat, in ending your last sentence with, 'and exodus of good ADFG staff'....

was voiced, heard and became true with many ADFG staff during the late 60's, however retirement wasn't much a factor during that time period.

Its my opinion that Sinnott is not leading any implied exodus.
    Its could just be his time for retiring, just as it recently was with Bob Toby.

I know what its like retiring, after putting my time in. And I know there were some people that 'thought' it was for other reasons, they were wrong,, shucks life is short enough as it is, and myself, like many/most retirees enjoy life more than ever.,
    I don't think Sinnott is any 'exception' , maybe he has enough other interests and now the time and freedom to pursue and enjoy them.

I think DEDWUF nailed it. Life is too short to work forever. Sometimes the retirement of a spouse can be an influence, too.

I will miss his pointed comments. Rick always called it like he saw it and I commend him for that.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

You have got to respect a guy who had the balls to tell people to take responsibility for their own garbage and to give wildlife the respect it deserves.

I heard several of his lectures and was impressed by the breadth of his knowledge as a biologist. I hope he enjoys his retirement, but I think the community will be worse off without his diligence.

I'll be the lone voice of disagreement here. Sinnott had no respect for the people he served. Twisted the facts and figures at BoG meetings. Was an enemy of trappers. List goes on. The only thing sad I see in his retirement is having Coltrane come forward. She's just as bad.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

A step in the right direction, but there are many more to be weeded out. Just takes time, as they have gotten entrenched deeply. Putting Coltrane on the Hot Seat for awhile will help to reveal the inadequacies. Gotta long row to hoe, with each of them.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

It will be interesting to see what direction management in the Anchorage bowl will take. Will bear regulations become a little more liberal? More restrictive? Will we see more Hillside and Eagle River moose hunts? Will testimony before the board favor trapping in Chugach Park or restrict it further? Will dog owners be made to take responsibility for their pets, or will the burden for loose pets' safety be placed upon trappers? We'll just have to see.

And best wishes to Mr Sinnott wherever his path leads him.

Martentrapper....she will continue to be very sympathetic to bears and dog, domestic dog, lovers in or near Anchorage on the trail system, if she lands the job. Remember, it will be competitively advertised, and there are some other area biologists who might want to transfer to Anchorage...as their kids progress through high school and into college, property values, whatever...
    dennis

Good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[QUOTE=AlaskaTrueAdventure;769821 Remember, it will be competitively advertised, and there are some other area biologists who might want to transfer to Anchorage...as their kids progress through high school and into college, property values, whatever...
    dennis[/QUOTE]

Wanna bet? The skids have been getting greased for a very long time. It is the way it works within the beauracracy. The ducks are lined up, before the shooting starts.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Concerning the successor of the crown-jewel-job as Anchorage area SOA "lead" biologist, recently vacated by Sinnott...pls see posts #11 and #13 above...

AKRES had asked, I presume me, if I "Wanna bet?"

Well, I have been thinking, and making a few calls, and I think there are probably several other area biologist who may desire to transfer to Anchorage.

For example, Seve B, down in Craig. He formerly startedin Craig, I believe as assist. bio.,then took over as the "lead" area biologist. (Steve reads this forum occasionally, and I have not spoke with him in five+- years.)
    I'm hoping he applies. He is already an area biologist. He formerly lived in Anchorage and worked for DNR. (And every guide knows that we miss him there!) He is a dall sheep fanatic, and is probably the current living expert concerning area 14C and ChugachState Park sheep ecology.Yep, Steve gets my vote, if I had a vote. And there are probably several other qualified biologists currently employed by SOA, DF&G.

So AKRES, I'll take ya up on your "wanna bet?"
    What are be betting for? Breakfast/Lunch at Village Inn? Or your truck against mine?

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    Concerning the successor of the crown-jewel-job as Anchorage area SOA "lead" biologist, recently vacated by Sinnott...pls see posts #11 and #13 above...

AKRES had asked, I presume me, if I "Wanna bet?"

Well, I have been thinking, and making a few calls, and I think there are probably several other area biologist who may desire to transfer to Anchorage.

For example, Seve B, down in Craig. He formerly startedin Craig, I believe as assist. bio.,then took over as the "lead" area biologist. (Steve reads this forum occasionally, and I have not spoke with him in five+- years.)
    I'm hoping he applies. He is already an area biologist. He formerly lived in Anchorage and worked for DNR. (And every guide knows that we miss him there!) He is a dall sheep fanatic, and is probably the current living expert concerning area 14C and ChugachState Park sheep ecology.Yep, Steve gets my vote, if I had a vote. And there are probably several other qualified biologists currently employed by SOA, DF&G.

So AKRES, I'll take ya up on your "wanna bet?"
    What are be betting for? Breakfast/Lunch at Village Inn? Or your truck against mine?

Dennis
    He'd be a good choice that is for sure, but I don't think he or too many others honestly want the job.
    I'll call your bluff Trucks??? You'd be getting a better deal with the Breakfast, providing you win. A friendly wager will suffice, nothing risked, save your/my egg on our face.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

MMmmmm! Sooner or later, regardless of who pays, that breakfast skillet is gonna taste great.
    dennis

Bout time we get some fresh blood in there. Maybe can get someone who will do some real management. He was overdue to go.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Both the Anchorage Press and the Alaska Dispatch are reporting that Rick Sinnott retired as of June 30th. While I didn't always agree with the man, my hat is off to him for his decades of service in one of the hardest ADF&G biologist jobs in the state.

Dispatch article on Sinnott's retirement

Press article on Sinnott's retirement
    You gotta be kiddin.

I say "Good Riddance".

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Smitty, I'll bite...
    Why the "Good Riddance".
    I'm not kiddin. What did he do, or not do, to lose your confidence?
    dennis

Sinnott's position, the Anchorage Biologist position, has not yet been filled.
    Expect the job to be announced again soon.