Thread: 300rum

Default 300rum

I have a Remington BDL 300RUM and was wanting to cut barrel down to 22"-24". Does anybody have experience with a RUM that they had cut down or with a barrel that short. Im basically want to know how it will effect my ballistics/tradectory.

Thanks in advance
    batesdc

Default Cut-down RUM

I have no experience with a RUM but I think that those large cases really like a long tube to burn up the powder.
    I think a 210 VLD and a whole gob of SLOW powder with a long barrel would be the ticket for a .30 RUM.

Quote Originally Posted by batesdc View Post
    I have a Remington BDL 300RUM and was wanting to cut barrel down to 22"-24". Does anybody have experience with a RUM that they had cut down or with a barrel that short. Im basically want to know how it will effect my ballistics/tradectory.
    I suspect it will be both loud and bright. You'll also lose velocity with most loads; sometimes a little sometimes a lot. I've not gone that route with a RUM, but I've been around several 24 inch 300 Weatherby rifles (never again) and the RUM is simply going to be more of the same. Having said that, much of the extra velocity the RUM produces is not needed anyways so your decrease in external ballistics probably will not amount to any real world loss in performance, IMO.