Thread: Need some planning advice...

Default Need some planning advice...

I'm starting to make plans for myself, my brother and our sons to fulfill a dream and do some fishing up in Alaska. We would fly into Anchorage, then rent an RV and head out to parts unknown to do some Rainbow, Grayling, Dollie Vardin, and Salmon (as many species as possible) fishing. We will be in Alaska for 10 days, so we have time to cover some ground...but don't want to spend more time driving than fishing. I like to fly fish, but everyone else will be using spinning gear. Our problem is the whole "parts unknown" issue...suggestions? We don't really want to do the guide or lodge thing...but want to venture out on our own and not only fish Alaska but SEE Alaska, too.

Any info would be awesome...and greatly appreciated!

depends on when you are coming but I would either go north around willow......plenty of different strems there in close proxcimity to fish, or head down to the kenai. If you google maps for both those you can see there is a few places around each for good fishing.

The kenai area should be good.
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Default Timing advice needed, too...

What would be the best time of year? Mid to late June? Late June to early July? We're looking to get the most out of out fishing trip...both in variety and size. We just got back from a fishing trip to Lake Athabasca that we had been planning for 4 years...caught some HUGE Lake Trout, Grayling and Pike...but we want to fish Alaska. We have some Salmon in Michigan, but not nearly the size or variety that Alaska enjoys. We're looking for that "perfect time" to have our "perfect Alaska Fishing Trip".

Quote Originally Posted by grond View Post
    we will be in alaska for 10 days, so we have time to cover some ground...but don't want to spend more time driving than fishing. !
    what month!

Quote Originally Posted by y0gee View Post
    what month!
    It could be June, July or August...that is something I need advice on as well.

Default July

Can never go wrong with the last two weeks of July. There is plenty of fish and many different species in the rivers that time of year.

Default Book

Pick up a good book, Flyfisher's Guide to Alaska or The Highway Angler. Will give you fish run timing and techniques for places you can drive to and fish. You won't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by aldridge88 View Post
    Pick up a good book, Flyfisher's Guide to Alaska or The Highway Angler. Will give you fish run timing and techniques for places you can drive to and fish. You won't regret it.
    I agree with the Aldridge

It you read that book, you will be able to plan properly and then you can ask more specific questions on this forum.

I could not believe how much I knew about fishing Alaska after going through that book. I looked at maps, knew the weather, knew the species, the run timings, the highways, where to park etc etc etc.

Its a great book.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

I like the first week in August. The weather's nice, everything is green, and the silvers are in.

http://www.ysr-racer.com/alaska_2007.htm

http://www.ysr-racer.com/alaska_2008.htm
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Kings are a june game. Though can be had in july.

Followed by at the same time or very closely after reds (sockeyes).

July pinks start showing up with chums on their heels.

By august, coho's start showing getting better as august drags along and turns to september.

Different areas of the state timings are slightly different, with an emphasis on one species or another having a typically "good to great" run vs all enclusive where other rivers do good on all species...

So to tell you when to come is an answer YOU as a group need to decide. Do you want to chase kings (a low to modest number large fish) or coho's (a fish that could go mid to high teens and can be have LOTS of fish along with chums and pinks still around)? Are you interested in bringing fish home, or just travel the state and enjoy the experience? Again questions you as a group need to sit down and discuss.

Grayling is good in june getting better as it turns to july. I cant speak for rainbows other then in the interior. Sure as heck wish I could....Steelhead are spring or fall depending on river and most of those are not situated on the mainland. There is a couple thoug being the Kasilof and Anchors. Another trip I need to make happen, just never seems to work. The unfortunate thing living in the interior and being a hunter at the same time.

Once the group decides it's direction you'll get better more specific answers.

Ps,
    almost forgot to throw in a charter trip day or two for salt water, another option to think about, which will help dictate your drive time and direction of rivers to pick from to fill in the rest of the time and keep this drive time down (ie kenai penninsula).

Thanks for all the info!! I had actually ordered the Highway Angler before I had even found this forum, so iguess I'm one step ahead. Looking forward to readiing the book, and the nbeing able to ask more specific questions.

Thanks again!!

Default basically

the later in summer you go, the fatter (& heavier) the trout, dollies & grayling will be. Spawning salmon put lots of eggs in the water. Dying salmon put lots of flesh in the rivers. Both trigger a feeding frenzy in the fish mentioned.
    Any stream that gets salmon runs, will basically hold at least one of the predator species. Some will have all three.
    The later you time your trip, the more food will be available to the trout. Fishing in the Kenai remains good till freeze-up, but in smaller streams, the fish typically start to migrate to the mouths of the streams in September.
    If I were you, I'd target trout & catch others (including silvers) as they happened.
    To really catch grayling, you will almost have to schedule a trip to the Denali or Richardson Hwys & that would be pretty much all you'd catch.
    If you're going to do much Kenai fishing, I'd definitely try to get at least 1 day of guided fishing on the uppper or middle river for trout. And do it on the first day you fish it. The techniques you pick up from the guide will serve you well for the rest of your trip.
    Gary

If I was you I would come in july. If you hit it right you can fish the kenai for kings, and reds, rainbows. With that being said if you fish the streams on the Susitna I would go in august. Jun is ok too around the kenai but you are pretty limited to just kings, though there is a smaller run of reds then too. Read that book it will tell you every thing you need ot know, the run timing charts are usually pretty good but this year every thing is way late so keep that in mind, and check back here to find good run timing charts. Also anther good web site is AOJ private angler...........mostly just reports of people fishing on any given day, it will help you gauge when a run is in.