Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unit 13 Moose Hunting Salvage Requirements for General Season Hunters

Default Unit 13 Moose Hunting Salvage Requirements for General Season Hunters

Hi all,

Presently, there is a new change for Unit 13, General Season Harvest Moose hunters that will take effect starting July 1, 2007, for the next regulatory year! This fall, unless changed at the March BOG meeting, we will also be required to salvage the "Head, Hide, Heart, Kidneys, and Liver" along with all the meat and antlers!

There are a few proposals to get it changed back to the way it was, meat and antlers only.

Voice your opinion and get it changed back at this March meeting!

what no intestines? how we gonna make sausage?

Thumbs down 13

I hasn't been changed, yet. The Ahtna appear to be upset at the new subsistence regulations; head, kidneys, hide, head, etc. must be harvested for the Tier II moose and caribou hunt in 13. Plus, the super-exclusive plan wasn't implemented, so now they are upset and want no one else to hunt in "their" area. That's my take on the "proposals" they submitted. These are selfish proposals and don't address management of game, so hopefully they'll go nowhere.

Tim

Default It has been changed in October, can be changed back in March!

Tim,

This HAS been changed and will be in the new regulations in July for General Season Moose as well for GMU 13, unless changed back to the old way in March! Also, the regulation will be that the meat must remain on the bone of the front quarters, hindquarters and ribs until removed from the field.

The problem a lot of times is that we hunters often do not completely understand what is being proposed and passed! Most of us think that the word "subsistence" only refers to Tier II stuff, but that is not true!

I for one do not want to bring out the edible organs(heart, liver and kidneys), head, and hide of a moose that I may luckily end up getting during my general season hunt! I will be at the meeting to be heard! Again, the more that show up to speak out in protest, the better.

What I can find refers to the "permittee" in the verbage. As tier I doesn't require a permit, this says to me that it pertains to only tier II hunts. It also only lists the tier II hunts in the main verbage of the original proposal.

I just found confirmation that this is tier II only. Prop 2.

http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/g.../sac-10-06.pdf

Default I know WHEN the BOG meeting is...

How do I know when specific proposals will be brought up? I'd love to go testify on four or five proposals but don't know when/what date to go.

Tim

MooseCall,

Where are you getting this information??

ChrisWillH,

I know what you are reading, I have a copy in my hand.

TRUST ME when I say that the verbage of what you are reading is incorrect. Under the description: "Modify subsistence hunt requirements.", this does not only refer to Tier II as stated in the amendments paragraph.

This proposal refers to all Moose & Caribou hunting in GMU 13! General Season and Tier II.

On the top, read the statement: "This summary of actions is for information purposes only and is not intended to detail, ..."

Just trust me...

MooseCall,

I just don't believe what you're saying. The proposal you are speaking of applies to subsistence hunts, not the general season. Is there some hidden code or something we should be aware of.

I've been a to a lot of BOG meetings and trestified on ocassion, and as long as I can recall there has always been a difference between general hunting seasons and subsistence hunts. I have never seen a proposal worded to apply to one type of hunt and have a hidden agenda for something else.

Trust me..

Alasken,

Sorry you don't believe what I am saying. The word subsistence is used in a variety of ways in the Statues, Codes, and Regulations.

I'm sure we have both been to many BOG meetings. Just do some research on this with the correct people.

Thanks!

Default Semantics

The root of this misunderstanding lies in the statutes, which (no surprise) are confusing and contradictary. I checked with someone at fish and game's wildlife desk. He says the changes as written will cover the regular moose season as well in unit 13. Maybe someone could find the actual statute that was passed in October so we could read what it says.

Default MooseCall is correct!

Refer to a post by a biologist under the Sheep Proposals thread. The General Season hunt is a Tier I hunt since there isn't a non-resident season. Even if the non-resident season is re-instated in March, this would be in effect if it ever reverted back to Tier I. Sad, but true. Thanks for the info Moosecall.

(Chris..thanks for the BOG calendar.)

Tim

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Quote Originally Posted by chrisWillh View Post

What I can find refers to the "permittee" in the verbage. As tier I doesn't require a permit,

Are you saying that you hunt Moose without getting a Harvest Permit?

Default yup, it's true

MooseCall is correct in the statement of this issue. All moose and caribou hunts in Unit 13 are currently considerence 'subsistence', therefore this salvage requirement will apply to everyone (all 600+ successful hunters), unless it is overturned at the March Board meeting. Currently, moose hunting in the unit takes place under a limited tier II permit hunt (150 permits; 1-15 Aug.) as well as under the resident-only general season moose hunt (harvest ticket; 1-20 Sept.). If you aren't interested in packing out the head, hide, heart, kidneys, liver, meat on the bone, antlers, and the stomach (F&G got the Board to forget intestines because of the health risk), then you might want to consider coming to the Board meeting (March 2nd public testimony begins) and testifying to this. The proposal book is availabe on the Dept. of F&G website, under Board Support. There are several proposals toward the end of the book that ask to have this requirement revoked. I explained a little more of the background behind this regulation on another thread, I guess on sheep proposals.

Thumbs up

Moosecall is right on this one. As far as the intestines, it was discussed, used to be eaten and called "burnt gut", probably a few other names. Maby if the BOG gets enough COD's containing moose hides they will change it back. I think they have a personal problem with the natives and the rest of us are caught in the middle. I seriously doubt they will allow non-resident hunts, esp this year. When it comes to Unit 13 the BOG should be deadly proactive in whatever they do here.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickH View Post
    .....Maybe someone could find the actual statute that was passed in October so we could read what it says.
    It would not be a statute unless passed by the Legislature and signed by the governor.

What is referred to here is regulation, which is enacted by regulatory bodies like the Board of Game/ADFG.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    How do I know when specific proposals will be brought up? I'd love to go testify on four or five proposals but don't know when/what date to go.....
    You do not have to go. If you did, you might not get to testify, anyway, unless you're prepared to sign in under the "proper" procedure, stay until your turn, and you'd be held to a minute or three.

It's much better to do what we're doing right now; type away at a keyboard. Structure your letter under the format required,then mail it certified to the Board Support Section during the public comment period. It becomes part of the official, public record.

Here is the link to the March BOG agenda.

On pages i and ii are the rules for submitting written comment:

.....Before taking action on these proposed changes to the regulations, the board would like your
    written comments and/or oral testimony on any effects the proposed changes would have on your
    activities.
    After reviewing the proposals, please send written comments to:

ATTN: BOG COMMENTS
    Alaska Department of Fish and Game
    Boards Support Section
    P.O. Box 115526
    Juneau, AK 99811-5526
    Fax: 907-465-6094

Public comment, in combination with Advisory Committee comments and department staff
    presentations, provide the Board of Game with useful biological and socioeconomic data to form
    decisions. Comments may be submitted at any time until the public testimony period for that
    proposal and/or its subject matter is closed at the meeting and the board begins deliberations. As
    a practical matter, you are encouraged to mail or fax your written comments to the above Juneau
    address no later than 5:00 p.m. on Friday, February 16, 2007 to ensure inclusion in the board
    workbook. All comments received after that time will be presented to board members at the timeof the meeting, but may not be printed in the board workbook. Written comments will also be
    accepted during the board meeting and public testimony during the public testimony portion of
    the meeting is always appreciated. Written comments become public documents.
    When providing written comments on the proposals in this proposal book, please consider the
    following tips to help ensure board members and the public more fully understand
    recommendations to the board:
    Timely Submission: Submit written comments by fax or mail at least two weeks prior to the
    meeting. Comments received at least two weeks prior to the meeting are printed and cross
    referenced in the board members’ workbooks. Written comments received after the two-week
    period will be included in the workbooks as “late comments” and are not cross referenced.
    Materials received during the meeting also are not cross referenced. If you provide written
    comments during a board meeting, submit 20 copies to Board Support Section staff, who will
    distribute your written comments to board members. If including graphs or charts, please
    indicate the source.
    List the Proposal Number: Written comments should indicate the proposal number(s) to which
    the comments apply. Written comments should specifically state “support” or “opposition” to
    the proposal(s). This will help ensure written comments are correctly noted for the board
    members. If the comments support a modification in the proposal, please indicate “support as
    amended” and provide a preferred amendment in writing.
    Do Not Use Separate Pages When Commenting on Separate Proposals: If making
    comments on more than one proposal, please do not use separate pieces of paper. Simply begin
    the next set of written comments by listing the next proposal number.
    Provide an Explanation: Please briefly explain why you are in support or opposition of the
    proposal. Board actions are based on a complete review of the facts involved in each proposal,
    not a mere calculation of comments for or against a proposal. Advisory committees and other
    groups also need to explain the rationale behind recommendations. Minority viewpoints from an
    advisory committee should be noted in advisory committee minutes along with the majority
    recommendation. The board benefits greatly from understanding the pro and cons of each issue.
    A brief description consisting of a couple of sentences is sufficient.
    Write Clearly: Comments will be photocopied so please use 8 1/2" x 11" paper and leave
    reasonable margins on all sides, allowing for hole punches. Whether typed or handwritten, use
    dark ink and write legibly.....
    Effective participation by more of the general public will help get control of the system away from the professionals (guides, transporters, booking agents, outfitters, lodge operators, etc) and the organized subsistence lobby.

Default salvage requirement

What really sucks about this requirement is that its biased against traditional subsistence hunters. Anyone who has to pack out their game by foot will be seriously limited by this requirement. While someone with a machine can put all these body parts on the back of a trailer and pack it out without effort. I hope the BOG reverses this one.
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

I just don't see what the complaint is. A "TRUE" hunter would be salvaging this stuff anyway. Even if he had to pack it out on foot. If anything, you all should be leaving the horns in the field...............right?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast