Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where R the Pike???

Default Where R the Pike???

Fellow fishermen,
    I have a sea eagle inflatable boat, plenty of poles, and a 6 year old on who is dying to catch his first pike! Can someone please help me?
    I live near Sand lake which no longer holds any pike due to the ADF&G poison last year. We would love to drive out to the valley and fish, but we have NO idea where to go. We can't hike very far with the boat and youngster in tow.
    Do any of you fine fishermen know where we might find some good pike fishing near Anchorage??? You would help make one happy 6 yr. old!
    Thanks!

Look in to prator lake. I havent fished it but I've heard it has pike.

Awhile ago a guy made a post about pike fishing in lower fire lake in eagle river. I tried it and saw a lot of big pike but it was on the warmest and sunniest day this summer and the pike were just not moving. Maybe on an over cast day the lake would be good.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Default I fish Fire Lake quite a bit

or at least I used to. 3-4 years ago, there were a lot of pike (and some real nice rainbows) in the lake, but very heavy fishing pressure has changed that dramatically. We caught a total of 3 small pike from Fire Lake all last year, and have yet to catch a single fish there this year. I too would like to find a lake where there's a reasonable chance to catch some pike...Fire Lake ain't it.

Great! thanks for the input fellas!

Default I'm in the same boat

My two oldest kids (3 and 5) are dying to go fishing, I am a life long alaskan and have never fished a day in my life (sad, I know.) I bought a license, some cheap poles, but have no idea where to take them. Any pike fishing in the valley that is kid friendly? please let me know!!! (I have no idea what I'm doing.)

Hey Guys, with the inflatable raft try Nancy Lake. Just work the edges on the north side of the lake with tiger pattern Rapala's.

If you want to spend more time head into the trail system. All the lakes in the trail system have pike.

arctic man are you referencing the swanson lake canoe trail system? I'm hoping to find some time to drag the strip canoe through there this summer before things become hard water again. Was thinking maybe when the silvers show up in the river.

Swanson river is a great float trip on the peninsula, especially if you want silvers and a good moose hunt but not Pike.

The Nancy Lake Canoe Trail System (In the Mat-Su Valley) has pike in every single lake and many of those lakes have state cabins. You can even drift down the little sue and access from there. Hook up with Tippecanoe for a canoe rental ($36 a day) and he will give ya a clue where they are hitting the best.

Took the family out to Prator Lake in Houston, AK on Saturday. Fished off a small inflatable across the entire lake for 3 hours and did not even see a fish! Does anyone have any better suggestions for Pike??
    Better luck next time!

We smacked the PIKE yesterday...just trolled around and assasinated them. First time pike fishing and it was awesome.

Two great pike areas,deadman lk. Near tok,manely hot springs slough.long drive though.

Prator??? Dude!!! Keep going north, turn left at Nancy lake and put in there.. lol.. Or hit the trail system. Can't get any easier.
    nlsummap.jpg

Nancy lake has been pretty hot this summer but there are a lot of pleasure boaters out there so be cautious if your in a small boat. As suggested the canoe trail in the Nancy lake state park is a prime location. Tanana holds large pike and still contains a good population of decent trout in the deeper sections, Milo and Ardaw are both good and you can consistantly pull out 20" hammer handles. This time of year the pike move off of the bank into a little deeper water. Spinnerbaits and 3 inch twister tails work well. I typically find the fish holding in about 8 feet of water during the day. Of course they will move closer to shore in the evenings and happily take a topwater bait. I wouldnt reccomend portaging any farther with your boy on a day trip. But If you like camping there are campsites through out the trail system and its a hoot to run all 12 lakes you should have good cell signal if you were to get into a bind. Maps are available online on the state park page.

Nancy lake is a good bet. Buddy of mine pulled a 37" pike out below the bridge where the creek is a few years back. Nancy is better than most of those lakes.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Does anybody do boat rentals on that lake???

Hit nancy lake system on monday...went from tananna or whatever its called all the way to lynx lake. Did pretty good on hammer handles all day. Only got a few takes on topwater most if not all were on bow imitations (banjo minnow kinda things) and rapalas

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

I flew out to Alexander on Thursday. I caught around 35 pike and all but two were 24 inches or less. I had a few bigger followers but only two nice takers. It seems like they act like muskies up here. After every cast, make a quick figure 8 with your lure at the side of the boat and you will up your catch. I got the majority on Johnson silver minnows in gold color with a yellow twisty tail, bright yellow spinner baits, and a green/yellow top water frog.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Nice PIKE!
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

nice fish, but man you sure are using a log of a pole... should try somthing more twig like next time.. just a thouht

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast