Thread: 5 wt 6pc for <$150

Default 5 wt 6pc for <$150

Hey guys
    Ill make it short and sweet.
    Im a novice fly fisherman looking to invest in a 5 wt fly rod. I will mostly be fishing lakes and a few streams for trout. I am most interested in a 4 or 6 pc.

What is your fav rod for around $150? I have heard great things about the Temple Forks rod.

thanks for any and all imput or advice!

Echo Carbon. Really fun rod with a good warranty for about $169.00. I bought one and have had a ball with it. I'm really impressed with the value of Echo rods. I haven't tried an Echo Solo, but those are priced under $100.00.

I checked a few sources and couldn't find a decent 6-piece rod I'd recommend in your price range, but there are several 4-piece.

I don't have any experience with Echo, but they have a solid rep.

I do have experience with several Temple Fork models, and even with a houseful of Sage, Loomis, Winston and other high-end rods, I'm impressed with Temple Fork products.

So are the guys I fish with around the West- We're all serious about fly fishing, and I think the "newbie" in our loose group has over 30 years experience. We all use them for travel rods now since you can buy 3 or more for the cost of one high-end rod, yet they cast really well. Can't beat the warranty either. As we retire the high-end rods for one reason or another, many are being replaced with Temple Fork for use on home waters, too.

I'm sure you're going to get a lot of it, but another vote for temple fork in that price range. I have 2, 4pc 4weights and love both of them...they cast every bit as good as my 3wt sage!

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    I'm sure you're going to get a lot of it, but another vote for temple fork in that price range. I have 2, 4pc 4weights and love both of them...they cast every bit as good as my 3wt sage!

My wife and I are huge fans of TFO's. We have been fishing them for about 5 years. The only issue I have had with them is when I was drunk at camp and stepped on them. They dont take that well. I have a couple of 6 wts and have used them hard. I use my 6 on reds on the kenai when floating and not around the crowds. with plenty of room it takes them fine. I have been looking at the ECHO's and hear good things about them but have not used them. I have a buddy who has been using one for reds this year and he has no grips
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I love TFO! I have a TiCrx 4-piece and it is amazing. That thing has gone through two reels and still works flawlessly. I've used it for Reds in the Klutina, Steelhead on the Situk, Silvers, Pinks, Chums. I can't say enough about TFO.

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

two REELS Sith?!?! I'm worried about my raft now LOL!

Thumbs up Yepper TFO

http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/

They have several big names pushing their products now inlcuding Gary Loomis, Jim Teeny and Lefty Kreh. The Big Three are also in the desgin process. They have a lot going for them to inlcude the warranty.

I have fished them for a while and they are very comparable to anything on the market and the price is correct. Their reel selection is decent as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    two REELS Sith?!?! I'm worried about my raft now LOL!
    They were reel failures, and I didn't have the desire to have them fixed. One was a G Loomis Venture 7...POS and the other was a Wright and McGill that had the cork disc drag disintegrate after a week on the Situk...POS! That is why I went with a Lamson Hard Alox.

No worries about your raft....

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jason in SE View Post
    Hey guys
    Ill make it short and sweet.
    Im a novice fly fisherman looking to invest in a 5 wt fly rod. I will mostly be fishing lakes and a few streams for trout. I am most interested in a 4 or 6 pc.

What is your fav rod for around $150? I have heard great things about the Temple Forks rod.

thanks for any and all imput or advice!
    Try the redington ct fly rod. Sweet casting action for dry flying. Very similar to the sage LL series. Comes in 4 and 6 piece. Visit their website.

Cabela's has a few different 4 and 6 piece rods in the 150$ and less price range. I can't speak to thier quality but may be worth a look.

If you really want a travel rod, look at the Orvis Frequent Flyer. The below model from the Orvis website is a 8.5 foot 5 weight 7 piece for $198. I have a few of these in 4 and 6 wt and they are decent for their intended purpose.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.a...subcat_id=7445

Also, check out the 5 (and more) piece outfits from Cabelas.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

great thanks guys

I checked out a buddies TFO 6 piece this weekend. It seemed to cast really well! I am pretty sure I am going with the TFO now. I just need to decide 4 or 6 piece and 5 or 6 wt. Any suggestions. Like I said mostly for trout and maybe the occasional pink. Lots of float plane and airline travel.

Is a 5 wt too small for a humpy? Is a 6 pc worth $40 more than a 4 pc?

Thanks again!

We use 4 wts all the time for humpies unless the wind is blowing. A 5 is lots more versatile. While a 6 certainly works too, the 5 is just a whole lot more fun. Go for it!

I would go with the 4 pc. Less time getting it ready to fish. Tight lines.
    Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.