Thread: Unguided Caribou Meal Planning

Default Unguided Caribou Meal Planning

Gentlemen,

I need some help planning meals for a 5-7 day unguided caribou hunt. I thought about freeze dried for most of it. Any ideas or websites would be greatly appreciated.

Dave Kimball
    highorder34@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by highorder34 View Post
    Gentlemen,

I need some help planning meals for a 5-7 day unguided caribou hunt. I thought about freeze dried for most of it. Any ideas or websites would be greatly appreciated.

Dave Kimball
    highorder34@hotmail.com
    I'm heading in for a fall Brown hunt out West for 10 days and although simple and maybe bland here is my layout.
    Morning- Various Oatmeal, Cream o'Wheat
    Lunch- 2ea 5lb ham and turkey meat packs, bulk cheese, bread prior to
    flyout, granola, trail mix, pb&J
    Dinner- Mountain House, Various canned meals

Like I said it's not steak and eggs but keeps me going and feeling good.

Default mix it up

nothings worse than sitting in camp eating feeze dried every day thinking you gotta save weight for the plane, when you could have packed a cooler with some decent food and had a decent meal occassionaly.

What i do is to make up a bunch of meals in advance of the hunt, vac-pack and freeze them. Then all it takes is to boil the pack in water.

All i have to do in the field is boil water - whether it's for a freeze-dried Mountain House or my prepped meals, a hot meal is pretty easy, relatively quick and i get what i like.
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

Quote Originally Posted by aces-n-eights View Post
    What i do is to make up a bunch of meals in advance of the hunt, vac-pack and freeze them. Then all it takes is to boil the pack in water.

All i have to do in the field is boil water - whether it's for a freeze-dried Mountain House or my prepped meals, a hot meal is pretty easy, relatively quick and i get what i like.
    I do the same thing. Great way to go, Freeze them flat so they stack really nice and put them all together in a cooler so they stay frozen for a good long time. I do this for one meal a day and the other meals I do the oatmeal/snack thing. Mountain house meals start leaving you craving fats and protien after a few days of hunting. No dishes, no mess.

Oatmeal with raisins thrown in for breakfast. A couple Mountain House breakfasts for variety. Also there's plenty of blue berries out there to pick and throw in the oatmeal.
    Lunch is usually snacks like trail mix and sandwich with meat that keeps. Crackers, cheese, that type of thing. Dinner is usually been Mountain House and I solve the craving of protien by eating the caribou I get on day 2 Usually we have the MH rice pilaf with the caribou backstap or tenderloins.

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Default For protein and fat

I pack in a few logs of summer sausage. They don't spoil and are worth the added weight. I normally carry one for ever two days out. They really add a nice change to freeze dried stuff.

Default My Menu...

for 2 guys on a 7-day caribou hunt. Count up how many of each meal you need, then add a couple extra in case you get weathered in a couple days extra...

Breakfast (8 plus two extra)

2 Dozen Eggs (for 3-4 breakfasts, maybe 1-2 dinners too)
    Bacon
    Instant Oatmeal (Apple Cinnamon, 12 packets)
    Cereal (4-6 small boxes)
    Milk

Lunch (9 plus two extra)

Ham
    Salami/Pepperoni
    Peanut Butter
    Jelly
    Bread (4 loaves)

Dinner (8 plus two extra)

Steaks/Pork Chops (for a couple meals)
    Mountain House (for 2-3 meals, plus a few extra)
    Eggs/bacon (for 1-2 dinners)
    4-6 potatoes
    Onions/Mushrooms

Snacks (during the day)

Nuts, raisins, or trail mix
    Candy bars/Granola bars
    Apples/Oranges
    Pudding

Drinks
    Hot chocolate (36 packets)
    Tang
    Koolaid or Crystal Light
    12-pack of Coke (my coke fix)

The vacuum packed meals are the way to go. We usually make an italian chili, jambalya and a stew of some sort. They work great as ice packs to help keep the other stuff in the cooler cold as well. I break the breakfasts up with yogurt as oatmeal gets old real quick. Sandwich stuff for lunches and jerky, candy bars and gatorade mix to add some flavor to the water.

Can't help, you havent provided enough info. Are you hiking in, drifting or flying(ungieded hunt)? What time of year, your callorie intake will jump dramatically if your doing a cold weather hunt? Lots of good advice here but what you pack will vary dramatical depending on how your planning on hunting. For example on drift tirps I eat like I do at home, maybe a bit better. However when I hike out from the haul road in april (temps are in the single didgets at night) I'll be eating a lot of freeze dried, power bars and something fatty before bed.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default Cheese

Don't forget a 2# or 3# block of cheese. It's a great snack and doesn't spoil. In our cases, it doesn't last long enough to spoil.

My breakfast is 2 or 3 packets of flavored oatmeal with various stuff (blueberries) thrown in. I prefer Craisins to raisins.

I also vac pac & freeze various meals for supper. Just heat & eat.

RickP is completely correct. How are you getting there? I know that for two guys flying out in a Beaver you can pack some premium food like steaks and real potatoes.. and eat like kings for ten days
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default I love to live good in the field

First thing is a good five day cooler.
    Instead of eggs I bring egg beaters frozen
    pancake mix that only needs water(pick berrys)
    ham in large packages frozen
    one box of oatmeal
    sun dried tomatoes and creame cheese omlets W/ham

Lunch: Bagles, enough for two each everyday, indiv. wraped creame cheese packs, caribou summer sauage or salami, (you can't ruin or crush a bagle)freeze them to. fruit cups, candy bars, power bars. gator aid packs.

Diner: I freeze all my meat and use as it starts to thaw. Steaks, boneless pork chops. hot dogs. I always try to bring a few meals in vac. bags for nights you get in late. frozen veges, instant potatoes, caned vegs, instant soup.

Dam now I'm hungry, guess I should go hunting soon.