Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: How Far Upriver?

  1. #1

    Question How Far Upriver?

    In some of the other discussions, the comments pretty much resoundingly condemn the taking of Salmon way up river.
    At what point/miles inland, does it become Unethical to take Spawning Salmon? Is it somehow More Ethical to take Salmon way up river to eat?

    My take on it: There should be no Salmon taken beyond 37 miles inland, for any reason whatsoever, not to eat, not to play with, not to C&R nor to disturb in any manner.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post

    My take on it: There should be no Salmon taken beyond 37 miles inland, for any reason whatsoever, not to eat, not to play with, not to C&R nor to disturb in any manner.

    How far is the Russian River Falls, from the ocean........?

  3. #3

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    How far is the Russian River Falls, from the ocean........?
    hmmmmmmm.....Too Far?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  4. #4

    Default How Far is Dawson?

    As another example.....

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,073

    Default

    What is significant about 37 miles?

  6. #6

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    What is significant about 37 miles?
    That is my imaginary line/marker. Sorta like the way Fish and Game puts markers/imaginary lines on the creeks prohibiting people from messing with the Spawners above the marker/imaginary line.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,883

    Default

    37 miles inland would be to just above Skilak Lake, but below Kenai Lake. River mile 37 would be to just above the Moose River, but below the Killey.

  8. #8
    Member Raptor_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    1,265

    Default

    I don't think you could put a blanket milage on all salmon streams statewide. Each individual river/lake would have to be managed seperately. Fish and Game would have to do surveys to find out where the fish are spawning and close the river off below that point, much like they do now on a lot of Alaska waterways.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

  9. #9

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Grampyfishes View Post
    37 miles inland would be to just above Skilak Lake, but below Kenai Lake. River mile 37 would be to just above the Moose River, but below the Killey.
    I never have been able to travel anywhere in Alaska, as the crow flies. Never/Nowhere, even in a cub. I stand corrected in my previous post. It would have to be 37 River Miles.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,073

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grampyfishes View Post
    37 miles inland would be to just above Skilak Lake, but below Kenai Lake. River mile 37 would be to just above the Moose River, but below the Killey.
    That is a narrow view, I didn't see any mention of the kenai in the original post, it seemed more of a general rule for the state. Maybe akres could clarify. Thx

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,883

    Default

    Come on yukon.

    The Russian River is part of the Kenai system. It was discussed in the first response HERE and by the original poster HERE. My repsonse provided a good example of contrast between "river miles" and "inland" miles. I think everyone got that.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    That is a narrow view, I didn't see any mention of the kenai in the original post, it seemed more of a general rule for the state. Maybe akres could clarify. Thx
    Yes, I meant to imply that it should be applicable to the entire State. As the fish move above that point, they should be reclassified as Spawners and not messed with in any manner. As much as the Russian is a part of the Kenai system, so is the Killey and others. Why do some feel as though they should be able to exploit the fish in some drainages and not others? The folks targeting the Spawners seemingly don't realize what they are doing.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  13. #13
    Member Raptor_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    1,265

    Default

    So what about places like ship where the fish are forced to spawn no where near 37 miles upstream? Each river/drainage has to be managed seperately instead of having a 37 mile blanket no fishing zone for every river in the state. Not every river is 37 miles long and not all salmon spawn past river mile 37. What is so special about 37 miles anyway?
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    So what about places like ship where the fish are forced to spawn no where near 37 miles upstream? Each river/drainage has to be managed seperately instead of having a 37 mile blanket no fishing zone for every river in the state. Not every river is 37 miles long and not all salmon spawn past river mile 37. What is so special about 37 miles anyway?
    37 miles is the Maximum distance by river miles from salt water that salmon should be taken or disturbed. Certainly some creeks warrant less, like Ship, Bird, Jim, Ingram and others that are blocked by man or naturally short by natural barriers. In some creeks, like Rabbit Creek, they spawn within a couple of hundred yards from the salt, so they are Spawners the instant they enter into fresh water. The fish that do have to travel more than 37 River Miles should by all measure be regarded as Spawners.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  15. #15
    Member ret25yo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Unit 13
    Posts
    1,471

    Default

    looks like everyone in the upper copper district would then be screwed..lol ...Cordova's gonna hate it..lol

    If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

  16. #16
    Member Raptor_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    1,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    37 miles is the Maximum distance by river miles from salt water that salmon should be taken or disturbed. Certainly some creeks warrant less, like Ship, Bird, Jim, Ingram and others that are blocked by man or naturally short by natural barriers. In some creeks, like Rabbit Creek, they spawn within a couple of hundred yards from the salt, so they are Spawners the instant they enter into fresh water. The fish that do have to travel more than 37 River Miles should by all measure be regarded as Spawners.

    Why though?? What makes 37 river miles so special?? That's the question. Are there any studies or any data of any sort that says, "All salmon spawn at least 37 miles upstream unless hindered by manmade or natural objects." And the fish that spawn in streams less than 37 miles? Are you suggesting that they immidiately be concidered spawners upon entry to fresh water and all of those be shut to salmon fishing? C'mon man, it's just not logical. All streams have to be managed seperately as they are now. Bios and F&Gs do the footwork, find where the salmon are spawning, and shut that section off to sportfishing. Look in the regs, it's clearly laid out. I completely agree with you that salmon should be left alone on the spawning grounds, but suggesting putting a blanket "37 miles" rule on the whole state just makes no sence.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •