Thread: Flies for Chena Kings???

Default Flies for Chena Kings???

What do you guys use? Whatever it is a fly or just a hook with yarn on it. Please let me know I'm still yet to catch any kind of salmon. I spent a lot of time and money trying to catch reds only to find the rig of choice was a 2/0 hook and a piece of yarn. Any help is appreciated. Also how do you fish them? Is it something you strip across or just drift through the some place over and over. Also what kind of weight do you use?

Thanks Much

basically yarn will work well here too.

Fat freddies in orange, orange chartuese, fuschia, and fuschia chartues with two multi colored ones being my go to's usually. They are a little harder to get down though, kinda like casting a big wet wool sock LOL. Overall keep your leaders short if you're using some fast sinking heads...you'll want to keep them longer if you're using a floating line and running split shot and the weight of the fly to get down. No sense in fighting a floating line when you're trying to get deep.

Fuschia bunny flies if I had to pick one fly this would be it, no this IS it!....tie a few up in chartuese also. Depending on the water you fish, I tie some cone heads and some without, adding some krystal flash in the tail.

For slower water popcicles work well, faster water they really loose their profile even adding a bump of chenille first then palmering the maribou down. Really pulses in slower water. I like a more pink then the typical fuschia color in this one (also works extremely well for chums and cohos!), same thing orange or a combo orange and fushcia/pinkish color and some krystal flash.

But yarn is a staple and easy to do...learn to tie an egg loop and get on the water. Let me know if you want someone to run around with...itching to break out the loomis mega rod and a t400 line..havent tried the two together yet. It was too much for my cheapola 9wt lol.

Have you heard anything about counts yet?

Still nothing on the ADF&G site for the Chena or Salcha....typical.

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Salmon Sith View Post
    Still nothing on the ADF&G site for the Chena or Salcha....typical.
    True, i wish they would be on the game I would like to do some fishin after work....if I knew they were there yet

California, Prev: Idaho, Colorado, Alaska

Talked with a guy who works part time for the F&G; counted a few going through on Weds morning and a few again that night. Also talked with a friend that went with a FBKS "charter" last weekend and they fished the mouth; no fish caught. I might try this Sunday, will post again after that.

Counts are up on the website. First fish was counted on the Chena 6 July.

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

I went looking around the chena dam today. Saw one 10-15 pounder hanging out, but that was all.