Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bringing Fish back to the Lower 48

Default Bringing Fish back to the Lower 48

Question for the more experienced.

I am due to leave Anchorage @ 9:45pm and we check out of our Lodge that morning. If I pack my Fish that had been Frozen for a couple of days in a couple of Wax Boxes that morning.

Would they survive the Drive back to Anchorage, waiting around until Check in and then my Flight back to Georgia?

If the answer is no, what is my other options? I am afraid after Two Halibut Trips and Fishing for Reds on the Kenai for a week that I will simply have too much fish to ship via FedEx. I could ship a Box of Fish that way but not 3 to 4 boxes.

Thanks for your guys help

Quote Originally Posted by Rgrwalker View Post
    Question for the more experienced.

I am due to leave Anchorage @ 9:45pm and we check out of our Lodge that morning. If I pack my Fish that had been Frozen for a couple of days in a couple of Wax Boxes that morning.

Would they survive the Drive back to Anchorage, waiting around until Check in and then my Flight back to Georgia?

If the answer is no, what is my other options? I am afraid after Two Halibut Trips and Fishing for Reds on the Kenai for a week that I will simply have too much fish to ship via FedEx. I could ship a Box of Fish that way but not 3 to 4 boxes.

Thanks for your guys help
    Pack them with some newspapers, and a couple of those gel packs. I have had fish shipped and it has taken 24 hours to get there. They were still rock hard when I opened the box. Plus there is a freezer at Anch airport. If your gonna be there for a bit, pay the small fee to keep them froze them untill you check in.

Or pay the extra money and use a cooler too. May cost more. I have never had an issue with the fish boxes. I have friends who take fish back to the east coast every year in the boxes and never have a problem
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Thank you very much Chuck. I was unaware of the Freezer in Anchorage. You wouldn't happen to have any Phone # or Address for me would ya?

It is at the airport believe it or not. Down at baggage claim. I dont have a number but pm sodabiscut on here. he has used it many times
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Styrafoam...

It's summer and hot all over in the Lower 48. I use wax boxes for short transit only and never down to the Lower 48. The moment I can purchase approved airline cartons that are cardboard with Styrafoam inserts, I do.

Duct tape the seams of the interior box. Duct tape the exterior box by banding it tight.

Keep it at 50 lbs. maximum.

If you do not travel with a portable scale, it's time to buy one...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

I use FedEx and also use the wax lined/styrofoam fishboxes as well. FedEx in Anchorage has a freezer as well.

Use a cooler, even if you go over 50lbs it will be cheaper than using Fed-Ex. Newspaper and gel paks will get you to Georgia just fine.
    "Safety does not happen by accident, it's a choice"

This is what I use and its worked like a charm.

Buy one of those larger grey rubbermaid bins with a top to it.
    Buy a cheap sleeping bag.

Stuff the fish in the sleeping bag and stuff the bag in the bin. Duct tape the hell out of it.

Ive kept fish frozen for 2 days this way when I had to wait for a friend to get back to Vancouver because my freezer was completely full!

And I always use the same grey bin now as a suitcase. It saves on weight and gives me tons of space.

I dont remember exactly where the freezers are at the airport but if you ask when you check in, or ask anybody who works there, they will point you in the right direction.

Also, I called the airline on the way back for my first trip in May and it seems cheaper to pack 2 X 50lbs than it was to pack 1 X 100lbs but call your airline to be sure.

If you chose the rubbermaid route, the answer the airline gives you will determine which box to buy.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

yup it get significantly more spendy the more you go over the 50lb mark. I also fly fish home quite a bit.

Dad came up a couple years ago and on his return trip he left with 2 boxes and a duffle....well the two boxes ended up somewhere else, 2 days later they arrived still almost completely frozen, they were just a tad soft. We had used the silver soft insulation you can buy and regular wax boxes.

Also dont tape them up till check in if you can. Between flying deer and turkey meat back here to AK and fish back to Mn, I cant think of a time they havent looked until this past apr, they looked coming up they didnt going south with the fish. Bring a roll of tape with you if you can.... It will also allow you to shuffle weight if you need to in your boxes if one is over.

Another cheapola way to save some money if you're grossly overweight is to priority mail a box home with your cloths. I dont and just suck up the extra fee.

Hey Chuck I thought they put those boxes in the freezers without asking? Good to know if they dont, I've never bothered to ask.

Oh one last tip, if you do have a ton of fish, bring an extra box if you can to check in just in case! depending on your airlines another box maybe cheaper then paying for a 3rd or 4th box that is overweight on top of it!

You didn't use to be allowed to tape prior to having the luggage checked so make sure about that ie bring the tape....

I got this from my Airline site:

Oversize/overweight bags
    Please pay overweight and oversize bag charges at the airport. On top of our checked bag fees, we charge:

• $50 extra for bags that weigh between 51-70 lbs (23-32 kg) if you're in Coach or Economy
    • $100 extra for bags that weigh between 71- 100 lbs (32-45 kg)
    • $100 extra for bags larger than 62 in/157 cm (we will not accept bags over 80 in/203 cm)
    • If you're traveling to/from Brazil, you're allowed 2 checked bags up to 70 lbs (32 kg) free of charge
    • If you're traveling in First or Envoy, you're allowed 2 checked bags up to 70 lbs (32 kg) free of charge

Carry-on baggage
    Size requirements
    You're allowed one carry-on bag and one personal item. Personal items include a purse, briefcase or laptop bag.

• Up to 45 in/115 cm (14 x 9 x 22 in or 36 x 23 x 56 cm)
    • Up to 40 lbs/18 kg

My question is this: Do you think I can even Pack 40lbs in a 14x9x22?

I could send a 50lb Box as my second Bag which would be a $35.00 charge and then a 40lb Carry On, That's 90lbs of Fish roughly for 35.00.

The Third bag would cost me 100.00 so even if I took your advice and put two 50lb Boxes in one Bin, I would get charged 35.00 for second Bag and 100.00 for being over 71lbs. ****'d if I do and ****'d if I don't.

I think you're quoted weights are PER box not TOTAL.

Meaning 1 50lb box is $50 the 2nd is another $50, I'd try and get 70lbs in each of these if you can LOL! That'd be 140lbs in 2 boxes..though I doubt you can get quite that much fish in a50lb box. I did think they started going up after 3 or 4 boxes though the weight may not....

Pack as much as you think you can stuff under the seat in front of you in a back pack. And again in your carry on pack it as full as you can get it! They are pretty lenient with that 'personal' item! Or atleast they have been as of this past apr LOL!

Default $%%^$*

Holy crap. Looks like you need a lawyer and a rocket scientist to advise you on this. That is just crazy. What airline is that? Sorry, I usually fly Alaska (hope that is not Alaska) to go to and from Hawaii and California. Wish I could offer some more advice but with those restrictions looks like your f@#!@% either way. How many pounds of fish do you have? I guess you can look at the positives......

You caught the fish yourself, it's cheaper to ship it than it is to buy in the store and while you were up here you got to pump some money into our Alaskan economy.

Have a great trip back!
    "Safety does not happen by accident, it's a choice"

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    I'd try and get 70lbs in each of these if you can LOL! That'd be 140lbs in 2 boxes..
    Id take this advice right here.

Again, if you do decide to try the rubbermaid+sleeping bag method, you can easily fit 70lbs of fish in the larger bins.

Also, good advice on the taping. I often have tape with me when checking in but they do not allow you to bring duct tape on the plane so you have to shove it in another checked bag afterwards.

IF you do not have tape, they will provide you with some and just let you step to the side while you tape your box.

Thanks guys for all the tips, they have been very helpful. The largest issue I had at first was just how I was going to keep my fish frozen when I arrive in Anchorage from the Drive up from Soldotna around noon and don't fly till 9:45pm, you all helped a TON with the Freezer information.

This is what I am going to attempt to do.

I am going to drop off about 70% of my Sockeyes at Mikes Meats in Eagle River to get smoked and I will have a friend up there send my Smoked Sockeyes back to me via USPS.

That should leave me 30% of my Sockeyes in Frozen Fillets which I will bring back as Carry-On.

As for my Halibut, I'll pack everything up in 50lb increments in Coolers and pay for them as Extra baggage.

If I end up paying 250.00 for shipping home 100+LBS of Halibut, So be it! The way I see it is this... 100lbs of Halibut is about $1,600.00 worth of Fish on the Market down here in Georgia!

Thanks for the Advice again

So lets see, if I have TWO Additional Baggage...

One would count as my second since my Luggage is #1, so #2 Bag costs 35.00 + $50 extra for bags that weigh between 51-70 lbs

Then My Second Bin would be my #3 Bag which costs $100 + $50.00 Extra for bags that weigh between 51-70lbs.

So, I can bring back 140lbs of Halibut for roughly $235.00.

I would bring my Salmon that I don't plan on getting smoked back as my Carry-On.

You know, this is going to work.

So, total cost after I buy the Boxes, Bins and Sleeping Bags will be probably right at $300.00 right?

Quote Originally Posted by Rgrwalker View Post
    One would count as my second since my Luggage is #1, so #2 Bag costs 35.00 + $50 extra for bags that weigh between 51-70 lbs

Then My Second Bin would be my #3 Bag which costs $100 + $50.00 Extra for bags that weigh between 51-70lbs.
    They are really charging you a lot. $100 for a 3rd bag??

If I were you, I would speak with a Cust. serv. rep and find out what the cheapest combination would be.

If I remember correctly, I paid $15 for the first, $25 for the second, then maybe $50 for the 3rd but Im not sure.

Speak to a rep. They will tell you the cheapest way.

Another thing I have heard of is guys paying a little extra to fly first class and getting the extra bags shipped free.
    One fellow I heard about spent an extra $100 to fly first class and instead of paying $50 each for his 3 boxes of fish they waived his baggage fee.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

My wife and I fly Continental. We both got their Chase credit card, they waive the first and second bag fee if you have their card. We pack one big bag to check and carry on the rest of our luggage. This leaves us 3 #50 fish boxes to fly free. If we do really well, we ship our clothes home usps slow boat to china, and take a 4th box with us on the plane. Works great, I like the fish boxes cause they are a ton lighter than coolers are.

good luck

If at all possible, box the fish like you are going to ship it and throw all of that into a walk in freezer at least overnight. By chilling the airspace inside the cardboard, styrofoam, and the air inside, it will buy you an additional day of staying frozen while you travel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast