Thread: Cascade Bay on Prince William Sound

Default Cascade Bay on Prince William Sound

This past weekend we visited Cascade Bay so named for the largest waterfall on Prince William Sound. It is indeed an impressive fall that dumps directly into the tide waters of the bay. However the fall was difficult to photograph and can only be approached by water with the closest opposing shoreline being half a mile or so across the bay. I was not satisfied with any of the shots I took of the fall. But later in the day after we found a spot to anchor our boat a little ways down the bay, we went ashore and found an interesting little creek. Overall it was a good day.

Cascade Falls The yacht(about a 50 footer) is included in the picture to give some perspective on the size of the falls. And no, that's not our boat...

And here is the little gem of a creek we found a little ways down the bay. It was fairly well hidden by thick alder bushes along the banks. Unfortunately as we all know alder lined creeks are a favorite haunt of brownies this time of year. I did have my own personal favorite "bear repellent" with me and kept singing/talking/hollering while I was taking pictures.

Here's a shot taken from just above tideline where the creek drains into the bay.

My personal favorite of the trip.

Any farther than this would have required getting out in the bushes for a ways which I wasn't about to do.

One could easily have spent hours wandering further upstream until you reached a spot where the creek tumbled near verticle for 200-300 feet down the side of a cliff. I lacked the personal courage to do so in light of the high liklihood of running into the local residents somewhere along the way.
    I guess the photographic moral of this story is "keep your eyes and mind open". The best photo to be had may not be the one you were looking for.
    My photo galleries: Northern Focus Photography

Love that spot--that cascade it truly impressive.
    Nice "painted" water shots as well. Use an ND filter for those?

Quote Originally Posted by akpfeiff View Post
    Love that spot--that cascade it truly impressive.
    Nice "painted" water shots as well. Use an ND filter for those?
    Actually I messed up and left the ND home. But I did have a polarizer with me so stuck that on there which bought me a stop and a half. I needed the ND though as I didn't get the shutter as slow as I wanted. I didn't think about it at the time but I should have just removed the filter. I've had the best shots at 1/5 to 1/8 or at 5 seconds or more. These were 1/2 to 1s which is betwitx and between.
    My photo galleries: Northern Focus Photography