Thread: basic chainsaw mill

Talking basic chainsaw mill

I made this from stuff laying around the yard. Cost $0
    It works but I think If I got a ripping chain It would work a lot better. I ended up removing the side brace beacuase I just didnt need it. And I took out the piece of allthread and moved the hunge up the hole closer to the chain. The small pipe on the hinge is a cutup jackhandle with a nut welded on the left side and cutoff bolt inserted and welded on the right side. and black pipe is from a 3/4 inch water heater downrod extension. I also added 2 small slices about 3/4 inch wide on both sides of the hinge and tapped set screws in them so I can adjust and lock in the offset of the saw. Only about 4 inches though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Talking 2 more pics

Its not easy though I broke a sweat on a 10ft rotten log I tried it on lol.

Default Go Ripping Chain

That's some nice work there, Looks really stout

I did a lot of that with one of those 2x4 guide types that you could buy way back when. It wasn't as well made as yours though.

The key really is the ripping chain as you already know. and taking your time also, not as much sweat.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Default sawmill

Heres what I ended up with in the end. Im also going to make a slabber that bolts into the same holes on bar.

Talking the results

Its 20" round X 20 ft long. Im going to make it into 8x8 or 6x8. My first try It was pretty easy You can only go as fast as the saw. Its pretty rough but I know why so the next on will be better.

If you're using a standard chain then a ripping chain will make a huge difference in both the cut speed and the finish of the cut. You can resharpen the regular chain to a 10 degree angle and it'll make a pretty good improvement too, not as good as a ripping chain but still better than a standard chain. Both Granberg and Logosol both have information on their websites about changing the angle on a regular chain and you can get ripping chain from both of them. I believe Granberg sells the chain in bulk so you can make your own too. Your mill looks good and you sure can't beat that price. Nice job.