Thread: Whittier hike for deer

Default Whittier hike for deer

What are the chances of walking out of Whittier away from tunnel toward PWS and finding deer? Anyone tried this? I don't have an ocean boat and had heard it may be doable.

Any info on this would be appreciated.

16 years ago,when you could only go over on a train,we were anchored in shot gun cove and woke to see a few deer on the beach.Took the raft to shore and scored a buck and two does.Those poor deer had twelve foot of snow that year on the bank!Those were the closest deer I have ever seen.Have seen tracks though picking berries above town,but very few.They must be there with all the sightings around anchorage and a few near portage a few years ago.(f&g took care of that though,not a sighting since that year)

Good info. Thanks. I am always on the cheap and would like to find a hunt that does not require a major safari. I have been to Kodiak once, Zachar Bay, but can't swing that every year.

Maybe try looking for a transporter to take you out somewhere in the sound.

If I were to venture a guess as to your chances of success, I would put them at less than 5%. If you're willing to put in some miles exploring new country while carrying your rifle and are able to come away completely happy without crossing a track, give 'er a shot. I've found some great surprises by doing just that, but understand that you're highly likely to come home without so much as seeing sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotton View Post
    f&g took care of that though,not a sighting since that year)

You think F&G did some deer killing in south central?

Well there were alot of sightings around town and even posted pics in the daily news.Then all the sudden you didn't hear anything about them again.There wasn't much snow those winters so you know they would of made it through.Just figured they didn't want a invasive species,I bet they would thrive in the kinik river flats.

Well there were alot of sightings around town and even posted pics in the daily news.Then all the sudden you didn't hear anything about them again.There wasn't much snow those winters so you know they would of made it through.Just figured they didn't want a invasive species,I bet they would thrive in the kinik river flats.
    It was determined that it was almost certainly just a single deer that made it over from the Whittier side. I wouldn't call that a sure sign that there are lots around that area.

They took a pic of a doe at portage,and another doe by the airport in town and in the report the seen a buck near there to and there was a seprate report of a longtime hunter seeing a nice buck cross the road behind potters marsh and he said he got a good look at him and it was a black tail.I wonder if it would be possible to find those adn write ups,it was no more than five years ago if I remember right?

They took a pic of a doe at portage,and another doe by the airport in town and in the report the seen a buck near there to and there was a seprate report of a longtime hunter seeing a nice buck cross the road behind potters marsh and he said he got a good look at him and it was a black tail.I wonder if it would be possible to find those adn write ups,it was no more than five years ago if I remember right?
    You could be right there. I found an article about the 6-point buck on Potter Valley Road. What I was remembering was a doe that was seen multiple times over a week or two span.

I saw a doe with two fawns cross the road near Williwa Creek campground 7 or 8 years ago. It was during the same time frame that the deer were seen around Kincaid Park and the buck along Potter Valley road.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.