Thread: mounting seats in an aluminum skiff

Default mounting seats in an aluminum skiff

I want to mount some plastic bases/swivel seats (with qwik releases) in an aluminum skiff with aluminum bench seats (underfilled with floatation)
    so I really can't get under them to

is there some kind of method for these similar to expansion screws for drywall?

I'm guessing the other option is removing the benches and reriveting

is there some other method??

I know I bought some for my jon boat down at a great hardware/general store in Soldotna (right on the highway), anybody have any suggestions for other places to buy them here in Anchorage?

Looks like this is going to be my winter project to get on the Kenai NEXT year

I bought a rail type mount for mine. The rail runs the length of the bench with roughly 2 inches on the top of the bench and two inches on the front side. It is like a corner molding. Then I have two aluminum plates that the seats bolt too. The plates slip into the rail and hold the seats. All you have to do to put on/remove the seats is lift them to a 90 degree angle in the rail. It is super simple and the rail takes up no space, so when you take the seats off you can stand, walk and fish off of the bench without stepping over anything. I hope this description is somewhat clear. I bought the system at Compeaus in Fairbanks. The price was better than any flush mounting systems I could find on line and so easy to install.

Quote Originally Posted by gottago View Post

is there some kind of method for these similar to expansion screws for drywall?
    I sure wouldn't do it unless you replaced the core screws with stainless. I'd be more inclined to cut a piece of 1/2" ply to the size of the seat, top with carpet if you want, then use stainless flathead machine screws head-down and threads up, attaching with stainless lock washers and nuts. How you mounted the ply onto the top of the seats would depend on the other details of the boat and your need for neat.

Typical swivel seat bases need a #14 countersunk head screw. I used # 14 x 1 1/4" SS oval head sheet metal screws. To sink the center post tube will require a 1 3/4" hole saw if you use a standard swivel base. You said quick release so yours may be flat bottomed. For my needs the sheet metal screws are holding just fine in the stock flotation box with no backing.

I just mounted a round pedestal base to my G3 jet skiff seat.
    I used a angle grinder with a cutoff wheel to cut a rectangular hole in the front face of the foam filled aluminum seat 6" x 4" and dug the foam out.

There is 3/4 plywood under the aluminum but above the foam. I drilled 1/4 holes in the seat base pattern and through bolted with stainless 1/4-20 hardware and fender washers. Then just get 2 part marine foam to refill the hole and then Tig a patch over the hole. I dont even think you need repair the hole, as its pretty tough the way it is.