Thread: What is the halibut limit in SE?

Default What is the halibut limit in SE?

Hello All,

I have some family coming to town (Juneau) this week, and I'd like to arrange a charter for them to go out fishing while I'm at work. Does anybody know if the limit for non-residents aboard a charter this year is one or two fish? I know it's two if I take them, but I'll be at work until late so I think their odds are better fishing a charter during the week.

Thanks,

ONE for Charter Ops

Sorry

Default Two, sort of.......

The halibut limit in SE Alaska is two fish per person per day. No size limit. However, only one of those halibut can be landed on a charter fishing boat........

So if you're on a charter, the limit is one. If you're on your own, the limit is two. Concievably, you could catch one halibut from a charter boat, and then catch another halibut while fishing on your own (on the same day).

But then, if you could catch one halibut on your own, why take a charter for the other one?

what if your an AK resident? can you still only catch one?
    I Wish i could change my name to Shimano, because i recently started hating Ambassdor Abu_Garcia.

Default Charter Limits

The limits in SE AK for halibut are:

Resident unguided-- 2
    Resident guided-- 1
    non-resident unguided-- 2
    non-resident guided-- 1
    subsistence qualified resident-- 20

can anyone explain the reasoning for only allowing 1 halibut for residents aboard a charter.?!?! just doesnt make since that you can only catch 1 halibut because you choose to take a charter!
    I Wish i could change my name to Shimano, because i recently started hating Ambassdor Abu_Garcia.

It's a complicated and contentious issue.

Personally,I'd like to see the charter fleet buy quota shares from the comercial fleet.

Quote Originally Posted by icook4 View Post

Personally,I'd like to see the charter fleet buy quota shares from the comercial fleet.
    So the commercial fleet owns the fish?

Quote Originally Posted by Abu_Garcia View Post
    can anyone explain the reasoning for only allowing 1 halibut for residents aboard a charter.?!?! just doesnt make since that you can only catch 1 halibut because you choose to take a charter!
    It's bogus that one guys sport fishing licenses allows him 1 halibut, and another guys sportfishing license allows him 2 halibut.

Quote Originally Posted by icook4 View Post

why is that? how bout we flip it around, how bout commercial should have be limited to 2 fish per resident.
    Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    It's bogus that one guys sport fishing licenses allows him 1 halibut, and another guys sportfishing license allows him 2 halibut.
    yea it's bogus, whats was the state of AK thinking?

This topic has been discussed thoroughly on this forum (I think) and for sure on the Alaska Fisheries Management forum. All kinds of opinions.