Thread: what make to buy used?

Default what make to buy used?

Hi Guy's , what would you recomend for make and model to ride dirt roads and mild trail rides. Is there any make that stands out above the others or is it just a prefrence? I have no experence riding atv's and would like to have one to get around the property and ice fish on the lake in winter. Thanks in advance, Tom

Thats a very common question. My advice is to buy and automatic. Beyond that there are too many variable, most important being price range.

Wow, I figured this thread would set off another brand war, but apparently people are tired of that.

Like anyone, I have a brand preference but I think so long as you stick with one of the big 6 (Yamaha, Polaris, Honda, Arctic Cat, Suzuki and Can-Am) (If I left out a major mfr I didn't mean to) you're probably going to get a pretty reliable rig. I would recommend you get a 500 or bigger engine, independent suspension, 4WD, power steering (it's worth it!) and automatic. One that has engine braking is nice, and diff lock is a plus. I do consider weight of the machine also, as you can see a 200 lb variance in weights of the Big Bore machines between manufacturers. If you check out the ATV magazine web sites, they do an annual review of each machine and they grade them. I would think you could access that without a subscription.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Sounds a bit like me. Here are my thoughts. I am looking for a good cheap machine for ice fishing, hauling freight to the cabin and boondocking on my personal property for firewood. I currently use a 1988 Honda 350 but it is old and weak. I won't be going over 25 MPH so I don't need a big machine. I need low gearing to pull a load. I prefer all wheel drive when locked down. I don't want to have to feed it too much fuel. Light is better!

There are many machines that will work. If you have a bad back look at independent rear suspension.

Honda 400 Fourtrax.
    Mid-90s Yamaha Kodiak 400
    Honda Rancher

Polaris machines tend to be heavy.

Mike

I'm going to have 12 new used Yamaha 350 grizzlys for sale in Aug with factory warranty so I'll say Yamaha for my choice
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I'm going to have 12 new used Yamaha 350 grizzlys for sale in Aug with factory warranty so I'll say Yamaha for my choice
    What's your going rate for one of those 350s?

$4200 All bought new this May ,You can buy and extended warranty all will have about 400-800 miles on them ,They have Diff lock and IRS some are 09's most are 2010 but all are new from dealers
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!