Thread: Finding a qualified operator

Default Finding a qualified operator

Can anyone offer advice for an Alaska outsider (such as myself) in finding a qualified and experienced air (float) service for a half day trip from Anchorage out to Twin Lakes for some site seeing?

Thanks,

Tom

When do you want to go.....? How many (humans) souls onboard.....?

Trail Ridge Air. Regal Air. They're next door to each other at Lake Hood. Both are first class operations.

Anyone familiar with Alaska West Air?

We have 3 people who would like to fly out to Twin Lakes and visit Dick Proenecke's cabin. And anything else of interest along the way. Considering sometime week of Aug 22-28 if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by TBinKC View Post
    Considering sometime week of Aug 22-28 if possible.
    Not going to be easy to arrange in the near peak of the hunting season, most operators will be booked.

Anyone familiar with Alaska West Air?

We have 3 people who would like to fly out to Twin Lakes and visit Dick Proenecke's cabin. And anything else of interest along the way. Considering sometime week of Aug 22-28 if possible.

Alaska West Air is a great company. My Brother and Father have used them on a few trips in the past. One was a drop off float trip and the others were drop off land hunting trips.

I hunted out west two years ago and ran into Doug on one of the lakes we considered for our camp. They have nice aircraft and well qualified pilots.

Can anyone offer advice for an Alaska outsider (such as myself) in finding a qualified and experienced air (float) service for a half day trip from Anchorage out to Twin Lakes for some site seeing?

Thanks,

Tom
    Try Rust's Flying Service www.flyrusts.com out of Lake Hood in Anchorage. I flew for them during the last 7 years of my 33 year Alaska flying career until I retired two years ago. The six full-time pilots who are flying for them now have all been flying for Rust's for ten years or more. One of them has been there for 25 years. Dan the chief pilot is a wizard with a float plane. Paul, Scott, Bruce, Mark and John all have tens of thousands of hours on floats and are some of the best float plane pilots in Alaska. They have all been into Twin Lakes dozens of times.

One other thing...you might consider making it more than a half a day trip. Twin Lakes in the west edge of the Alaska Range several miles north of Lake Clark, is a fair distance from Anchorage and probably about 1:45 flight time if you go through Lake Clark Pass to get there. Turquoise Lake is in the same area and well worth the stop before you arrive at Twin Lakes

Lake Clark Air. As mentioned, you should think about staying a little longer in the area, a flight into Port Alsworth, some nice hiking there, and a float ride out to Twin Lakes would be a great trip. The area is so vast half a day would be pretty quick in and out.