Thread: What's a way to snowshoe without hurting knees?

Question What's a way to snowshoe without hurting knees?

Seems every spring after snowshoeing all winter my knees are shot. Other than using trekking poles, what are other helpful hints to keep the knees happy? Thanks!

My knees feel great because I use a specially made snowshoe from Arctic Cat. There are similar ones available from other manufacturers though. It is great and lets me cover lots of ground in the winter. Mine even has a special feature that keeps my hands warm!!

My wife swears by the let someone else break trail method.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

a warm wood stove

um....yeah.......

Try taking a supplement like Pain Free. Glucosamine based products can assist with joint pain. You might also look at some sort of strengthing exercises. I was having knee pain a long time ago and the muscle groups around my knees were out of balance. I climbed a lot of ladders.

You might also look at the possibility of something in your diet. Coffee makes me ache all over anymore if I drink too much.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    a warm wood stove
    I still want a hot tub at the cabin. I found a guy nearby that has one. I need to ask him how he does it.

This is a little off topic maybe, but have you ever tried cross country skis instead of snowshoes? Given a choice, Id rather ski anyday. You can ski in really deep snow with less effort than showshoeing alot of times and less knee impact..I use shorter skis for better control when in the woods, or longer ones if I'm going to be in the open...

If you snowshoe in really thick brush country you need to have enough snow to stay on top of the brush without snagging your tips all the time..

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    This is a little off topic maybe, but have you ever tried cross country skis instead of snowshoes? Given a choice, Id rather ski anyday. You can ski in really deep snow with less effort than showshoeing alot of times and less knee impact..I use shorter skis for better control when in the woods, or longer ones if I'm going to be in the open...

If you snowshoe in really thick brush country you need to have enough snow to stay on top of the brush without snagging your tips all the time..
    I need to try skiing. Thanks!

I totally agree. Give me a set of Europa 99's vs. snowshoes and I will pick the skis every time. The only time I use snowshoes is for emergencies on the snowmachine or when running a chainsaw.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I would suggest wrapping your knee up in tape, but wrap it like a diamond with the knee cap out. It will give you support for your knees.
    It should look something like this:
    http://www.nucapmedical.com/images/p...t-img-knee.jpg

I would also suggest taking some supplements for knee support. Melaleuca has a Joint Support supplement and Herbalife has a Joint Support as well.
    http://catalog.herbalife.com/targete...ced?start=null

Honestly, the best thing for you to do is to work on your muscle groups around your knees. Leg extensions for quads and hamstrings would probably be the best and even more so, in my experience, it's best to work your calf muscles, too. You can also do squats and build up the weight, but if your knees can't handle it, then I suggest doing the hip sled and having someone spot you on either or both. Don't short yourself of working all of your leg muscles. It will show up on every snowshoe experience you will have.

The most important thing is know your body and your limitations and if you have to stop, stop.
    Every time I get out on snowshoes, I remind myself of my limitations... even if I want to go further.
    Lurker.