Thread: any thoughts on kobuk float hunt for moose, caribou, bear????

Default any thoughts on kobuk float hunt for moose, caribou, bear????

I have been out of kotz, three times now, and was wonderin about a float from kobuk down the kobuk, anyone familiar with that area? or the river and game there . the transporter says 100 mi float trip.... anyone done that, or similar ??? ( not going till 2008,so im trying to hook up the best adverture for my two soninlaws and my brother that lives in wasilla, six of us all told.... any thoughts or suggestions would be welcomed!!! thanks Sincerly James Nichols ,hoping to hunt caribou, moose , bear ect

Thumbs up

Hi JamesinCo, welcome to the forum!

This question gets asked alot. The Kobuk area is fantastic and full of wildlife and world class fishing.

Aside from the responses you might get from your post, I encourage you to check out the vast archives here.
    Click on "old forums" and go to the archives from there.
    Probably several hours of reading and advice about that wonderful part of Alaska.
    I've been to the area and have posted in the past too.

Enjoy!

Frank

Default Bow Hunting

James: Are you looking for a bow hunt? If not we can move this up to Hunting and you will get more replies.

Welcome!

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Your starting at the village of Kobuk? Don't need a transporter to fly there, any air service will do.
    I would suggest you check land ownership along the route, and the legalities of hunting on that land. Also check moose regs, as a non res you need to apply for and get drawn for a moose tag.
    You will have some competition along there with locals, sometimes alot of locals.
    Check bou movements for the last few years at the time of year you want to hunt. You may not be too impressed.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Dave in the bush= 5 bowhunters 1= gun hunter( couldnt convert my older brother!!)

Martentrapper,= the transporter is just the raft rental co, in kobuk, Havent committed yet, so just fact gathering now for using that transporter, would like to talk to someone who has used them or another to float hunt that river, thanks for the input, James in Co

Frank= thanks for the help,, I will chk out the old forms and arckives... James in Co