Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dream comes true!!

Default Dream comes true!!

Well, I guess I need to be pinched, I may be dreaming! I am moving to Alaska in two weeks. I am coming from Arizona, the land of giant elk and desert coues deer. Anyway, I got a funeral directing job in Anchorage. My question is, what do I need to do about my guns? can I transport them through Canada? Will I get searched or questioned? Any advise would be great!

Mail them to yourself or take them on an airplane. You can take long guns through Canada but there is paperwork involved, no handguns for the average Joe to my knowledge.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

You must fill out a Non-Res. Firearms Declaration form. They can be downloaded from the internet. I'm sorry, I don't have the web site address handy. It asks for info on each firearm, such as barrell lenght, serial #, ect. As I understand, some handguns can now be transported across the border, with the proper paperworked filled out. You can not transport handguns of 25 or 30 caliber, though. The declaration cost is $25. do a search of Canadian Gun Registration, and I think you will find all the info you need. Knute

Default Mailing

I've had very good luck following Blackfoot's advice of mailing long guns to yourself - even at "general delivery". Most ofmy mailing has been done from Kodiak but I assume it can be done to Anchorage.

Be sure your guns are packed in good quality, hard-sided gun cases.

Congratulations on moving to Alaska. Be prepared for culture shock - the trees are green in Alaska.

Thank you for the suggestions. I can't wait to get there. I am sure that I am in for some culture shock! Can't wait though! Oh, good forum you guys have here. Very usefull to a guy like me. I think that the reality of how difficult the hunting is has set in. It's not going to be like shooting fish in a barrel. I want to come into the country with both eyes open and not be naive about how things really are. THANKS!!

odd as it may sound to Noo Yahkers, but the Arizona I know and live near has millions of green pines, green cedars, green firs, green oaks, green junipers (both shaggy bark and aligator bark) and many alders, mulberry, aspens, cottenwoods and hundreds of other sources of chlorophyl.
    The real culture shock will likely be in the much colder areas, less population densiity on most areas and the more developed sense of individuality that Alaskans have...in spite of the individuality of rural Arizona.

Smile

The real culture shock may be you are going to a bigger, dirtier, and more crime-ridden city than anything you have in AZ.
    The best thing about Anchorage is it is less than an hour's drive from Alaska.

Be prepared.

At least your business should be good.
    http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/

dude Dont fret it non. I moved here from Arizona as well. When driving thru Canada make sure that you have all your long guns measurments etc.... total length, barrel length, calibre, amke and model.It will make life happy trust me. And congrats on the move.

You have the rednecks in the east, you have the dessert rats in the west, then you have the one's that wear thier CARHARTS til they fall off in the north. No fashion statement's up here. ( I think there is even a contest about the worst looking carharts,lol) (Culture Shock)

Congrats on the move.

(show some pic's guys) lol

As far as the guns go, I would sell them down there and buy what you need when you get here. I know that some gun's have sentimental valve, but if they don't, that might be a better way to go, just a thought.

Default Second Mailing

I second mailing your guns to yourself, I have moved from Alaska to Arizona in the last year and mailed my guns down to myself and it was real easy. Even without my guns I was still searched going into Canada because I have remington sticker on my truck they emptied out my truck and trailer didn't repack anything, accused me of being a drug runner and were overall very rude. I explained to them I had mailed my guns to myself but they insisted I was carrying my firearms. My suggestion remove your gun stickers and mail them to yourself.

Good Luck
    Jake

The town I grew up in In Arizona is 6500 ft. and covered in pines, the elevation got to over 9000 ft near by. There were winters and lots of snow. Lots of elk too! I will miss the elk. I have heard the good and bad about anchorage. I guess I am just going to have to see for myself. I have four kids, that is my biggest worry. They all LOVE to fish. But I don't like the thought of thugs snooping around. The house we are going to lease is kind of by the airport near Lake Hood. Am I screwed? Oh, and I probably will mail my guns to myself, sounds safer. My suburban has lots of stickers though. Has anyone else had this problem about getting checked at the border? I am all for the law doing it's job (I have two bros who are AZ State Troopers), but I don't do well with rudeness.

Default Doood!

yer right in the middle of "Ghettoville" anchorage...

Default Go easy

Oh, go easy on the poor guy, that's not quite ghettoville is it? Isn't that "old town," like right by the lake?
    (goalie you are the best, that is sooo funny) Doood you are sooo screwed....

Not far from the lake tho it's gets pretty weak, you better keep your kids bikes in storage.... or sign a short term lease..... and send the guns early like to be there when you show up......

Naw really You Are Gonna Love Anchorage, those long walks past all those float planes, gorgeous bike paths, the gentle ROAR of WOT engines early at sunrise, just out your window...

Welcome, Have Fun
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Default Anchorage

This will give you some info on Anchorage neighborhoods. Read the disclaimer as well.
    http://crimemap.muni.org/

The area of town you'll be in is fine, though if you'd like a particularly mellow neighborhood for your family, you might want to consider waiting on signing a lease until you're here. Anchorage varies from area to area, and outlying areas such as Eagle River are worth considering as well. If you're already locked in, though, no worries. Your neighborhood will be fine.

Default Kidding

Yeah Outrider, I am just kidding there

I actually think that is a fairly mellow area back in there, those are long term residents with older nice homes. Good Anchorage Stock, if ever there was, living back in by the lake.

man I was born back in there in '60 and my folks were real nice

Your kids could ride their bikes all over. From my experience in there I'd even lease site unseen in the Lake Hood area. Really,
    When I'm traveling through Anchorage now, I'll actually drive all the way across town to go for a walk or bikeride around the Lake Hood area. I love those float planes, and the taking off thing, it's either in my blood or it is such a cool Alaskan thing I bet you'll find yourself going over there just to watch 'em
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Thanks for all the honesty. We have sold almost every earthly possesion we own, so I don't have much that can be stolen. I am not so much worried about my stuff, as much as my kids being bullied by neighborhood punks. But, then again, getting my nose bloody never killed me when i was growing up. HOLY COW, this is going to be nuts! I am going to be using a foundry in Eagle River to cast my sculptures for me. I do wildlife bronzes. Hoping to get into a gallery or two in Anchorage. We'll see!

Quote Originally Posted by bustedknee View Post
    The real culture shock may be you are going to a bigger, dirtier, and more crime-ridden city than anything you have in AZ.
    The best thing about Anchorage is it is less than an hour's drive from Alaska.

Be prepared.

At least your business should be good.
    http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/
    Really? When was the last time you were in Anchorage? Arizona? Have you spent any considerable time in actual cities? Hard to even call Anchorage a city. Its got its problems but your synopsis would only make sense if your experience here was on a bicycle in mountain view.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    The area of town you'll be in is fine, though if you'd like a particularly mellow neighborhood for your family, you might want to consider waiting on signing a lease until you're here. Anchorage varies from area to area, and outlying areas such as Eagle River are worth considering as well. If you're already locked in, though, no worries. Your neighborhood will be fine.
    Second that. Well said. Generally I would never recommend signing a lease until you have at least visited and spent some time driving around. There are much nicer parts of Anchorage. Eagle River is an excellent choice and offers the shortest commute of the outlying communities. Much less bicycle snatching. You will find most of the Anchorage crime that people speak of is theft. Take your time and come up here and look around. Then decide on the best place you can afford for your family.

http://crimemap.muni.org/

Also.... I second the mail your guns theme. I mailed all mine... even the long guns because the border stuff was too sketchy. When I went through Montana a few yrs ago they were tearing apart everyone going north. It was like they were bored or something. If they decided something wasn't right with your long gun paperwork... they would keep it! :-(. Its just easier to not have to worry about it.

Good luck and Welcome. Wish you the best.

Quote Originally Posted by outrider View Post
    Thanks for all the honesty. We have sold almost every earthly possesion we own, so I don't have much that can be stolen. I am not so much worried about my stuff, as much as my kids being bullied by neighborhood punks. But, then again, getting my nose bloody never killed me when i was growing up. HOLY COW, this is going to be nuts! I am going to be using a foundry in Eagle River to cast my sculptures for me. I do wildlife bronzes. Hoping to get into a gallery or two in Anchorage. We'll see!
    Another great reason to move to Eagle River. My wife or I commute to Anchorage every day and find the drive pleasant. There are on average 5 days every winter where we decide to go out to dinner and shopping BEFORE coming home because the Glenn is closed or nearly closed by weather or an accident.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast