Thread: lightweight scope mounts and rings

Default lightweight scope mounts and rings

Do any of you have any suggestions for a good lightweight scope mount and rings for a sheep rifle? Looking at mounting a Leupold on a Browning Mountain Ti.

I personally like Talley rings that mounts are built into the rings. Lightweight and less to go wrong IMO. Simplicity is bliss!!

Ditto's on the talleys, they are my ring/base of choice on my rifles.

Meeee tooooo!

Talley lightweights are nice, but there are other options. Conetrol rings & bases are almost as light and look better to my eyes, not to mention you can mount scopes lower with Conetrol rings, which is a real plus IMO. S&K also produces rings and bases (SKultpured) that are comparable to Talley LWs in weight. Conetrol and S&K are entirely made of steel and are both much sleeker designs. FWIW I have rifles setup with all three styles. Conetrol and S&K are both more money and I can't say they are "better" than Talleys, but I prefer either of them to Talley LWs.

Conetrol
    http://www.conetrol.com/

S&K
    http://www.scopemounts.com/index.html?main.html

Another vote for talley light weights.

Default rings & bases

I really like the Talley's but those Conetrol & S&K look real nice.

Had the Leupold stainless bases & rings on the Monta but they were heavy for a mountain gun and I never was happy with the fit.
    Was thinking about lapping them but tried the Talley one piece lightweights and never looked back.

Something to be said for steel though. Have to keep those in mind for future projects.

I have been using the S&K's for close to 20 years on most of my sheep rifles and really like them. The "one piece" light weight Talley's are nice and I have them on a few rifles. They have worked fine but I personally prefer the look of the S&K to the point that I am willing to pay the significantly higher price.

Default Talleys...

That's what I put on my sheep rifle. They aren't the prettiest for sure, but I can't argue with their simplicity or their price. You can buy the entire Talley setup for not much more than ONE of the Conetrol rings. So my vote goes to Talley as well.

Default who cares what a sheep rifle looks like...

Talley makes great liteweights and I have them on a couple of rifles. My sheep rifles look like they have been put through a meat grinder with nicks, cuts, scratches, and even one has a chunk missing from the stock. Therefore, I really could care less about the asthetics of the scope rings, I just prefer whats practical. The Talley Liteweights cost under $50 and weigh approx 4.5 ozs/pair. Both Conetrol, S&K, and Talley are all MADE IN THE USA! My choice is Talley, and I have bought a few sets from Marshall at www.HuntAmerica.com He provides great customer service too!

Another vote for Talley lightweights... I think I'm the 8th or 9th one so far in this thread. We can't all be wrong! I do not care for the aesethetic looks, but I love them from the practical side. Have used them on four rifles so far I think, including my Kimber Montana.

Agree with Targetman--- you said lightweight, and sheep rifle. That means you need practical, reliable function in a lightweight overall package. The sum of all the parts, that it. It is going to get used and abused during the course of the hunt.

When you still have farther to climb, and your lungs are on fire, and your legs are jelly, and your rilfe feels like a lead club, you can look down at your Talley lightweights and smile knowing they are not the reason your lungs are burning!!!