Thread: Anchor Pt- Saltwater Kings

Default Anchor Pt- Saltwater Kings

Does anyone have any current info if there are any kings being picked up in the salt this week? It was very slow last weekend but the kenai kings should be showing up.

Charterboat Operator

I would say dont waste your time, but any time in the boat shouldn't be considered wasted. only heard of a couple "hooked" and lost, lots of time invested though. hopefully they will show!

Default Any Day

The "second run" fish should be showing up any day, but so far it's been pretty slow since mid June. I'd guess they are late like the first run was. Keep in mind they have an EO extending the no fish zone limits from the mouth of the Anchor River through the month of July to protect any fish bound for the Anchor which is below it's escapement goal by 1400 fish at last count. The extended restriction will make it a little harder to catch kings, but they will all be coming up the shoreline, and can be intercepted elsewhere.
    Anchor River Lodge

Default anyone ever have any guilt....?

i mean seriously, we all know that the king run in the kenai is hurting, and the big kings caught off of the anchor/stariski/deep creek area are almost certainly bound for the kenai.
    would this not be a good time for anglers to voluntarily step up to the plate and QUIT FISHING THE KENAI KINGS as a show of sportsmen led conservation?
    if F&G won't stop the fishing why don't we do it ourselves?
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    would this not be a good time for anglers to voluntarily step up to the plate and QUIT FISHING THE KENAI KINGS
    It would indeed. I had visitors this past week. They fished the lower Kenai for two days and got skunked. They told their guide they were fishing K-Bay the next 3-4 days. He told them to "get me to troll the beach" and they would likely hook up. I didn't do it, and explained about the "greed factor". It didn't set well with them but at the end of the day they caught some real nice halibut and forgot about it. A lot of people have an attitude that "my one fish won't matter". They all matter.

I agree- they all matter. My opinion, and one I have expressed to ADF&G is that the Kenai should be closed or made C&R and the saltwater should be closed as well. I have not fished kings since early June. Of course if they close sportfishing, ADF&G would have to do something about commercial fishing. I looked a few minutes ago and the commercial king catch as of 7/6 is over 3000 kings. I would guess that will beat all sportfishing harvest Cook Inlet wide by a lot.

Default Kenai kings

I have to agree. I think it should be catch and release on the Kenai river. I know several seasoned guides who have been skunked the last few days. The kings need a break. I also think they need to quit fishing above Moose river for King salmon. You Homer guys have the right idea and its too bad Fish and Game does not. They are so influenced by the river guides and the Lodge and Hotel owners in Soldotna.

They should shut down all Kings in the salt in Cook Inlet as well. We need EVERY king in the gravel we can get where ever they may be headed. even if they are not going to spawn this year we need them next year or the year after in the gravel not in a freezer. Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    even if they are not going to spawn this year
    if they are here and not spawners, they are feeders. the vast majority of the tagged feeder kings are hatchery fish from BC. no reason not to put them in the freezer.
    i worked specifically on tag recovery in the KS fishery for AKF&G for more than 5 years, and we NEVER recovered a tag from a "feeder" king of alaskan stock.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Homerdave i stand corrected!

Default Nearly 80% of Kings caught

Nearly 80% of kings returning to waters in Alaska are caught in gill nets. So before we close any thing lets look at the big picture. All you see is whats on the end of your fishing pole. There's a reason theres no kings coming back to the rivers.

ADFG counter says the Kenai is on record pace with over 1600 counted yesterday. I personally believe there are plenty of kings in the river, they are not biting for some reason though. The reason I say there are fish in the river, is that there was a good bite on Monday and appeared things may be turning around for the season, just to find out the last 3 days have produced almost no harvest from the guide fleet. The only difference between Monday and the other days, was that it was a nice sunny day.

Don't expect there ever to be a beach fishery off Ninilchik south anymore for Kenai Kings. The last 30 years of set netting the big boys has selected the beach runners from the gene pool.