Thread: Hauling Side by Sides

Default Hauling Side by Sides

First, for those of you that know my wife, please don't take this post as any indication I'm planning on purchasing any new toys

After spending the weekend at Eureka and seeing how many folks out there have side by sides, I can't help but think we'd enjoy our family outings a lot more if we had a couple. I know our kids would be a lot more comfortable.

The problem I have is we typically go out on weekend trips with our Keystone Raptor 5th wheel. I've done some research, and it appears that even 2 of the Polaris RZRs (which seem to have the smallest dimensions) wouldn't fit in my toy hauler. Are there any of you out there in similar situation that have thought up some genius method of fitting two RZRs in a 8x12 toy hauler? (A long shot I know).

I've even contemplated hooking up my sled trailer behind the 5th wheel but that would be a train I could probably only take very few places...

Default Your wife called

She called about an hour ago and said to forget about asking peoples thoughts about this, just go ahead and buy a couple RZR's and you could figure it out on your own!
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

Maybe a four seater RZR?

Lowe & Slow - You obviously don't know my wife

Rich - I put serious thought into the RZR 4, until my wife made it very clear that I would be the one riding passenger if we went that route....I couldn't have that!

Default How many in the family?

You can buy a Ranger and put an after market roll cage and seats in the back of the bed and be able to ride 5 people. I believe a Ranger XP would fit in an 8X12 space.

I'm sure I will offend those that have Rzrs but unless you like sitting in the mud and water I would not get a rzr. Yes, they can have 12+ inches of clearance but your butt is still sitting on the floor boards. Whereas with a Ranger or other sideXside your sitting at least 6-9 inches above the floor boards. I would compare sitting in a rzr vs. ranger to sitting in a corvette or other sports car to sitting in a truck.

Nice buildup thread with lots of pictures.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=880366

Be careful on the door height for getting a sidexside in the toy hauler or enclosed trailer. If I had bought a standard size trailer my ranger would have been too tall to drive in. Not real familiar with the toy hauler dimensions so check it out before you decide which toy to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    You can buy a Ranger and put an after market roll cage and seats in the back of the bed and be able to ride 5 people. I believe a Ranger XP would fit in an 8X12 space.

I'm sure I will offend those that have Rzrs but unless you like sitting in the mud and water I would not get a rzr. Yes, they can have 12+ inches of clearance but your butt is still sitting on the floor boards. Whereas with a Ranger or other sideXside your sitting at least 6-9 inches above the floor boards. I would compare sitting in a rzr vs. ranger to sitting in a corvette or other sports car to sitting in a truck.
    I personally would prefer a Ranger but I was trying to find a way to fit two side-by-sides in my trailer and the RZR is the only one that even comes close. Plus, my wife wouldn't be content with just riding passenger...

Quote Originally Posted by Superx View Post

Nice buildup thread with lots of pictures.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=880366
    That is very awesome. Not something I'm even remotely prepared to do, but awesome nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Be careful on the door height for getting a sidexside in the toy hauler or enclosed trailer. If I had bought a standard size trailer my ranger would have been too tall to drive in. Not real familiar with the toy hauler dimensions so check it out before you decide which toy to buy.
    Yeah I have a buddy that got bitten by that with his enclosed trailer. He just takes the roll cage off everytime he transports his Ranger. I do believe his ranger had a substantial lift on it though.

Anyway, I know the floor to ceiling height at the door should be more than enough for any side-by-side. Although I do have some overhead cabinets I might need to sacrifice if I went with something like a Ranger or RZR 4.

I had the same problem a couple years ago. I got rid of the Raptor, bought a Class C and tow the toys on a 4-place trailer.