Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BOG Proposal #191

Thumbs down BOG Proposal #191, No Motorized Vehicle Use!

Hunters be aware of Proposal # 191. In a nut shell, if it passes, "No Motorized Vehicle Use" in Unit 13 for Moose or Caribou hunting!! The word "subsistence" refers to General Season Hunting that is closed to non-residents too! So, if you hunt in Unit 13 for General Season Moose, you better plan on going to the Board of Game this March to voice your opinion during the public testimony section! Don't let this proposal pass, other unit closures will follow!
    Last edited by MooseCall; 01-29-2007 at 17:17. Reason: Title Change

Moosecall,

I'm reading and rereading the proposal but am not understanding how "subsistance" refers to "general season".....please enlighten me....
    Thanks.....Vern

Are you absolutely sure that this applies to the general season moose hunt? There is a Tier II moose hunt in the Nelchina Basin - I think that's what this is referring to. I'm pretty sure the idea is to make it so hard to hunt the Tier II hunts that fewer people will apply, thereby opening up enough of a harvestable surplus to implement a drawing hunt for caribou in this area. As a Tier II permit holder this past year, I would be fine with this. I don't support the proposal, but I would still be happy to hunt Unit 13 caribou on foot.

-Brian

Default "Subsistence" does mean General if Closed to Non-Res!

Hi all,

Trust me, the word "Subsistence" does refer to General Season Moose hunt in GMU 13! When a season is CLOSED to NON-RESIDENTS, then that season is classified as a Tier I hunt, though it is a general season hunt. Don't get this confused with a Tier II hunt.

Don't believe me, call Fish & Game and ask someone who knows about the proposal!

BM how did you pull a teir II tag anyway?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Answered the questions honestly - lived in Alaska all of my 28 years, and have a picture of me in our Cushman trackster behind Eureka as a 3-month old infant. It was the first time I recieved a Tier II tag in quite a few years.

-Brian

ya i've been here 28 years as well, but i didn't get to unit 13 till i was 8, been hunting there ever since minus 5 years out in mcgrath...no tags for me, not even sure i qualify.
    Master guide 212

I grew up in Delta and Fairbanks. Got a drawing permit for unit 13 in the late 80's and got my first caribou. Went once when they switched to registration permits and picked up another caribou. I live in Anchorage now and don't think I really qualify but I applied last spring and did not get one. I did end up going off the Denali bear hunting and was very surprised at the number of hunters from Anchorage that did get tags.

None of this has anything to do with the post but I find it curious who does and who does not get approved for tier 2 tags. Its almost like a drawing permit.

Default Items of Concern, Motorized Vehicle use in GMU 13!

To stress the issue, if this proposal passes, all of us that hunt moose or caribou in GMU 13 will be doing it by foot or going to a different GMU! General Season Moose (which when closed to non-residents is classified as Tier I in the Alaska Statues) and Tier II Caribou both!

The Tier II system is of much concern for many. Ahtna Native Corp. would rather none of us hunt in Unit 13. Many wonder why subsistence includes RV's, ATV's, etc.

The point is, what the board hears for public tesimony about the issues has been pretty much one sided by Ahtna. It is time for Hunters to come together and be one voice. Read Proposal # 191 and understand that it means ALL moose and caribou hunting in GMU 13, not just Tier II!

Default Proposal 117

The Ahtna want to eliminate the General harvest season in Unit 13 altogether and (proposal 192) reaquires the harvest of head, kidneys, hide, and heart. Seems like the Ahtna have it in for anyone hunting near "their" land.

Tim

alot of the proposals are put in as selfish wants from small people groups and not proposed as a way of helping managment at all. i think this is one.
    Master guide 212

Default 191

#191 does seem to be a bad proposal. The only benefit to 191 I can see would be what BM said. If the closure to motorized vehicles corresponded to increase in hunting opportunities such as letting more residents hunt the Nelchina herd through general season or registration. But this motive is not mentioned in the proposal so it appears to be just an attempt to decrease hunting opportunity.

I read somewhere that ADFG ideally wants the Nelchina herd near 80,000. Wouldn’t it be cool if the herd was that large with possibly some combination of season or access restrictions there could be a general season again? It just seems a shame that such an accessible and large herd would only be managed for subsistence when probably it is the primary herd for sport hunting historically.
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

whatever happened to registration hunts....everyone seems to skip right over them, but i think they are a great tool to be used, very effectivly.
    Master guide 212

I agree with you BRWNBR, registration hunts work well. They used them in the past for unit 13 caribou and had no problems. The herd was strong and most people were happy. I do not understand why they went to the Tier 2 system.

Tier 2 is goverened by specific state regs. An area CANNOT go into tier 2 unless certain conditions spelled out in law are met. Similiarly, the same area CANNOT go out of tier 2 until those conditions no longer apply. The variables come from who is determining whether or not certain conditions have been met, either way.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I hunt unit 13 on foot as it is. What concerns me is proposal 115. I find it odd that unit 13 is tier I and II for moose in the first place, but can't find whether or not this is actually illegal or not. What are the rules that govern tier I and II or where can I find them. If worst comes to worst I can always hunt in a different unit if 13 does go tier II only.

Check out Alaska Statue 16.05.258 for information concerning Subsistence use and allocation of fish and game. It is long reading!

http://www.touchngo.com/lglcntr/akst.../Chapter05.htm

It also ties in with Alaska Administrative Code, 5 AAC 99.025, Customary and traditional uses of game.

http://www.touchngo.com/lglcntr/akst...section025.htm

In a nut shell, things like; the number of game, the number of people hunting, harvest levels, geographics locations, etc. are all items that play a part of the big decisions!

Proposal 191 is clearly discussing the subsistence hunts and not the general season. That being the case, is there something wrong with eliminating motorized vehicles from a "customary and traditional" hunt? I don't think so.

I'm having trouble find the definition of a tier I hunt, but it appears that it is generally accepted that if a hunt is closed to residents only, but doesn't require a permit, registration or draw tag then it is a tier I hunt. If this is the case, then all of unit 13 s subsistence, tier I or II, with no actual general season.

chris, you can't find the definition (tier I) because there isn't one. The different types of hunts are defined on pages 11 and 12 of the hunting regs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast