Thread: Using dog for blood tracking

Default Using dog for blood tracking

I POSTED THIS IN A THREAD OF DIFFERENT TOPIC BUT THOUGHT WOULD PUT IT IN IT'S OWN THREAD.

people either forget or don't know that it is legal to use a single leashed dog to track wounded animals in Alaska.
    page 19 of 2010-2011 regs-
    Big game animals MAY NOT be taken by following methods:
    "...Hunting big game with the aid or use of a dog, EXCEPT
    dogs may be used to hunt black bears under a nontransferable
    permit, issued to an individual who qualifies under the permit
    conditions established in 5 AAC 92.068; and a single, leashed
    dog may be used in conjunction with tracking and dispatching
    a wounded big game animal..
    ." (under lining added).

there is an organization that does this: Alaska Game Search
    http://akgamesearch.org/
    i am not associated with this organization.
    you have to have F & G , Fish and Wildlife protection or Troopers contact them for you.

Even 24 hrs later , or more dogs can locate downed animals. but sooner the better. People tend to stomp all over area first and that can make it tough for the dog to sort things out.
    i know i would like the experience for myself and my dog. as i doubt they get many calls. as with many things, more experience a dog and handler get the better they become.
    I have trained my dog
    alittle and wound be willing to try and help. as i hate to think an animal is not recovered.
    When i retire and have the time to train it properly. i plan to get a specific dog for that. 394-1996

good reading- http://www.born-to-track.com/legalities-today.htm
    John has written an excellent book on the topic of tracking. i was lucky enough to have trained with him a few years ago and was with him when his dog recovered the deer on the cover of the second addition of his book.

organization for locating tracking dogs and info- I am a member of this organization. http://www.unitedbloodtrackers.org/
    I may have even taken the picture on the banner of this web site (3rd pix from left)

hope this info is helpful to some folks

Pat

RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

I have used my dog a few times. I have a black bear permit, same permit it sounds like allows you to track big game. She has an amazing nose. I have never trained her. She does good till the blood dries up. Then I think she would shine off leash, but only legal for black bears. Even then I have not cut her loose, just because she is so fast the then end up in the thick green stuff where I hunt. Very cool to watch her nose, I have learned to watch it. Once I learned her way she will lead me over the smallest amount of blood. Every now and then she has gotten mixed up. Go back a few steps and bam, back on it. Both times I used her, once for moose and once for bear. She tracked them till the blood stopped, hours worth. Just awesome. This breed is good up to 48 hours late on blood trails. Other than that in black bear permit area I hunt she is off leash running and looking for bears. Remember though, not legal during any other big game season, like moose.

Thumbs up Tracking...

Having a dog that can track is an invaluable asset. I've been called a few times by local folks that know what my dog can do. She loves to track and I've been very impressed with her blood trailing or air scenting. Here she's hamming it up and was so proud of her find!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Trap, why the white out on the face? Ashamed of the dog?
    Hahahaha!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Hey Trap, why the white out on the face? Ashamed of the dog?
    Hahahaha!
    I didn't get her permission to put the photo on here.