Thread: Top things that are a must do in Fairbanks

Question Top things that are a must do in Fairbanks

What are the top things to do and see in the Fairbanks area? Looking to be up there hopefully by early summer...

First thing to do is eat at Seoul Gate under the bowling alley, then go have your pic taken standing next to the pipeline, third thing to do is go visit the refinery in North Pole to see just how easy and inexpensive it is to refine gasoline out of crude.

Ever seen a supercomputer? Go to the Supercomputing Center at UAF and get a tour. Mindboggling.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

The Riverboat Discovery, The Museum of the North, the Yukon Quest office, the Morris Thompson Cultural Center.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Default so much to do/see

These are things my family enjoys most in the Fairbanks Area:

Summer: canoeing/boating/fishing the Chena, Salcha and/or Chatanika Rivers; soak at Chena Hot Springs; BBQ at Chena Lakes beach; summer solstice festival downtown; outdoor baseball; hike at Angel Rocks; berry picking; Tanana Valley State Fair

Winter: snowmaching; view Northern lights; soak at Chena Hot Springs; watch college hockey; XC skiing; Ice Park (in March); New Years fireworks; ice fishing on Tanana (burbot) or area lakes

I agree that there is too much to see and do in Fairbanks in one or two days.
    The ones I enjoy the most are Gambardellas, the Pipeline towards Fox, The Knotty Shop in Salcha, Museum of the North at UAF, and visit the Farmers Market on College Road if you have a chance.
    Lurker.

Thanks for all of the great ideas! My husband and I are relocating to Ft Wainwright in Feb 2011 from GA (from one extreme to the other). I am a born and bred southern belle from FL; I am starting to stock pile cold weather clothing and making quilts like a fiend. I am very excited about the move but I have to admit I am a little overwhelmed, I have been researching Alaska through travel guides and internet sites but honestly Ice Road Truckers and Northern Exposure have been the most notable influence LOL. Do you all really plug in your cars? I have also come to the realization that being warm far outweighs the need for fashion (much to my husbands happiness- no more cute shoes at least till summer!) Enough of my ramble- any comments are always welcome! I have to admit that the possiblity of seeing moose in my front yard is very exciting!

You only need to plug your car in from September to May. And summer was on a Friday last time I lived there.

.... ;-)
    Honestly, one of the best places to live in Alaska, if not the best in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    Honestly, one of the best places to live in Alaska, if not the best in my opinion.
    No love for Eagle River?