Thread: Any "SPOT" users in the Susitna drainage?

Default Any "SPOT" users in the Susitna drainage?

I recently invested in a "SPOT" satellite personal tracker. I was just registering and activating my unit and realized I don't have any decent contacts for the "HELP" feature. My only buddy with a boat works on the slope and is never home. If you frequent the Susitna drainage and want to exchange contact info that would be great. I run an 18" Wooldridge Xtra Plus/150 jet and usually run downstream of Deshka Landing. If interested just send me a Private message with your phone and email and I'll hit ya back with mine.

Thanks in advance...
    Dan

Dan, I have a SPOT and took a different approach than you did. My contacts are people that are not on the water and are at home. That way the SPOT sends the message to their email and texts to their phone. That way they will be home and can send help to me.

I am thinking the odds of you and someone else you don't know of being on the river at the same time are fairly slim.

Just a suggestion.

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

hap

Just bought a SPOT for a Gulf crossing from Juneau to Whittier. After being unable to initiate service or contact anyone to make it happen I gave up on it as a ridiculous joke. Do you really want to trust an outfit you cannot reliably contact?

Upgrade to a Sat phone and do it right...
    YMMV
    art

I'd say have contacts at home also. If you had another boater as a contact. It is very likley that he would not have cell coverage to even get the text msg in the first place. I have a spot. It has worked fairly well for me. Both on the boat and out hunting on foot as well as snowmachining.

I did a lot of reading about the SPOT system before I purchased mine. It seems to work in most places that I venture to. I have had nothing but positive results with mine, and take it on every fishing trip (PWS), hunting trip and snowmachining trip that I go on.

My wife has grow acustom to me sending her the "Im OK" message once per day when I am out. I have it sent to her email, cell phone and also to my own cell phone. When I get back into cell coverage, I am sure that my wife got her notification if I get mine.

I like the SPOT and have had no issues so far. I feel it is a great tool for checking in with someone at home when you are out of cell coverage.

AkBillyBow

Quote Originally Posted by AkBillyBow View Post
    I did a lot of reading about the SPOT system before I purchased mine. It seems to work in most places that I venture to. I have had nothing but positive results with mine, and take it on every fishing trip (PWS), hunting trip and snowmachining trip that I go on.

My wife has grow acustom to me sending her the "Im OK" message once per day when I am out. I have it sent to her email, cell phone and also to my own cell phone. When I get back into cell coverage, I am sure that my wife got her notification if I get mine.

I like the SPOT and have had no issues so far. I feel it is a great tool for checking in with someone at home when you are out of cell coverage.

AkBillyBow
    Yup, what he said. Just one of many "tools" that one could have. Not necessarily the only one.

I took mine out in the sound last weekend for the first time. My family members back home enjoyed keeping up to date with the tracking feature and had piece of mind due to the check in and custom messages that we sent.

I set up my non-sos help feature much like the others. Send the message to people who will be home and can get into contact with the real people who can hopefully help you. You can always send it to the people with the ability to help too, I dont think there is a limit on the number of emails or texts it will send.

Excellent product IMHO

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i agree set it up to contact some one that will be home.. mine sends email and sms text messages to each of my contacts, your family and friends will find a way to send you help if you need it.. if nothing else my wife knows to get on here and post a message to find someone and send them my way...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default spot

hap, not sure whats up with your unit, but my unit has been flawless for the year i have had it. never have sent for help, but use the ok button all the time, and all my friends track me when im out and about. i just love mine, and think it is a great tool to have with me, as i usually travel by myself up the yentna river year around

One other thing to add. People can use Google Earth and have your position shown on the Goolge Earth map. Each entry will show where you are on the map (at that time) and they can track your travels, as well as know that you are OK when they receive a message from you.

I really like mine and will continue to subscribe to their services and use my SPOT as a check-in / emergency tool.

AkBillyBow

I bring my SPOT on the SU and have used it many times, but not for an emergency there. Mostly to tell my other boating friends where I am and that I am OK. There is always someone on the SU, especially downstream of the Deshka landing. If you need help, but not 911, you can usually flag someone down that can either help you out or take you up/down stream to some sort of cell coverage. A well charged and water proofed cell phone is a must. I have used the SPOT 911 function before (not on the SU), and it worked just as advertised. The "real person" on running the rescue from SPOT was on the ball and worked hard for several hours to get all the parties notified and confirmed of the rescue. I am not sure of the customer service, but the rescue service was great.

There have been two 911 rescues in the last 2 weeks up in the Brooks Rage region that were successful due to people carrying their spots. A good tool to have if you ask me. I wont be out without it anymore.