Thread: Engine room gremlin(s)

Default Engine room gremlin(s)

Any help would be greatly appreciated with the following mystery:

My boat partner and I own a 2003 2858. Just after he left the Whittier harbor last weekend the alarm sounded, the engine started to sputter and he shut it down. The engine was overheating and we figured it was a bad impeller. We replaced the raw water impeller (half the splines missing), back flushed the heat exchanger and the oil cooler to get all the impeller parts out, and put it all back together.

When we tried to start it up to check our work, the engine turned over strong but would not fire. This is very puzzling to me, as we only fooled with the cooling system, not the fuel or electrical systems.

Thanks in advance for any hints!
    Chris

Default auto shutdown ?

I'm just taking a shot at it here, but sounds like there could be an Auto Shutdown something or other that kicked over when it got that hot?
    Worth calling your engine manuf or mechanic about?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

What engine does it have in it? Well I think you were on a previous thread... And have a 350 MPI with a bravo III?? Does it have any reset button on it anywhere near the main computer box on the motor?

Our boat has a reset button on the main computer. Also, the "module" in the electronic ignition (under the distributor cap)goes out about every year. We always carry and extra with us just in case, I believe it is like a $70 part. Our motor is a 7.4 L merc cruiser.

Default I'll take a stab at it....

Crr,

Sorry to hear about the malfunction. I'll need a little more info to make an armchair diagnostic. What specific make and model is the engine?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Default For what it's worth...

After launching in Whittier a couple weeks ago, I couldn't get my boat to fire, turned over just fine, but about burned up the starter cranking it. After taking a couple minutes to collect my thoughts and cool off a bit, I realized that I had inadvertently hit the emergency cut-off switch while detailing the cabin a couple days earlier. Re-set the switch and it fired right up.

I guess my point is, sometimes is the simplest things that get overlooked.

Quote Originally Posted by crr View Post
    Any help would be greatly appreciated with the following mystery:

My boat partner and I own a 2003 2858. Just after he left the Whittier harbor last weekend the alarm sounded, the engine started to sputter and he shut it down. The engine was overheating and we figured it was a bad impeller. We replaced the raw water impeller (half the splines missing), back flushed the heat exchanger and the oil cooler to get all the impeller parts out, and put it all back together.

When we tried to start it up to check our work, the engine turned over strong but would not fire. This is very puzzling to me, as we only fooled with the cooling system, not the fuel or electrical systems.

Thanks in advance for any hints!
    Chris
    Chris I have the same boat, same motor, same year. Lets het hooked up. If you have it here in Anchorage lets talk.

Email sent as you do not have PM's set up yet.

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions, folks! All good things to think about. Here's a little more information in response to your questions/suggestions:

My engine is a 2003 350 Merc MPI with the Bravo III. I'm certain that it wasn't the emergency kill switch. I only have one of those that I'm aware of, on the fly bridge, and I bypassed it last year (I almost never use the fly bridge, and the switch repeatedly broke/dislodged and so was a liability).

On my next trip to Whittier, I'll check the module on the electronic ignition (once I figure out what/where that is). I'll also research whether I have a reset button on the main computer.

If it was an automatic shut down that has to be reset, it happened after it cooled, which wouldn't make sense to me. My partner shut the boat down himself, let it cool, and actually was able to fire it up two subsequent times before having to again shut it down each time due to overheating. It was only after I did the impeller repair that we were unable to get it to fire.

Dupont: I haven't received your email, but I'll fix my PM setting and send you a message.

On my way to Odies to see if I can get some tips there, and get on the wait list in case I can't solve it.

Thanks, and any more thoughts that may come to you would be appreciated!
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by crr View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions, folks! All good things to think about. Here's a little more information in response to your questions/suggestions:

My engine is a 2003 350 Merc MPI with the Bravo III. I'm certain that it wasn't the emergency kill switch. I only have one of those that I'm aware of, on the fly bridge, and I bypassed it last year (I almost never use the fly bridge, and the switch repeatedly broke/dislodged and so was a liability).

On my next trip to Whittier, I'll check the module on the electronic ignition (once I figure out what/where that is). I'll also research whether I have a reset button on the main computer.

If it was an automatic shut down that has to be reset, it happened after it cooled, which wouldn't make sense to me. My partner shut the boat down himself, let it cool, and actually was able to fire it up two subsequent times before having to again shut it down each time due to overheating. It was only after I did the impeller repair that we were unable to get it to fire.

Dupont: I haven't received your email, but I'll fix my PM setting and send you a message.

On my way to Odies to see if I can get some tips there, and get on the wait list in case I can't solve it.

Thanks, and any more thoughts that may come to you would be appreciated!
    Chris
    There is no reset on the computer......You are talking with the right guy. Odie should get you off in the right direction. While on his wait list if you want to give it a go let me know. Sounding like the boat is still in Whittier. So let me know if you would like another set of eyes. Would give me a good reason to take a ride with the bike.

Have you ever changed either of the fuel pumps? Also note I believe I have a whole ignition setup that came off my motor when I was having a problem, cap, wires, and ignition module......after a certain shop(not in Anchorage) insisted that it was everything but a fuel pump problem.

Here my junk address F1000SnoPro@hotmail.com change the word hotmail to live

Default Going tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    There is no reset on the computer......You are talking with the right guy. Odie should get you off in the right direction. While on his wait list if you want to give it a go let me know. Sounding like the boat is still in Whittier. So let me know if you would like another set of eyes. Would give me a good reason to take a ride with the bike.

Have you ever changed either of the fuel pumps? Also note I believe I have a whole ignition setup that came off my motor when I was having a problem, cap, wires, and ignition module......after a certain shop(not in Anchorage) insisted that it was everything but a fuel pump problem.

Here my junk address F1000SnoPro@hotmail.com change the word hotmail to live
    Dupont,

Sent you an email to your address above.

Thanks,
    Chris

Default Gremlin found

Thanks to everyone who replied; thought I'd report back about the fix.

My mechanic suggested that maybe when I was back flushing the raw water system I got the distributor wet, causing it to short out. In that case, it should fire up when it dried out. Not sure if it was a wet distributor or not, but it did fire up when I went down this weekend. Very hard start, and coughing for the first 15 seconds, but after that she ran fine and started fine.

I thought I saw that gremlin slip out the stern and run to the Glaciercraft next to me .

Remember to check your fuel/water separator and add a few containers of HEET if you have any doubts. Over 75 percent of hard starting issues anyone in our hunting or fishing parties experienced either in ATV's, snowmobiles or boats were traced back to water in the fuel.
    Tennessee