Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Skunked in Juneau

Cool Getting Skunked in Juneau

Anybody got the good word on the bite around Juneau. My luck started red hot Saturday, but has been terrible since.
    I've watched all the snagging at DIPAC but not my thing. I've tried to catch dollies, chum, king, silver... not having any luck anywhere.
    Tried Amalga, DIPAC, Fish Creek, False Outer point, Montana Creek... Anybody got the word?

Quote Originally Posted by krustydklawn View Post
    Anybody got the good word on the bite around Juneau. My luck started red hot Saturday, but has been terrible since.
    I've watched all the snagging at DIPAC but not my thing. I've tried to catch dollies, chum, king, silver... not having any luck anywhere.
    Tried Amalga, DIPAC, Fish Creek, False Outer point, Montana Creek... Anybody got the word?

Echo cove is producing for Pinks....

Fish Creek was kind of dead when I was there on Monday. Does not seem to be a large number of fish in there yet, and the boats are still trolling in the cove...

This time last year I was doing red hot on fishing, but I haven't seen the numbers yet this year.

I'm thinking the runs are a few weeks late...They'll be here soon though...

Wink good to know

I was planning on Echo Cove tomorrow. Good to know. Thanks. I'm praying my luck will change.
    Oh please Obama Hopie McChangie, please say onto the fish - bite onto KrustyDklawn's line.

yea Echo Cove is red hot right now, the G/F limited out in under an hour on saturday. I heard Amalga is producing chums pretty well right now.

Salmon creek if you want dollies.

no word on the snagging pond or DIPAC.
    I Wish i could change my name to Shimano, because i recently started hating Ambassdor Abu_Garcia.

Amalga is doing great for chummies right now, but they are pretty tight-lipped. I fished there for a couple of hours friday and caught 1 (but it was nice and chrome). The guy I was fishing with had no hits on hardware, but they will take slowly stripped pink flies.

Fish creek was doing okay when I fished it last week. I got 1, and almost got another that must have been 35 lbs.

Montana is doing okay for dollies, but good luck getting them on hardware. 3 tonight, but they would only take 8mm mottled beads. And it had to be bounced off their nose.

I havent got out to echo yet, but I think I'll hit it saturday.

Wink thanks

Thanks for the tip. Got my limit in very little time. Thinking about trying it again in the morning. Saw lots and lots of chum at Amalga. Couldn't get them to even look at anything I put in front of them.

Try dropping your rod in the water and leave it over night. That worked for you last trip.

Default May not be cost effective.

Quote Originally Posted by akshrop View Post
    Try dropping your rod in the water and leave it over night. That worked for you last trip.
    Since the rod has to be "Closely Attended" it may cost you some money. You will get a ticket for leaving a rod overnight.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Dave, you have to know the story. Krusty is a good friend of mine. a few years ago, he dropped his rod in 15 feet of water. The next day we recovered his rod with a 36ish inch Pike. Actually we recovered the fish and the bait, but lost the rod and reel. Krusty is high strung when fishing. I have some funny pictures that I will not post if he pays me some good money.

I am not talking trot lines here. He actually lost his rod into the water and almost lost mine when he spazzed out trying to get his back after he dropped it. Lucky for him, he caught my rod before it hit the water. Being the skipper, losing mine would have cost him a long swim back.

Fishing was red hot at Echo Cove today...

Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post
    Fishing was red hot at Echo Cove today...
    Yesterday too... most are still nice and chrome. One particularly large male got me into backing 3 times...

Cool Back in the dungeon

My Alaska trip was awesome. Would have loved to have hung with my buddy shrop, but maybe next time. Overall, I left Juneau with Echo producing red hot. I didn't even need to try anywhere else after giving my luck a try there. Caught my limit 4 days there. Used a pink spoon and it did wonders on my ultralight baitcaster.
    Did catch a coho in Montana with very little effort.
    BTW: Shrop-I broke my new favorite rod. Perhaps it's my new tradition to destroy my favorite rod during my Alaska trip.
    Missed you and your family bro.
    Could have caught a pickup load of fish at Amalga but could have only done so if I resorted to snagging or hand granades. NOT MY STYLE! Not fishing as far as I'm concerned. Disappointed with the numbers I saw snagging around Juneau... It was the only disappointment from the trip. DIPAC was insane with the snagging. I actually caught a king on my second throw there using a little brown mepps. Overall-Juneau is crazy beautiful!!!!! and the fishing got great after i found the fish.

i think you caught a chum in montana. there is no way silvers are running yet.
    I Wish i could change my name to Shimano, because i recently started hating Ambassdor Abu_Garcia.

Hopefully he has pictures of the "Coho" I would be interested to hear about that. Seem like an odd mistake to make, coho vs chum. It also could have been a small king, hatchery strays are known to go into Montana Creek.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

AKBoater... I'd love to post the picture... please tell me how... the function is asking for a url... does that mean the picture has to be posted elsewher on the internet already? Please explain and I'd love to hear the forensics. lol.

goto http://imageshack.us, upload it there. you do not need to sign up or anything.
    2.then when its uploaded goto the left where it says "forum code".
    3. copy the forum code
    4. paste the forum code in this thread

also you do not have to mess with the image ico nhere. that for when its not already typed for you (i.e. a direct link to that website).

PM if you need further help, you can email me the pic and ill do it for you.

Im dying to see this pic!!!!!!!!!!

well seeing how chums are the same general size as cohos i dont think it would be to hard. especially if it was bright. but yea your right in a sense, i would be willing to bet all chums in montana are turned now, so it would be hard to mistake. But no offense OP, he might not be educated in salmon types and mistaked it based on strickly size...

I can't figure the image function... I was able to post my king, but overloaded file size after that. You've got my curiosity up... I checked my fish ID field book again. According to the book, I am 100% sure it's a coho. What's your email address?

sending PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast