Thread: Thinking about doing Six Mile....

Default Thinking about doing Six Mile....

in the next few weeks, I don't want to go solo.
    If there is anybody else out there, that's interested in running it with me.
    Looking for somebody with enough experience to get down, SAFELY, that has experience with boat assited rescue, swift water, and real rapids.
    I have quite a bit of experience in the states, but so far have only done easy rivers up here.
    I'm gonna be taking a scouting trip with one of the commercial services either next weekend or the following, I'd like to ride it with anybody interested.
    Also looking for advice on boat selection, I currently have 3 rafts (16' cat, 14' cat, and an 11' cat).
    I'm leaning towards the 14'er (some of the spots in the canyon look pretty tight for a 16' with 27" tubes.
    Thanks for any advice.

Is the 11-footer a real ww play cat and not some kind of fish-cat? The 11 or 14 will do fine. I find my 12 foot play cat the perfect size for Six Mile.

Check the gauge before you go: http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydro...,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

Sixmile has been hovering right near the 11' level (about 3000 cfs) for weeks and is expected to rise a bit for the weekend. I believe the usual cut off for commercial trips is about 11.2'. This is a pretty high level and you will find that most eddies are washed out. Some of the usual drops and holes are buried, but the ones that remain will be monsters. It's a great time to book a ride with one the guide services if you're looking for a really wild ride. Of course they might have to cancel on you, but I think it's worth that risk.

I personally, don't run it over 10.5' because almost all Sixmile deaths occur above that. For my use, anything over 10.0' something like your larger boat would be OK, but at lower levels I would prefer something smaller. However, I have taken my quad tube Aire Cougar (17.5') down Sixmile at less than the 8.9' level (500 cfs) several times, so I know it can be done.

Also, Sixmile gets more technical at lower levels, which for the pilot can be a more fun experience and great practice at boat control. Riders will still get a nice ride, but far from the excitement of higher water. Between 10.3 and 9.8 is my favorite level.

There's still a lot of snow up high in that area, so it might be a few more weeks before the water gets below the middle 10's. After that it's likely to drop well below 10' in a week or two. After that only rain will bring it up.

Half way down the page is our Alaska trip from last year. Part two includes our trip down 6 mile with NOVA. We had a great time.

http://markandchrislundin.com/Fishing.htm